Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a focus, I really like both the ZX3 and the SVT models.
I just hope to get a couple questions answered when in the market for one of these cars.

As far as performance goes how do the two cars stack up to one another?

Is the extra performance worth the extra money?

What should I expect to pay for an SVT Focus?

The one I am thinking of buying is a 2004 ZX3

Anyone have an opinion on which is bettter?

I am a focus noob plz help

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
Extra money IS worth it for an SVT. I can't say enough about the SVT....increased power, 6-speed Getrag tranny, awesome suspension, and still get about 30mpg on the highway. And not to mention the SVT exterior and interior is awesome! [:D] You should be able to find a used SVT around $10k but you will have to do some looking because they are a fairly rare car. The SVT does have a few little problems but you can encounter problems in a normal focus too, I personally haven't had a single problem out of mine yet. Overall, i'd say SVT hands down if you can afford it. Keep in mind you do HAVE to run PREMIUM gas in the SVT....but honestly, at 30mpg highway you're not gonna notice the extra $0.20 for gas digging into your bank account, it's honestly not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You can find a used zx3 for around 1/2 that, and with the 5k you can get engine parts, upgraded suspension and brakes, interior, and a few other things and still be under 10k. Then you'd actually out perform a svt, IF done right.

IMO, it's all about what you want to start with and how much you want to spend. I could care less either way [:)~]

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
If you want a great car out of the box: SVT
If you want to build your own car on a budget: ZX3

The only cons on the SVT will be a higher purchase price (not really a con, but if you are on a budget, it doesn't help)
The cons of a ZX3 is it needs a lot to be similiar to a SVT in performance and it lacks exclusivity.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have about, $11,000 to work with

I found a blue ZX3 for 10k with about 17k miles on it

All the SVTs around that I find have about 50k and they are 10-15k for a price

Its great there is a focus community out here, I used to be a member of the RX-7 club when I drove my 7.

I did notice the interior of the SVT is MUCH nicer. I was always pretty uncomfortable in my friends ZX3

Oh, do they have two different engines? or are they both 2.0 dohc?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
SVT has awesome brakes!!!

I paid 13k for mine last year with 13k miles.

The block is the same, but the SVT adds
1) forged rods
2) high compression pistons
3) dual stage intake
4) variable valve timing on one side
5) bigger valves, stiffer springs
6) Cosworht tuned exhaust

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
ZX3 engines:

2000-2004: 2.0l Zetec
2003 (green states, not MN): 2.3l Duratec
2004 (option on Premium level, standard on Power Premium): 2.3l Duratec
2005+: 2.0l Duratec

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Egz said:
ZX3 engines:

2000-2004: 2.0l Zetec
2003 (green states, not MN): 2.3l Duratec
2004 (option on Premium level, standard on Power Premium): 2.3l Duratec
2005+: 2.0l Duratec
Are you saying I should opt for the 2.3l Duratec
Do they have a higher HP rating? I think the ztec is 136 hp

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Ah, forgot power numbers. These are stock numbers at the crank:

2.0l Zetec = 130HP
2.0l Duratec = 136HP
2.3l Duratec = 145HP
2.0l SVT = 170HP

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So i have been looking around, and the SVTs for sale have too many miles on them for the price....ZX3 it is.

Now I will have to find more comfy seats...ZX3 seats are poop imo

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
You can always check the buy/sell/trade forum...there's always someone there selling the svt seats...

And think of it this way...you get your choice of it having either the red or blue inserts ;) instead of just taking the color that comes with the car. (That is if they're up for sale and if you wait for the color you want)

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I would definitely get the SVT. There are more than a few things like chassis, transmission, and brake benefits that you won't get from a few thousand in mods. The modded ZX3 just wouldn't be the complete package the SVT is for the price difference. Not to mention that it looks great but still understated, and if you want to autocross or race you won't get screwed by class rules as you would trying to mod to match it. Also, everything in the SVT is built to factory standards, which can often be far higher, durability wise.

Not to mention that a modded ZX3 will be worth next to nothing when you move on to the next car, and the SVT will still be worth a very good percentage of your purchase price.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
True enough, but I dont think I plan any engine mods, I think that would void the warrenty that is still on the car

I would get an SVT if the one i see didnt have so many miles. I want to buy a car with under 25k, everyone selling their SVT seems to have driven them an awful lot so they have a ton of miles on them.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
It originally came out advertised as 149, and then was re-rated to 145. Why? No one knows. Its just easier to quote to final offical number than to confuse matter mention both ratings.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Google the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act to learn all about it...

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Raptorchef325 said:
SVT vs ZX3: Pros and cons
Gas mileage...my SVT got 16 no matter how I drove it. My wife's ZX3 gets 27 no matter how we drive it.

Price tag....I paid 16k (work at dealership) for my SVT and 4k for my wife's ZX3

·
Turbo!!!!
5,797 Posts
For $5,000.00 worth of mods you would not get close to the total package of and SVT.The 6 speed alone would be close to that. Check the link in my sig to see what other people payed for their SVTF's

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts