Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've made the plunge to go turbo on my 03 Screaming Yellow SVT. The cars got 73k on the clock, and I bought it with 18k. Anyway it's been stock except for eibach sport kit and a cold air....up until now. So here are the plans:

So far I've installed the intercooler and fabbed the manifold. I'll post some pics later today of whats done so far.

Custom log manifold, 304L SS built by me.
SCT X3 with Pro Racer Package
2 gauge piller pod, boost and 02 (I know it's just a light show)
Ebay special items-
Turbo - T3/T4 T04E
Intercooler- 28x7x2.5 w/ Greddy Type-R blowoff part of the deal
38mm Wastegate- Tial look-a-like with 8psi spring
T3 flanges in stainless
Brand new precision 42# injectors of ebay, I know should've gone with 60's but these kept me in my budget.

My idea is to be able to keep the car on the road while making the transformation, hence mounting the intercooler already. I've started mounting the gauge pod with the gauges but ran out of light yesterday after work. This weekend I want to mock up the manifold to the head and make sure my design will work. Also while I'm there, I'll fit up the down pipe and the cold piping. I plan on using part of my cold air piping as my charge piping from the intercooler outlet although I think it may be a bit too big causing a big drop in pressure but I have to try. Thats pretty much it for now, I'll get some pics up and keep everyone posted if there's interest.

I'm open to suggestions as well.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
397 Posts
how much is your "budget"

·
Registered
975 Posts
lol. and friend of mine is running an ebay 16g on his ecplise and its been running fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I have a tight budget of 1400. Currently I'm over by 30 bucks but I think I'm complete as far as purchasing, that's down to the t-bolt clamps! That said I'm attaching a few pics. The manifold is made from scratch excluding the turbo flange, also a ebay item! The last two pictures show the intercooler as it sits in the car, my camera died otherwise I would've shown the install of the intercooler. I'll try to post the whole tranformation as I go. I can post some pics of the turbo and such if interested.

Enjoy.....

Attachments

·
Registered
975 Posts
i have a complete kit and sofar i spent $1000 including gauges and fittings and everything. all i have to do is put it on and get it tuned.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1000. is pretty good but keep in mind that 1480. includes the purchase of the SCT X3 and the PRP. That alone was around 750. So I don't think I did all that bad cost wise.

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
wow that is cheap any links to the seller you bought the turbo from

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
you better buy a real turbo there are alot of honda guys with ebay turboes that went out the 4th day they put it on why dont you jus use the money to buy a real turbo

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I agree, also i would go for a T3 super 60 series instead of the t3/t4

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I agree that those turbos on ebay are cheap for a reason, but without first hand experience I can not make a statement like that Roushturboedzx3. This build isn't my first, I've built 8-9 turbo creations, none with a ebay china made turbos though. One of my builds was a starquest (89 Mitsu. Starion or Conquest) which made well over 400hp using a 20G stage 2 turbo. That turbo at the time cost me almost a 1000. So believe me I know what you mean and I've seen the good and the bad.

I'm not expecting much from this other than a little bump in performance to bring my SVT to 225-250hp as a daily driver on 8-10psi of boost. I'm not looking to break SVT HP records or anything like that but like most of us in these forums, we would like a little more for less... otherwise our project cars would be more in the relm of a WRC RS or some sort of exotic supercar! Please don't jump down my back because of that statement, I admire all types of cars and they don't have to cost 200grand.

One of my last builds was my brothers 91 stang twin turbo...with ebay turbos. Although they are real deal garrett's they perform amazing. His car mildly tuned by me using a AEM plug and play ECU on 8.5 pounds of boost has put down 430+HP and something like 455Tq.

So we'll see. Hey badass3 I just searched and searched between all the deals to find the best one's.

BTW I planned on making a sister kit for anyone interested minus the SCT stuff that I might sell. Also anyone in the LI NY area is welcome to get together with me to see the build.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not really sure yet, but I'll keep you posted as I go.

-John

·
coooookie monster
7,570 Posts
see this is where i dont see why everyone expects to pay out the butt for a home made turbo kit. i also added the figures up and barely went over 1500$

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wordyahurdd, you pay for fabrication time. My manifold alone has 8-10 hrs of labor from start to finish. And it's the simplest in design being a log. But at the same token, I don't believe in paying 5-6k for a kit to be ok, I don't care how much power it made on the last car it went on, That's just me though.

-John

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wordyahurdd, you pay for fabrication time. My manifold alone has 8-10 hrs of labor from start to finish. And it's the simplest in design being a log. But at the same token, I don't believe in paying 5-6k for a kit to be ok, I don't care how much power it made on the last car it went on, That's just me though.

-John

·
Registered
235 Posts
I am also doing the custom turbo thing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2344436#post2344436) and with a T3 Super 60, Focus Power manifold/downpipe with AEM wideband, Autometer boost/egt gauges, intercooler and piping, -10AN drain hose and braided feed line, Greddy BOV and Evo wastegate, I'm well over 2700 let alone talking tuning and J&S. So to each saying that it can be done on 1400, it may well be, but nothing proven and well built.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't want to make this a pissing match but what do you mean by well built. Are you saying there might be something wrong with what I've built so far? the header?[dunno] Also are you doing all the work?

High cost doesn't mean well built in my book.[dunno]

·
Registered
235 Posts
No, I'm not questioning the craftsmanship of your welds, or your manifold. I really question the durability, or the overall quality of knock off wastegates, bovs, and turbos. The intercooler should be fine, although some will debate, but i've seen other makes and models of cars use ebay brands such as CXRacing and Mishimoto intercoolers effectively.

I guess my biggest concern is the fact that the SVT is, and always will be a difficult car to safely strap boost to. Its going to be hard to tune your setup without a wideband O2 controller, as thats not something that the SCT PRP can accomplish. Furthermore, an aftermarket knock indication gauge is required, as knock on a relatively high compressioned motor such as ours can be difficult is not impossible to manage. And thats without saying that the stock SVT knock sensor will add timing when it sees knock, which isn't beneficial, nor safe at all. Just in a wideband ($240 on the low end) and a J&S ($700 with gauge from CFM), and roughly 4 hours of dyno time for the tune ($600 at McNews, I'd imagine thats a good baseline number) your well over $1500 in electronics, to safely ingest mass quantities of compressed air into that huffing puffing SVT motor.

To even add at that number, you will want to look into a blowthrough setup for a more driveabilty factor, which, even at your power level is a safe bet of a 3" MAF tube ($100) and a MAFia to keep MAF voltage down ($175). With all that being said, even at 250-260ish horsepower, the stock SVT clutch, as we all know isn't exactly a reliable setup, even in stock form, and at 260ish HP, you are going to start to deteriorate clutch life, of which even the cheapest of the after market SVT clutches rain in at $750, due to changing the flywheel to adapt to an aftermarket clutch.

With all this said, I know from experience that turbocharging an SVT focus is no easy, or cheap by any means task. And you should really look into your safety, tune, and reliability factors first, before your undergo this project. I'm sure most members on here can attest to the fact that engine builds are not cheap, and its safe to keep a setup such as this street able, and reliable at the same time. I hope my post cleared up my opinion.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts