Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Are your SVT rims balanced on the inside or the outside?

• Inside

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • Outside

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to know if your SVT rims are balanced on the outside or the inside of the rim.

The place that put my new tires on, after the original Contis, have totally jacked up my rims with the weights. i.e. crimping the weights so hard they have broken the coating and chipping my rims around the bolts. I can't prove that they did it so I know arguing with them won't get me anything . . .[?|]

Sorry for the rant but I washed my car today and I get so P[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]** OFF when I detail my wheels.[:(!]

-Thanks

·
Registered
607 Posts
A good shop will add weights on the inside behind the spokes just like mine are..

A cheap stupid shop will ruin the look or worse by using older style lead weights

·
Registered
511 Posts
I didn't know you could put the balance weights on the inside [slap]

Crap.......

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
^^^ that's what i got

·
Registered
169 Posts
yea but they do fall off so check em every now and again

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
cool.. im looking into repainting my rims (i.e. let a professional do it) and then i'll prolly have to get them rebalanced.....
anyone know who in michigan uses the Hunter Road Force (IIRC) machine????
specifically SE MI...

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
only use sticky weights. the hammer on weights work the best (not to mention they're reusable) which is why most places use them unless you request sticky weights. but the hammer on weights look like shit and they damage the finish.

oh and the weights go on the inside or outside depending where the weight is offbalance. i'fe installed a couple tires and you take a few measurements then the machine spins the wheel and then it tells you exactly where the weight is needed. then you spin the wheel again and make sure it correct. balancing wheels is the easy part.

putting low pro tires on rims SUCKS especially if you're trying to do 22's. they make a really loud noise once you get them on though.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
If you want a good job on a balance go to discount tire and ask for a tape-weights instead of clip ons. On aftermarket wheels they use clip ons on the back of the wheel and tape weights (sticky weights) on the inside right next to the spokes. Ive worked there for about 3 years at diffrent locations, and everyone there is trained on diffrent weight types, plus if you buy the tires from them then you get balance for free anytime for the life of the tire!!!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
stokedsvt said:
yea but they do fall off so check em every now and again

You would know if the weights fell off because the wheel(s) would start shimmying... And i would think centrifugal force would push the weights outwards towards the wheel making them hard to fall off....

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I went to Discount Tires and bought 27 1/4 ounce pieces for 3 bucks....By the way, welcome to FF. [thumb]

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
I went to the dealership where I bought my car, and got a mount and balance. they used some adhesive on the weights, and it ate into my paint on the rims.I had to scrape and use steel wool to get the crap off, cause it looks like it got wet, and ran on the inside of the rim, and a little on the outside. Now every rim has a dark looking spot and it feels rough too....bastards....and my rims were looking fine before that too......

I know I can't proove shit, so I am stuck with them [:(]

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HaveBlue83 said:
I know I can't proove shit, so I am stuck with them [:(]
Exactly, I can't prove that they were the ones that jacked them up.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
<<anyone know who in michigan uses the Hunter Road Force (IIRC) machine????
specifically SE MI...>>

Check TireRack for preferred installers, I think the website lists which ones are using that system...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts