Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am trying to find out what would be involved in procuring a svt tranny for my zx3. i am told it will bolt up but i dont know if i will have to mod anything for it to work, any insight will be helpful.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
you'll need the trans, svt flywheel and clutch (or aftermarket svt fly/clutch), svt halfshafts, and svt slave cylinder at the bare minimum. probably more involved than that, but ask v6focus. I think he swapped one into his wife's powerworks zx3 and can tell you exactly what parts you'll need to make it work

·
Registered
384 Posts
And from what i understand most people swap form the 6spd to the 5spd if thre making serious power. Cant remember if it was gear ratios or strength issues though.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
You might need the SVT ECU as well. I think the MTX75 can take more power than the Getrag and the gear ratios in the Getrag, especially 1st, are not a favorite among serious racers.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
The non-SVT Focus ECU works with the Getrag 6 speed...v6focus on here swapped the transmissions without swapping the computers. If you're serious about this, you should drop him a PM/e-mail...he's the resident expert on swapping equipment between the various Focus models.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
I was never aware that the ECU I have worked with the SVT tranny. Shit, now the gears are grinding up there in my brain. Evil thoughts pushing me to do a tranny swap.....ahhhh!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Yes, you will need to do somthing with the ECU becasue it has two lay shafts instead of one like the mtx. That means that the computer will think it only has one and so when you switch to 3rd and fourth gear the computer will want to slow the car down. and like allenzx3 said, most people do swap from the getrag to the mtx 75. You pretty much need to ditch the tranny if anything goes wrong with it. No ford dealership will work on them for some reason. You might need to contact a bmw/ mini dealership because I think the Mini has the same getrag in it. What are your goals for the car? You may want to stick with the mtx-75. It does make life much easier

1 - 8 of 8 Posts