Focus Fanatics Forum banner

SVT vs ZX3 Focus

4K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  wordyahurdd 
#1 ·
Hey all, I currently own a ZX3 Focus, and I want to start modifying it to get more horsepower. My question to you guys is: which will get me a faster car for my money? Selling my ZX3 for an SVT, or simply modifying my ZX3?

If it helps, I have looked into SVT's and it will cost me about $4k for the SVT (after I sell my ZX3). So would that $4k be better spent on mods for my ZX3? or is it worth buying the SVT?

#3 ·
What mods are done to the ZX3? If none I say get the SVT, if you have IHE I say keep it and maybe go FI. Ford approached the SVTF as what a Focus owner would do with 10 grand. The result is a moderately more powerful, not much though, FANTASTIC handling, better interior and sound system, and exclusivity. If all your worried about its speed, though, buy an SRT-4, speed3, WRX, etc. The money spent on FI, IMO, far outweighs the performance benefit you can have from a stock FI car, Regular ZX3 or SVT. You could spend 4 grand to get the SVT but you'd need at least 6k more for FI. However you could spend maybe 4-6k for an SRT-4, spend 1200 and run 12s. I know this, my friend has one and has stage 1, a few other things and ran a 12.8

#4 ·
Moved to "SVT Owners Lounge".

I don't want to say you're comparing apples to oranges, but it's not far off.

By all means, $4K in mods would net you a faster car than an SVTF,
but would it be worth it, and still be sedate to drive on a daily basis?

What are your goals for the car (either car)?
Good solid transportation, or something to take the track, either drag strip or road/autocross course?

Remember, the SVTF right out of the box has some rather substantial upgrades over the base models.
1) Engine:
It's about as tweaked (besides an aftermarket tune) as it's going to get short of puting a blower or turbo on.
2) Brakes:
Extremely good and even well suited for track days with just the stock parts.
3) Suspension:
See above.
4) Getrag 6spd:
Exceptional gearing (close gear ratios) for road courses and autocrossing as well as the weekend getaway to some twisty country roads.
5) Then you get into unique exterior and interior features which are very tasefully done.

Is all the above SVTF "uniqueness" worth that $4K over your trade in?
Most in this forum would think so, and it's most likely why we bought our cars in the first place.

Something else to think about, when you're trying to figure out what to spend that $4K on your current car.
Intake, Header, and Exhaust on the standard models will still not keep up with the SVTF.
You need to open up the engine, and put in bigger cams and a new intake manifold at the minimum,
before you're going to start approaching the SVTFs power output.
Then....you're still short on suspension and braking.

Again, you need to think hard about what your ulimate goals are going to be out of either car.
That's a chunk of change to spend on the wrong thing if you're not going to be happy with it.

EDIT
Wow...that's about the most I've written here in a long time. [paranoid]

#5 ·
or just save the 4k for something else lol 4k can go VERY quick and you'll have not much to show for it

#6 · (Edited)
All the SRT-4s I see are priced at 10k+. I can get an SVT focus for around 8k (and I can sell my ZX3 for around 4k). Same with the Mazda3s, all 10k+. And I wont buy a WRX so I have never even looked into the price. The thing is, I love my focus, but I just want it to be faster ha.

Thanks for the input guys, I love the interior look of the SVT, so I am really leaning towards that.

My goals: To have a daily commuter that is quick and dependable. I do not want a track car.

#10 ·
I'm with you on staying away from getting a peon. Either the svtf or modding a zx3 you can't lose, & modding a Zetec zx3 is easier than that rats nest duratec.

#7 ·
Then an SVT is probably your best bet. Unmodded they are pretty reliable and quick, thats why I chose mine. If your plans do not include FI then I say go for it. 4K might make your car faster but it will still not have the all around package that the SVT has, and you can never buy the exclusivity.

#9 ·
Buy my '02 SVT Focus? it's in great shape and has less than 70k miles on it. I'm only asking $6800 for it. PM me for details. It's got all the best N/A power mods already, and upgraded suspension and brakes =] So basically you get a nice well taken care of SVTF, and approx. $3,000 in extras for free.

#14 ·
What about an ST have you thought about getting one of those? Personally I'm looking for ethier a ST or and SVT to get eventully. You can make more power N/A with your ZX3 than you could with an SVT you can make even more with a Duratec N/A but if you go F/I then the SVT would be the best bet. When you think about we actually have alot of options to think about in the focus world. I remember the days when it was just SPI or Zetec *sniff sniff e-tear*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.