Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Zios motorsports has a turbo kit coming out for the SVT. Does anyone have any thoughts on the kit. The hardware looks pretty good with the exception of the inlet pipe size (kinda puny looking). Im considering it and the procharger for my FI aspirations.

Highlights
220whp at 7 psi
should be under $4500
Tuning, MAF, Injectors included
Keeps the CAT

Downsides per my limited knowledge
Tuning with SCT... (I run a predator)
Tune for Cali (I live more than a mile in the sky)

I think that if i were to go with this, I'd have to get a tuner kit no injectors, maf or xcal and have it custom tuned up here by a diablo dealer

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Personally I dont like having the Turbo that far downstream.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is there something functionally wrong with that setup or is it just personal preference? the provided dyno chart seems to indicate pretty good spool time. but im such an amature that i really do have no clue how a turbo works.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
The hotter the exhaust gases the faster/easier the exhaust will flow, the fast you exhaust flows the faster your turbo will spool.

The farther away from the head the cooler the exhaust gas will become, the cooler/thicker the exhaust is the slower it will flow.

Back when I had my turbo wrapped my spool was insanely fast compared to how it spools now with just the downpipe wrapped.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so nothing a little jet hot coating or exhaust wrap couldnt cure? or am i missing the point here?

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
It wouldn't hurt, I know there are other cars out there that have turbos way in the back of the cars exhaust... I"m just not a fan of having it back that far.... but since the SVT turbo market has almost NO kits out then you either have to settle for a kit thats out there of build one yourself.... which really sucks.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
anyone else? words of wisdom, caution, excitement, etc?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Orange pretty much led you in the right direction. The xios kit has the downside of having the turbo on the other side of the engine, way downstream of the exhaust manifold. To me there kit looks like it is pretty well built. But it has that downfall. I think there are a couple on here with the zetec version of the xios kit as well as a few on FJ. Do a search for xios and maybe shoot them a pm and see what there thoughts are on the system. As for the procharger it also has its downsides (poor placement of intercooler), But it seems like it is pretty well liked by those that have it. Good luck in whichever you pick.[thumb]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Damage said:
Orange pretty much led you in the right direction. The xios kit has the downside of having the turbo on the other side of the engine, way downstream of the exhaust manifold. To me there kit looks like it is pretty well built. But it has that downfall. I think there are a couple on here with the zetec version of the xios kit as well as a few on FJ. Do a search for xios and maybe shoot them a pm and see what there thoughts are on the system. As for the procharger it also has its downsides (poor placement of intercooler), But it seems like it is pretty well liked by those that have it. Good luck in whichever you pick.[thumb]

Actually, unlike our remotely mounted zx3 kit, our svt kit places the GT28RS turbo in a conventional, manifold attached position. We use our own new custom stainless tubular equal length manifold which bolts directly to the turbo IN FRONT OF THE ENGINE. The downpipe is a 2.5" stainless mandrel bent piece which allows you to retain the stock SVT cat if you wish. Also, FYI, this kit also works on the regular zetec engine with a couple of minor modifications.

·
Registered
21 Posts
blkthunder said:
So Zios motorsports has a turbo kit coming out for the SVT. Does anyone have any thoughts on the kit. The hardware looks pretty good with the exception of the inlet pipe size (kinda puny looking). Im considering it and the procharger for my FI aspirations.

Highlights
220whp at 7 psi
should be under $4500
Tuning, MAF, Injectors included
Keeps the CAT

Downsides per my limited knowledge
Tuning with SCT... (I run a predator)
Tune for Cali (I live more than a mile in the sky)

I think that if i were to go with this, I'd have to get a tuner kit no injectors, maf or xcal and have it custom tuned up here by a diablo dealer

What do you guys think?
If your ECU is working properly, the altitude should be accounted for as the computer accounts for barometric pressure. As for intake pipe sizing, 2.0" mandrel bent piping is more than large enough for most customer's power goals and has the added benefit of less lag. If you wish to make over 400whp, we can provide larger piping and a larger turbo.

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
amlos said:
Actually, unlike our remotely mounted zx3 kit, our svt kit places the GT28RS turbo in a conventional, manifold attached position. We use our own new custom stainless tubular equal length manifold which bolts directly to the turbo IN FRONT OF THE ENGINE. The downpipe is a 2.5" stainless mandrel bent piece which allows you to retain the stock SVT cat if you wish. Also, FYI, this kit also works on the regular zetec engine with a couple of minor modifications.
Detailed pics of the components/ with specs ??....

·
FF Affiliate
30,987 Posts
Till i see 220HP at the wheels with 7psi im a little doubtfull ,Not saying it didnt just have reservations

I would like to install one of these kits and see how they do with a good tune

amlos you need to become a sponsor here

Tom

·
Registered
274 Posts
Tom, I beleive they have a dyno posted on their website. They do make 220whp at 7psi, but the torque is way down there.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Dussin said:
Tom, I beleive they have a dyno posted on their website. They do make 220whp at 7psi, but the torque is way down there.
So is that from mechanical limitations or Tuning ??

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
yea the 7psi system is their test system, they are working now on a 12psi system that should put out a lot more ponies. many production turbo'd cars have their turbo in the back of the engine bay, like the SRT-4 and gti, i dont remember where the WRX and STi have theirs mounted

·
Registered
21 Posts
1turbofocus said:
Till i see 220HP at the wheels with 7psi im a little doubtfull ,Not saying it didnt just have reservations

I would like to install one of these kits and see how they do with a good tune

amlos you need to become a sponsor here

Tom
This was with a very basic tune made after only a few pulls. We will be continuing tuning this week and expect better results. We will be adding more boost as well...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts