Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to get some feedback on what others think, and what I should do/check to fix this problem.

I'm selling my Turbo-SVT focus and wanted to make sure the tune was set safely for test-drivers, etc

here is what happened:

1) Car was running with the tune that got put on in 05 (I wanted to make sure it was safe for people to test drive so I attempted to get some data log data) I couldn't get the data log to work (out of date predator)
2) I restored the original back up, and then upgraded the predator
3) Had Tom send me the same tune that he still had on file from 05, loaded that tune, car started for 2 minutes (ran VERY rough, then stalled out)
4) car has never cranked again...

my odometer is reading numbers so as far as I know that means that the ECU is still good (correct me if I'm wrong). Are there certain wires, switches I should check?

- I've checked fuses/relays.
- jumped the starter (it cranked but never started)
- restored the original backup (still doesn't crank)

any other suggestions. if its not running I'm going to lose a lot of money in the sale.

thanks

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
How long has it been sitting before you tried to start it?
How old is the fuel?
Have you checked for blown fuses?

*Tom doesn't work for Focus Sport/Werks and I'm sure he'll scold you for mentioning the two in the same sentence, LOL.

Check the basics first, fuel and spark.
Pull a plug wire and crank, does spark jump? (check all 4 just to be thorough)
Fuel is tough but see if you can log rail pressure. If you have pressure you should have fuel. You can also Ohm the injectors to see if one is stuck. All should read within 0.01 Ohm of each other.

It could be flooded. Pull the injector connectors and crank the car clear. It might try to run but let it die out then crank again to clear all the fuel. Plug them back in and see if it starts.

If it's sat for a while the rings could of got tight and it's not making full compression. That would also mean the oil is fuel contaminated now and will need to be changed before it takes out a bearing.
You might be able to free the rings by letting Kerosene or Diesel sit in the cylinders. Same deal with oil contamination.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is all well and good... but the car doesn't even crank.

but to answer your questions:
1) car had a fresh tank maybe 2 months ago, and at its longest it sat a week without running in those 2 months
2) I've checked every fuse/relay that could possibly relate to ignition/starter/engine/electrical. not only did i pull and look i took a test light to them all

3) fixed the Tom mistake :)

How long has it been sitting before you tried to start it?
How old is the fuel?
Have you checked for blown fuses?

*Tom doesn't work for Focus Sport/Werks and I'm sure he'll scold you for mentioning the two in the same sentence, LOL.

Check the basics first, fuel and spark.
Pull a plug wire and crank, does spark jump? (check all 4 just to be thorough)
Fuel is tough but see if you can log rail pressure. If you have pressure you should have fuel. You can also Ohm the injectors to see if one is stuck. All should read within 0.01 Ohm of each other.

It could be flooded. Pull the injector connectors and crank the car clear. It might try to run but let it die out then crank again to clear all the fuel. Plug them back in and see if it starts.

If it's sat for a while the rings could of got tight and it's not making full compression. That would also mean the oil is fuel contaminated now and will need to be changed before it takes out a bearing.
You might be able to free the rings by letting Kerosene or Diesel sit in the cylinders. Same deal with oil contamination.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
try disconnecting the battery for 5-10min.

so you turn the key and nothing happens? no sounds no nothing?

i would check the ground for the starter (there is a strap that goes to a starter bolt in the bell housing)

is the security light flashing at you like crazy?

i'm amusing you checked every single fuse. there is one for the PATS system and ECU and if its popped. car = no crank/start.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah I turn the key and nothing happens minus all the accessory lights/radio come on... plenty of battery power :) but no sound at all, not even a click.

1) was under there (at the starter) the ground seemed fine, we even jumped the starter and it cranked but didn't turn over

2)disconnected the battery for 5 minutes, and tried, then over night. nothing

3) "is the security light flashing at you like crazy?" the little red light? never noticed

4) every fuse... and every relay

try disconnecting the battery for 5-10min.

so you turn the key and nothing happens? no sounds no nothing?

i would check the ground for the starter (there is a strap that goes to a starter bolt in the bell housing)

is the security light flashing at you like crazy?

i'm amusing you checked every single fuse. there is one for the PATS system and ECU and if its popped. car = no crank/start.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
check your clutch switch?

for the car to crank.
1.) PATS codes have to match
2.) clutch switch is tripped (you can check this by putting a wire between in pins, if it starts you have a bad switch)

the little red light can blink you codes, usually if its flashing fast it means PATS doesn't match up.

hope you figure this out. lol. my 04 was having like "seizures" when trying to start it (lights all flickered, my volt/oil pressure guage went all funky and it was randomly beeping/dinging) too out and checked all fused, checked all the grounds, reset the car. nothing worked. so i was pissed and was swearing then said "if you dont f[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]ing start ill sell you" and fired right up no issues since, lol.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
May sound odd but,
If you have a second ignition key, try starting with it.

Story,
I had an instance where my car wouldn't crank. Had all power just like you, radio, lights, HVAC. Just by chance I tried my other key and the car fired right up.
For some reason the first key lost it's programming.
I've used the same key to start the car since it was new and the others been in the house. Just used the 'new' key to reprogram the old one and everything went back to normal. Just odd.

Tom, I didn't catch the no crank v. no start right away, was in a hurry to get to the parts store.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

ininhell... IMINLOVE. I tried another key and it cranked, Going to load the tune back on.

THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE

P.S. I had checked the clutch switch before

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know the keys have a chip in them. So when you get a new key you can't just get one cut to match you have to have the car there and have the key programmed to run the car.

I'm so glad this was a simple fix, and shame on me for not trying one of the other keys.

programmed key? can you explain that?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts