Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
yes i know the spring sits inside the lever, i dont have problems with that, but i was reading it could go outside of it, it didnt happen to me and it was barely stuck in the new lever.

what im asking is what is the function of the spring... i know its to take he lever back to its original position, the thing is that it needs to be holding to the manifold somewhere to do that job. I remember that the old lever was harder to be moved the 45°, this one is easier, so i guess my spring is not doing its job.

And the lever is not that tight, i cant see the little pivot where the retainer grabs yet, i hit it with some plastic tools but not hard, should i go with it or that is not the way to do it?
BUMP! anyone know what this spring does? i have been running my car without the spring with no problems but would like to know if the spring does anything?

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
The spring provides even pressure on the internal rotating assembly. There is another spring inside the manifold on the other end, and without the spring in the DSI lever, the rotating assembly can twist over time, causing ports furthest from the spring to not fully seal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The spring provides even pressure on the internal rotating assembly. There is another spring inside the manifold on the other end, and without the spring in the DSI lever, the rotating assembly can twist over time, causing ports furthest from the spring to not fully seal.
Thanks for the info caysE, is there anywhere online I could buy this spring do you know? I'm in the uk and ford dont sell the spring here??

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
You could send a request on fordpartsuk.com or give them a ring. They might be able to help, but otherwise I'm not sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Epic thread bump!

I have a broken clip/lever and have removed the metal pin, but the plastic piece is now seemingly stuck to the DSI. I started out by gently tugging and made my way up to pliers. I'm moving the whole car trying to get it off. I sprayed a small amount of PB blaster to try and slip it off, but still no luck. I obviously don't want to break the DSI, but need to get this off pretty desperately. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Was the broken end left in the cable end clip?
If so use as a template to grind the head of a sheet metal screw.
Pilot drill the stuck piece and screw it partially in. The one I made never failed. No need for a metal assy, especially usefull if yours is stuck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Was the broken end left in the cable end clip?
If so use as a template to grind the head of a sheet metal screw.
Pilot drill the stuck piece and screw it partially in. The one I made never failed. No need for a metal assy, especially usefull if yours is stuck.
No it wasn't I had an interesting situation! A previous owner did the screw mod, and I replaced the IMRC unit. After a few months of use, the screw broke out from the clip/lever, and was left in the cable end clip. The area around the screw got shredded, so the screw mod is only temporary. I'd recommend people to reinforce the screw while they're at it!

I went back at it a couple hours ago and yanked on the lever left to right, but not violently. Popped it out! The spring shot out but I surrounded the area with rags to stop it from going anywhere (do this!!)

Thanks for the feedback though!

-Nick

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking for some help or directions for repairing the DSI lever on my 2002 SVT.

I know it's been 5 years since this thread was active and I'm currently replacing my DSI lever with the CFM billet one and I came to this thread for the how to.

I've gotten pretty far with the text from this post but without pics I have no idea how the cable is supposed to go back on the lever. As this car had the screw mod which broke after about 5 months of owning the car.

If the images are still showing and its just not working on my phone just let me know and I'll pull up the page on my laptop. Thanks.

EDIT:
Just from messing around with the cable and testing where it should go and also looking up images of the IMRC contraption I can see that the piece on the cable should attach to the little knobby deal that sticks out of lever. However the clip piece on the cable appears to be quite broken with no way to hook onto the lever anymore. I guess I'll be replacing the IMRC as well over that little piece of plastic that goes on the cable its self. Oh brother.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts