Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 svt that currently is still wearing the stock shoes (50% worn down contis). In the winter traction seemed to be all or nothing (sucky tires for snow) but ive noticed that in the rain I cant get this thing to slide out. I am guessing this is a good thing, but sure isnt making for much fun! Today it rained hard for about an hour so I went to the local cemetary (fresh ashpalt with lots of sharp corners with standing water in them) and the only time I could get the rear to break loose was on the turn that was almost a 90* (and even after it broke loose it didnt totally slide out like I figured it would)

Since there are discs in the back, im sure locking them up isnt the problem (or is this ebrake not locking up the rears easily?) I was cranking on the ebrake pretty damn hard to get it to barely lock up one tire.

I have driven many cars (not many higher performance) and usually dont have a problem getting any of them to break free in the wet weather. heck, even my old ride (95 corolla) could do some nice controlled e-brake slides without much effort.

Another thing I want to know about...I cant seem to get the front tires to spin much in the rain. I am guessing this is all related (contis have good wet weather traction?) but on my dads zetec SE sedan it will spin them no problem. The svt just seems to break free for a bit, and then dog down (and I dont feel like dropping at a super high rpm and just totally unload the tires either)

Its the 4th of july and was just trying to have some fun (seeing as how the rain killed the whole fireworks ligthing bit).

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I've never had the ass break loose on me, it would be fun though...

As far as the front, do you have traction control? That might be what's killing you.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the SCT flash from wayne, so I had it turned off. Obviously the svt isnt a torque monster down low which seems to be part of the prob (cant just get them to spin unless you give it a lot of rpm)

I guess this is a good thing and a bad...good (well great) because suspension and traction is way up, but bad because I cant have my 5 minutes of fun in the rain :(

·
Registered
68 Posts
The SVT is pretty heavy up front so I don't think it's very easy to drift the back. I know it has a lot of front push dialed in from the factory. I have personally got the back to drift (come around) while going over a slightly uphill right turn that dropped (went back down) at the end of the turn. Never been able to do it anywhere else but that one turn.

·
Registered
975 Posts
yeah i love how it rides in the rain man ive never felt safe driving in the rain because of the way ppl drive up here in the rain but when im in the svt i feel very secure

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya most cars will just push because of no steering, and the svt is the total opposite (cant get it TO break loose!)

·
Registered
970 Posts
The only time I've had the rear end almost come out on me was when I was autox'n and a quick left, slow right, quick left and I was going a bit fast into it (ABS kicked in trying to slow down). As soon as the ABS kicked in, it flattened out. I don't have TC either. You might try increasing the air pressure in the rears and see what that does for you.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Solution: Take two plastic trays, like the ones you get at McDonalds. Find a way to drive each of the rear tires onto the trays without breaking them. Set e-brake as much as you can, and drive off. [:)~] [thumb]

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
i ALMOST lost it once, freeway exit ramp in hard rain and the turn goes downthill and gets kind of sharp . . . back end got a little squirrely and started to kick out but jumped right back in line as I started to correct it.

Other than that e brake slides on wet asphault have been a cake walk for me - i do them a lot in big parking lots for fun, just get going fast enough and yank the wheel at the same time you yank the brake.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I don't have an SVT - I have a sedan and the a$$ will kick out if I flick the steering wheel out a bit goin around a turn.... REALLY FUN !! -- and I don't evan have to pull the e-brake !! LOL !![:D]

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I've never had a problem gettin the back end to come around. This car handles more like a RWD than any other FWD i've ever driven. My bud Tj and i got our cars to simultaneous drifts coming along a back road one day....and i've been appointed king of the handbrake turns by the skyline crew :).

·
Registered
172 Posts
For a FWD car, the SVTF is more easy to get the rear end to come out than most. Take an S-curve fast enough, and you'll think you're driving a RWD car for a moment!

·
Registered
238 Posts
i agree with focusedintentions and RS3RS. getting my car to dance and shake it's butt around the corners isnt too hard for me, though i've never tried in rain yet...

·
Registered
814 Posts
the only time i was able to almost lose the back is in an auto-x, pretty fun but pretty easy to recover.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts