Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving my car and i was on 5th gear and then all the lights on the dashboard came on, parking light , cel, fuel door, all of them and then the revs went all the way to the top. Car didnt die, stereo was playing and after 10-15 seconds the car was fine. I havent had any problems with my car in the almost 4 years since i got it, it has around 43k miles and i dont have a cel . Any suggestions on where should i start looking?

Thanks

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
when you say revs went all the way to the top...did the motor rev up?? or was it just the speedo reading and acting all wacky?? thats weird it does that after you unplug the battery and then turn the key for the first time....the car wasent running funny or anything?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Check the plug on the back of the gauge cluster. If loose it'll do wacky things.
The other option is stray voltage from the ignition, even a misfire. Make sure your grounds are good and all that jazz.

·
Registered
4 Posts
what he said

Just a note to follow up on the electrical connectors thing. If you find one of the firewall pass-through connectors or PCM loose, take it apart, clean with electronics grade alcohol, and reassemble carefully.

What about the engine revs? Was it just the tach or did the motor rev up?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Greetings fellow Minnesotan.... I believe there were some issues with mold builup in the instrument clusters. I don't know exactly how the moisture and contamination gets in them but I do recall this being an issue that affected our body style foci.

In order to determine the severity of the issue we really need to know if the tach just freaked out or if the engine actually revved up.... but I'd guess it was just the gauge and if that's the case you have an electrical issue. Bad cluster or an issue with the cluster connector

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, i dont know about electrical problems, because i dont really have them, i just replaced the battery like 2/3 weeks ago( i just drove the car once before this happend) and everything seems to work perfectly , i checked the timing belt and seems in good shape , i havent checked the tach at all but i will take a look at it this weekend. Also i dont really know what happend, it was so fast and unexpected.

·
70 100 70 70 : (
1,978 Posts
that happened to me when my alternator went, why dont you go to autozone and have it checked

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, i havent had the car checked(busy with work and family), but it seems like when i have the stereo on the car will day for a few seconds and then will keep running, i drove it with the stereo off and no problem of this happening. Im thinkin on replacing the alternator and probably my grounds, just want to make sure Im going in the right direction.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts