Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so let's have a serious topic to combat all the "fluff" lately. I finally decided it's time to let go of my old MR2 that's been sitting around collecting dust and spiders. I figure I'll probably be able to get someone to pay in the neighborhood of $1000-1200 for it. WITHIN roughly this price range, is modding my SVT pointless? In other words, all the little bits and pieces - intake, exhaust, UDP, etc. Enough of a gain to be worthwhile? Should I go a different route and do the suspension? Or should I just save the money towards something more serious, like a turbo/supercharger? Comments welcome, as long as they're not of the pointless variety...

·
Registered
712 Posts
With exhaust, off road pipe, throttle body, CAI and Underdrive pully people tell me my car feels alot different than there cars (SVT Focus owners), and I pull away from stock svt's pretty hard, so I'd say the small things are worth it.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
mid 160's with bolt ons seems worth it to me...mod away man.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
yep, exactly [:)]

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think I'm going to go the suspension way.. Bilstein shocks/coil overs, and OZ racing Superleggera's. that'll keep me from voiding my warranty with parts like the CAI, exhaust, etc.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
SVTus said:
I think I'm going to go the suspension way.. Bilstein shocks/coil overs, and OZ racing Superleggera's. that'll keep me from voiding my warranty with parts like the CAI, exhaust, etc.
you wouldn't void your warrenty with such items as those...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Kicknzx3 said:
you wouldn't void your warrenty with such items as those...
You sure about that? The dealer I bought my car from said it would.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SVTus, here's what the SVT Owner's Guide Supplement says:

"SVT does not recommend racing or modifying our vehicles..."

"Repairs are not reimbursable under warranty when:
•"the repairs are required because of abuse, misuse, racing, fire, negligence, accident, MODIFICATION or a natural disaster."

•"the repairs are required due to installation of a non-Ford part."

Here's my understanding of that policy. If they can trace the failure or malfunction of a part on your car to an aftermarket part or a modification done by you, then you get stuck with the bill. But you won't just flat-out void your warranty by installing these parts.

·
Registered
798 Posts
It won't they just want to rip you off. There is a law that prevents it from voiding the warrenty. Samething with the BMW M cars and the Ferrari Enzo. They say you can only use a certain oil or they won't warrant the engine. There is a law that pevents that as well, the oil must be provided for free if they want to require it. The oil for the Ferrari Enzo is like $76 a quart. It's all just a big rip off by the manufacturs and dealers to get your money.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, so within my projected puny budget of around one grand, what are the BEST mods to make to improve power, and still retain emissions legality here in California? I know this has been discussed in the past, but I want a fresh take on this. Maybe minds have changed out there since the last time someone asked this?

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
exhaust, udp, intake, cam-gear...all for about a grand [:)]

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, Kickn! Sounds good to me. Now I just have to find a sucker... uh, *buyer* to take my old MR2 off my hands.

[driving]

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
EuroZX3Focus said:
what year MR2?
It's ancient. 1986. About 157,000 miles on it. Black, with sport package (body kit, sport seats, "triangle" wheels, etc.) and starting to get to the point where it needs more repairs than I want to do. Timing belt, eventually a new clutch, CV joints, etc.

·
Registered
76 Posts
my dealer told me if I was to do anything I should be ready to pay to play if they can point out that the problem is coming from a mod then you are the one paying[:(] so I am waiting to get it all once the 5 yrs are up and go for it all[:D]

·
fOCUS Zetec 2.0
292 Posts
that's my opinion too. Wait the 3 years if ur worried (only 3 yr warranty for me[:(] ) and then hit it with a mid-life rejuventation when u no longer have a warranty to stop you, suck out another 25-30hp. It is illegal for them to void your warranty too under international law, ppl are right in saying what they have so far about that.(ooh look at me, the authority!!! lol)

And SVTus DAMN get thoe Oz wheels, they are THA BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!! BEST rims you can get in my mind. BUt that's just personal [cool]

·
Registered
132 Posts
Okay the SVTF suspension is decent as is... (my opinion) Little things that void warrenties and all... How much are you going to gain by taking your back seat out? 40 pounds? Adding the Offroad pipe at 7 HP but the fine for "messing with enviromental controls" (why I took mine off, Alaska threatened me with a $50,000 fine)... Go with a supercharger (intercooled). I thnk the vortec was supposed to push about 100 extra horses! but at a cost of about $4500!

Have the money go big!

·
Registered
374 Posts
dpm2000bolt said:
my dealer told me if I was to do anything I should be ready to pay to play if they can point out that the problem is coming from a mod then you are the one paying[:(] so I am waiting to get it all once the 5 yrs are up and go for it all[:D]
Why don't you just keep your stock parts and if something serious does happen reinstall the stock parts and say I dunno what happened?[scratch]

·
Registered
75 Posts
There's a lot of nickel and dime modifications out there that seem to only net you penny and nickel horsepower gains. Actually, "nickel and dime" is really big bucks, I'm seeing...

Yes, I'm already searching for go-fast goodies for my 2-day old SVT--woe is my checkbook balance. But $300 for a throttle body that gets you 3whp? Ack. Multiply that by 10 on both price & performance and you get $3000 for 30whp.

At that point, you could just buy a supercharger or turbo and be done with it. Probably have more horses at the wheels, too.

And particularly for the SVT, because in my opinion, there's NOTHING else that car needs. The handling and suspension... it's nothing short of remarkable.

Believe it or not, the minor 1/4 and 1/2 second gains some of you are looking for at the drag strip (or Ford forbid... street races) you can get from removing things like seats, front swaybar, extra tire, and proper launches. And going on a diet, perhaps. Lighten that thing up and the ETs go down--redneck physics.

Now apparently, the SVT-massaged 2.0 gives up some Zetec-fabulous low-end grunt for overall hp gains. To correct that deficiency (the only glaring one I've noticed so far), I'm looking at superchargers, because a turbo isn't going to fix the low-end torque problem. In fact, even a centrifugal supercharger traditionally won't do it as well as a twin-screw, so I'm leaning towards the Jackson Racing / FRPP kit right now. This winter perhaps?

So umm... there's my two cents on the nickel and dime mods thread. Sorry for all the posts this morning--I'm new and catching up.

Sincerely,

Beetle

1 - 20 of 36 Posts