Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am preparing to change the fluid in my SVT tranny, have read several informative posts regarding how to do this, but have one remaining question.

Can I successfully drain the fluid with the front tires up on ramps (to allow me to get under the car). And, can I re-fill the tranny with the front end still raised? Or does it allow too much fluid into the transmission?

I'm thinking I can drain it with the car on ramps, but I need to roll it off to fill the tranny...assuming I can locate the fill plug from above the engine, rather than below.

I'll be using Mobil-1 synth. fluid for the change.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got it figured out with no problem. basically drained the fluid with the car up on ramps (removed both plugs first). Then ROLLED the car off the ramps onto my level garage floor to re-fill the transmission case. Moved my drain pain under the fill hole, used a long funnel with some clear flexible tubing attatched. Wedged the funel between teh battery box and the cover for the ignition, wound the tubing down to where the fill plug is, and stuck it into the fill hole. Then proceded to pour two complete quarts of tranny fluid into it. Then about 1/6 of a third quart...knowing this would be slightly too much fluid. Then I removed the tubing and the excess ran back out and into my drain pan. When it stopped dribbling out, I re-inserted the fill plug and that was finished. Took 30 minutes, with the majority being spent letting the old fluid drain.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
cool ,I use mobil 20-50 synthetic

·
Registered
426 Posts
im switching to RP SyncroMax sometime in the next few days

·
Registered
122 Posts
where are the drain plugs and fill plugs i want to change mine to but cant find them or i just dont know what i am looking for.

seth

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seth,

Both plugs are 8 mm hex head screws that are black in color (everything else on the tranny is grey). To find the fill plug, get under the front of the car (under the air dam and look back directly at the transmission case. The fill plug is about four inches up from the bottom facing forward. The drain plug is on the left hand side of the case (again as you look from the front of the car) and is located just to the right of the rear engine mount. It is recessed a bit between two reinforcement braces on the tranny housing. Easy to get at, but a bit obstructed to see.

It took me awhile to find the plugs myself until I realized what I was looking for and where they were located. Then it was a piece of cake. You can access both with the car on the ground, but you'll want to raise the front to drain the fluid.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
So, basically you just fill till it the fluid comes out? bout 2.1 quarts. Thanks for the pics WD.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, the prescribed flluid level is slightly below the bottom threads of the fill hole. But since its virtually impossible to see where its at, you can fill until the oil seeps out, then let it continue to drip out until it stops. That slightly extra amount of fluid won't constitute an 'overfilled' transmission case.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
i'd just like to know where you found ramps you can pull the SVTF onto from the front =/ we have to jack the front end up then cram the ramps underneath lol

·
Bexar County
3,360 Posts
You can buy rhino ramps from walmart for $35. They raise the car about a foot off the ground

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rhino ramps are the only ramps I've found that work. And they are wide enuogh to take the 215 tires.

·
Registered
426 Posts
i switched to the royal purple syncromax today and im loving it. the shifts are alot smoother, and less vibration comes through the shifter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts