Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2003 SVT water pump started leaking. It's a small leak that seems to be come out of a little sealed off outlet.

I have almost 70,000 miles on the car now so I am going to replace the pump and the belt.

I have 2 questions.

1. What is the little sealed off outlet that it is leaking?

2. What is the best/most reliable water pump available for the SVT?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The hole on the side of the pump is called a tell-tale, and it connects to a small cavity inside the pump body located between the mechanical seal which is the coolant boundary, and the bearings. Without the hole, any leakage through the seal would be forced through the bearings which would cause them to fail. The hole is situated to direct the coolant flow away from the timing belt area, which is good. I put a new Ford pump on mine when I did the timing belt at 90,000 miles. I used all Ford parts except the belt was a blue gates belt. Any Zetec pump will probably work pretty well. Even the crappy ones usually hold up, but they are not a lot cheaper in reality, and the pump is not the easiest one to change if it fails in short order. I would buy the Ford pump unless you are really trying to save a few dollars.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Looks like I'll go with the Ford pump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts