Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps I am retarded for asking this..but could I swap out the 5 speed ZX3 transmission for the 6 speed SVT Getrag transmission....just swap for swap..or would this require I change the WHOLE motor out?

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Yes, you can, but you will have to change more than just the trans, the axles, whole clutch/flywheel setup and a few choice other items will have to be changed as well.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you know if there is a "how to" on the forum somewhere? Also...what would this do for my car? Would it extend my gear ratios?

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
This is also assuming that the Getrag has a separatable bell housing. The Zetec engine has a different bolt pattern, and if you can't separate the bellhousing from the Getrag transmission, you won't be able to bolt it up. If it is separatable, you would need a custom bellhousing made to allow it to bolt up.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I believe he means duratech....funny thing is in europe...the SVT engine is known as a duratech.....so technically it does fit with one :)

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
The svt is a ZETEC engine and has the same bolt pattern. Sorry, i just noticed that he has a Duratec, no, it wont fit a duratec that im aware of. I appologize for that, i didnt notice that he had the Duratec

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
focusedintentions said:
I believe he means duratech....funny thing is in europe...the SVT engine is known as a duratech.....so technically it does fit with one :)
except it came from the factory that way [;)]

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Shadowrunner said:
Duratec.

Wicked PLEASE dont call it that, the honda boys are still confused over Zetec.

The duratec uses the same tranny as the Zetec so if it is possible for them it COULD be possible for us as well.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks ZX3 chick that is quite informative. I guess there is a reason you guys are moderators. And have so many posts. You must have more knowledge than God when it comes to the Focus. Do you get a lot of free shit? I wanna be a moderator!

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
^^

Free shit?

Where? I want some, Ash are you holding out on me?

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
ok, i was thinking about doing this the other night and decided to look here to see if it is possible...so the SVT motor is basically just a hot Zetec and the 6-speed bolts to that, and my Duratec uses the stock Zetec tranny, so how come the 6-speed won't bolt up? I want this done to my car!

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^
You're confusing the gearbox with the whole package. The '05+ transmissions use the MTX-75 box, however there are differences with the bellhousing that the gearbox is bolted to, which then attaches to the engine. More accurately, however, the changes are in the bolt pattern on the engine, which means the bellhousing is different. That said, if you could get the Getrag 6-speed to bolt up to your Duratec bellhousing it would physically work, however its questionable if the ECU would work with the 6th gear or not. We know it does with a Zetec ECU because V6focus has done the swap, you'd be the first one to attempt it with a Duratec Focus.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
siiiiiiiiick....the first time i'de ever be the first person to ever attempt anything *teeear*

1 - 20 of 30 Posts