Focus Fanatics Forum banner

101 - 120 of 153 Posts

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Borla system is installed and sounds great. With just the exhaust the tune changed completely. Working through that with Tom.

I have been doing a lot of traveling over the last two months and Tom has been very accommodating. I just did ~270 mile trip and the gas mileage calculated to be 31.4 mpg.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Added my final poly engine mount over the weekend. Feels so good to have poly mounts again.

So it seems my IACV is going kaput or is at least gummed up. I noticed on Monday that the revs were hanging and the car was just not acting right. Disconnected and reconnected the battery yesterday and when I started the car the revs jumped to 3k and stayed there. Unplugged the IACV and the revs dropped immediately to 750-800 where they should be. Plugged the IACV back in the revs immediately jump and stay high.

RockAuto shows the SVT IACV part number as CX1886 and the gasket CG756. The SVT IACV is different from the ZX3. ~$80 for the IACV and gasket; ordered.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
So the IACV was not my problem. Crazy idle and stuff still persisting. I have been working with Tom; he has sent a few updated tunes but nothing had been fixing the problem. We originally thought maybe it was vacuum leak but I have been all over the intake manifold and have not found a single leak.

During one drive the CEL came on with a TPS sensor out of range and TPS not matching the MAF codes. My traction control light randomly comes on too and will not turn off.

I ordered a new TPS and tried to install it yesterday. When I removed the old TPS it was covered with condensation on the inside!!!! I went to install the new TPS and one of the torx screws snapped the head off so I have to pull the throttle body.

I also found an old thread from 2008 where someone had the EXACT same problem and the TPS was full of water. Thread can be found here.

My last long road trip was completely in drenching rain so water in the TPS makes sense. Once I get the screw out and the new TPS in we'll see how the car runs.

·
Registered
282 Posts
But where's the water coming from? Is it just condensation or is it coming in through the intake and then getting thrown around the sides of the tps? I've had weird issues like this for a while now too haha wonder if it's the same lol. I get flashy lights my volts jump all over the place radio cuts out sometimes lol good stuff really.

But boost is worth these issues might I add :).

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
But where's the water coming from? Is it just condensation or is it coming in through the intake and then getting thrown around the sides of the tps? I've had weird issues like this for a while now too haha wonder if it's the same lol. I get flashy lights my volts jump all over the place radio cuts out sometimes lol good stuff really.

But boost is worth these issues might I add :).
Most of the threads on here were reported when people were using cold air intakes. I'm imagining the water is somehow getting to the TPS from inside of the throttle body where the rod that holds the throttle plate goes through the housing and out to the TPS. There is a gasket on the TPS that should protect it from outside water.

Tom had chimed in on most of the threads I looked at so I'm sure he can provide more information on what he has experienced over the years.

And yes, once you have boost in a Focus its hard to not have it. [thumb]

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
As Tom predicted the TPS did not fix the problem. I did get the new TPS installed and the screws replaced. So IACV and TPS are brand new; piece of mind at least.

There has to be a vacuum leak somewhere. With the IACV unplugged I sprayed starting fluid all over the intake manifold and vacuum lines. The idle never changed. Yesterday while the car was running (with the IACV unplugged) I put my head under the dash and I could hear a slight hissing. The brakes are strong and pushing the brake pedal does not change the idle.

Could the Brake Booster check valve be bad?

It also could be my vacuum line for the boost gauge going through the firewall.

I have to investigate more this weekend.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Just wanted to update this since it has been awhile.

It is starting to get warm so I will have a chance to really try to find this vacuum leak. With the IACV unplugged I can drive the car; the idle is around 1050-1100 RPM and idle vacuum is steady at -20. I try to drive it once a week to keep the battery charged.

Things I have planned:
  • Replace BOV valve. I don't like the one I have and maybe the diaphragm is torn causing vacuum leak
  • Disassemble the intake manifold and replace all gaskets. Inspect ALL vacuum lines again. Replace the intake couplers if needed.
I'm hoping at least one of those items will solve my problem. I really want to continue fine tuning the car with Tom. I will update more when I start disassembling the intake manifold.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
So I think I finally made some progress.

I took the throttle body off and attempted to split the intake manifold to inspect the intake couplers thoroughly. Once I loosened all the clamps I realized that the upper part of the intake manifold would not move; peering down through the runners I could see a spot where a bolt was holding it that could only be reached from below. So I just ran my finger around the couplers feeling for splits or anything odd; I did not find anything.

I put the clamps back on, snugged them up tight and reassembled everything. I replaced the throttle body gasket; it felt a little hard but still pliable. I started the car without the IACV plugged in and let it warm up a little bit. I plugged the IACV in; the RPM jumped a bit but settled back down. Vacuum was reading -18ish like it should be. Took it for a drive....and things seemed pretty normal. There is a bit of RPM hanging but it does drop; I think Tom can adjust it again in the tune.

I am stoked. I still have a new BOV being delivered tomorrow that I want to install. I think I'm back in business but time will tell.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Drove the car to work yesterday. I think we can say this is fixed. The revs hang in the stock fashion, as any SVT owner can attest to. Next I will be installing this:

Then I will get a full datalog over to Tom to continue tweaking the tune.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
The Forge BOV actually helped the hanging revs a bit. I've been driving the car all this week and its running great.

The weather has been all over the place lately so conditions have not been right to do a full WOT datalog run. Might be able to get one done tonight has its going to be clear.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Finally have a new datalog sent over to Tom. Looking forward to an updated tune.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Since the rain cleared up in the mid-Atlantic area (4 weeks with rain everyday in April) I have been daily driving the car. Its been running well. Finally got another datalog over to Tom. He is still making small adjustments but the A/F seems to dialed in pretty well.

I installed my Turbosmart Boost Tee yesterday. I am seeing 6 psi at the intake so I am going to adjust for ~10 psi and datalog 2k-5.5k RPM.

Hoping to get on the dyno sometime this summer.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #116 (Edited)
It has been so hot here in the mid-Atlantic the past month or so that I have not done anything with the car. The manual boost controller is installed but not turned up.

The car is running perfectly though. Hopefully going into fall I'll make it out to start datalogging 10 psi.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Time flies...Haven't done a single datalog since last June. Since it's winter the car doesn't see pavement much because of the amount of salt that is put down on the roads and I have my truck to drive. Once things clear up I hope to continue tuning at 10 psi.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
I've been trying to adjust my Turbosmart boost tee but it does not seem to be responding at all. I used it on my Merkur and it worked. May purchase a different boost controller and put the Turbosmart back on the Merkur.

I've had an issue with my intake manifold clamps back when I had a really high idle problem. While I don't have the high idle problem anymore I do have a surging idle problem. I pulled the fuel rail last night and all my clamps were loose. Snugged everything up but two of the clamps won't tighten up. It also looks like one of the boots has a small crack starting. I ordered the CFM kit this morning. Considering the OEM boost and clamps are 13 years old it's probably time for replacement.

With the clamps borked the car runs and drives okay but I cannot get into boost. It's parked until I get the CFM kit installed.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Thanks for CFM for super fast 2 day shipping.

I installed the coupler kit this morning. It fit perfectly and all the clamps are now tight! The car is back to running smooth again.

It has been exactly one year since I sent Tom a datalog for my car. I ran a datalog tonight and sent it over to Tom. We have been fighting the sensitivity of the cylinder 2 knock since we started tuning this car. It ALWAYS picks up knock the same way at the same levels during every WOT pull. This results in the timing surging between 3-12 degrees over 4k RPM. It really kills the performance of the car. I feel like its just some harmonics being picked up because all signs point to the engine and supporting parts being healthy. I'm hoping Tom can make some adjustments again so the car will pull smoothly all the way to 7k RPM.

101 - 120 of 153 Posts