Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MW2 NE1?
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to replace the valve cover gasket and want to know if its hard to take off? any helpful hints to help get it off easy without troubles? im gonna be painting it a different color since im taking it off...

·
Registered
7 Posts
i just did the vavle cover gaskets on my 90 SHO. it was not fun let me tell you that. haha but in all seriousness...

i dont know how many bolts there are holding the valve cover on, but it should be simple. just take the bolts off, an all necessary vacuum lines, coolant lines, an sensors if there is any. i dont have a focus yet so i wouldnt know the exact set-up with everything.

label all the bolts in a little ziplock baggie to make life easier putting it together when it is time. an really that should be it for the little 4 banger. just pay close attention to detail where everything hooks back up an always look for those tricky hidden bolts hidingg somewhere by the valve cover [cool]

an please, post pics of the cover when your down. goodluck man [wrenchin]

oh yeah, you dont really need rtv for the gasket when replacing. just put a tiny bit on the corners where it covers over the cams, just for the extra sealant. dont slap a bunch of that stuff all along the gasket. just a thin layer by the cams where they sit. an your good to go

·
MW2 NE1?
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah hopefully i can get a friend to help me out a bit that works at a ford dealership when he gets a chance to.. so would i need get this rtv for the gasket to help seal? would it be necessary to get or will just the gasket be fine?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Realistically, this is an easy 10-15 minute job. A 1990 SHO is not an SVT focus. Call the ford sponsor on here and order the gasket and grommets. Getting new grommets to will give a better seal. There is a how to on this to make it even easier. This will make it easy. But don't remove the VCT. Just unhook the clasp and leave it in place.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63381

And as far as painting while you have the valve cover off, that's not gonna work unless you have time to have it off for a day or two. It needs to be degreased, sanded, primed then painted. I've been through this and it wasn't great. But atleast I was lucky enough to have an extra Valve Cover.

·
MW2 NE1?
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah ima need the gommets. a couple of em are worn/torn. yeah i'll have the time to clean up the cover since we just started working 8 hour shifts. plus i dont drive the car at all unless i really need to cuz i still dont have my kit put on. and the shield guards in front of the front tires got tore up from rubbin on the tires. but since its sitting ima do the valve cover gasket, clean it etc prime/paint let it dry a couple of days in the house since the cold weather wouldnt really dry it quick.. so a 10-15 minute job then without the paintwork?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I took off my valve cover and painted it silver. The gasket isn't hard at all to take off. You just want to make sure that you lightly sand down the surface to remove any excess left behind. Also keep in mind that the SVT and the 2.0 DOHC ZETEC are totally different gaskets. And be sure to torque them to spec.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts