Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i called and went to like 4 ford dealerships!
one idiot says my car probably has a 6k rpm rev limit because anything over 6krpm is gonna damage my engine?

is that why it starts redlining at 7250?

do 2004 svtf have a rev limiter?
(seriously do they?)
oh and they guy i talked to who "has been working on ford focus for 10 years" said that svtf came out pre-2000.
what an idiot.

im so pissed.

please help

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if the limit is at 7300 why does my car hit 6k rpm then just like stop.

he said that there is some thing in the PCM at 6000 rpm or something.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Thats a good question. It shouldnt. SVT cars should hit between 7200-7300 before they hit the limiter. If yours has traction control and you start spinning, then it will cut back, but it would do that alot sooner.

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its really making me mad!
like nobody at ford knows anything so its really not helping asking them.

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh and i dont have traction control!
so hahah this is still a mystery

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Guy sounds like an idiot. Mike (B16sir1991) up there works for Ford aswell. Unless someone tampered with your cars ECU, it will have a fuel cut at 7200 or 7300 which is programed into the factory ECU. I wouldn't recommend hitting it all the time but your car will rev all day to 7000+rpm.

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well see my car wont go above 6500 while in gear. it just acts like its hitting a rev limiter.

i asked if there was anyway they could reload the stock tune to the vehicle. (idk if it has a different tune on it or if the stock tune is erased or what)

and he never clearly answered that question

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
where do i get an aftermarket tune?
besides tom.
i cant dish ou 450 bucks

·
Regulator...mount up
3,026 Posts
So ur neddle just STOPS @ 6.5k? or just loses power anywhere above dat? i agree very weird...[screwy]

p.s. who is this tech u speak of? Lets grille him [gunfire]

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah and losing power at 6k rpm

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
hmmm, sounds like DSI issues?

do a search on DSI clip and IMRC motors. sounds like your intake isnt switching to short-runner position

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
Well you'd know if you were hitting the rev limiter, the one or two times I have bounced off the limiter it felt like I hit a brick wall. We're not talking "hmm there seems to be a loss of power" but "what the hell was that?!"until I realized I had over-revved. Maybe you have fuel supply or DSI issues. [dunno]

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well it felt like i hit a wall when i was in first and hit 6000 rpms haha

idk how fuel supply would only do that at 6k rpms

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
In the past, I've had cars that had clogged fuel filters, or bad spark plugs, that ran fine at lower RPM's, but when pushed hard the engine would falter. Just a thought, I'm no expert.

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well i put new spark in today and still did the same thing.

everytime i try depressurize the fuel system i can nver get the fuse out.
so i cant change the fuel filter

·
Registered
210 Posts
dont worry about the fuse i changed mine the other night just take of the gas cap u will lose a lil gas when u take the line off thats normal but it wont dump out i have a 04 svt as well all i did was turn the key on and off like 3 times to pump the fuel into the system just make sure there was fuel in the line

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
if the limit is at 7300 why does my car hit 6k rpm then just like stop.

he said that there is some thing in the PCM at 6000 rpm or something.
He was probably referring to our DSI (Dual Stage Intake) as it will switch over to the short runners at 6000 RPMs but the 04s or newer software changed it to 5000RPMs.

A broken DSI clip will not act as a rev limiter and kill all power, it will make it run like crap and your gas millage will definatly go down as it's not being efficient.

**added**
Oh I remember a few weeks ago while I was driving on the highway, I lossed all power and had to shift all the way down to 1st gear as my car was stumbled. My Traction Light came on too. Turned out to be my TPS(Throttle Position Sensor) and it felt like I hit a wall or the rev limiter but staying on the gas didn't do anything and the RPMs just dropped until I would downshift and did it again. Before I diagonsed the TPS problem, I cleaned out my Mass Airflow Sensor, Throttle Body and Spark Plugs which didn't help. Glad I did that because now I hear that swoosh from the TB when I shift like when I first got my Cold Air Intake. [:D]

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.