Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the stock SVT Audiophile setup and all that, and currently want to go to something with a GPS, bluetooth and all that fun stuff(itll probably be a chinese one, but Im open to suggestions)

I know I need a kit or something to make it stay in the dash, and I know I need a thing for the steering wheel control

this kit thing?
http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/metra95-5806.aspx

this for the controller?
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127SWIPS/PAC-SWI-PS.html?c=3&tp=476&avf=N

If those are wrong, please correct me, or if you know of cheaper ones.
(Im a kid in college and my last name is not rockefeller)
Ill spend at most 400 for the head unit
and I would like GPS, DVD, Aux, mp3 CDs, and bluetooth

THANKS GUYS

Im adding this for reference for later when I get the metra kit, and my new head unit
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231948

·
Registered
58 Posts
You have to take the bezel out and cut some of it to get it to sit right

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anything comparable in single din? or maybe euro din?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
If you buy the headunit from crutchfield they send you all the mounting hardware and adapters free of charge, along with instructions on what to do.

With most double din headunits they come with DVD, Aux or usb, cd and some come stock with bluetooth.

The gps and bluetooth adapters are usually extra. So when looking for a head unit try to find one with those things already equipped.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I was just looking over crutchfied, I like that they include the additional piece, but Im not willing to foot $529 for their cheapest unit, well that for a 2003 focus, maybe I should not look vehicle specific

and Im not too crazy about the ones that will fill up half the space given.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
those are the right items for what you are looking for, but i can say from experience that that adapter is a tight fit, if you go for a 7" touchscreen that flips out to reveal the disk/sd/gps sd/etc like i did, that adapter is going to prevent it from opening. i had to customize my bezel to get it right.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
would anyone suggest the full screened chinese ones?

I cant do crutchfield, theyre $500 for their cheapest. Definitely not in the budget

·
Registered
487 Posts
NEVER could i ever sugest you get that.... you would be better off looking on your local craigslist for something Decnet and used

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
good suggestion on craigslist,
I found a couple things, but these guys are crazy and want more for their used head units than on ebay for brand new ones

·
Registered
487 Posts
good suggestion on craigslist,
I found a couple things, but these guys are crazy and want more for their used head units than on ebay for brand new ones
You gotta search and search often times the people asking crazy prices for their stuff , they probably stole it and can be talked down alot...

one little piece of advice if you want to test a used to headunit to make sure its working properly... take the the red and yellow wire on the wiring harness of the headunit and touch it to a 12v source... like a car battery and take the black ground wire and put it on the negative ... it should light up and turn on.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Ok, Ill bookmark the page with the cutting of the bezel.

screw bookmarking it, I added it to my first post

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
I have the AVH-p4200dvd (older version of the p4300), good headunit, but doesnt come with bluetooth,gps,sattelite radio, hd radio, etc. its pretty barebones for the price. You are always welcome to come check mine out, i dont live far from you.

Just dont waste your money on ebay crap. Ive found myself that nickel and diming yourself over trying to save a few bucks will bite you in the ass eventually. Every cheap modification ive done to my car has ended up costing more money than if i had just bought the quality part in the first place.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
there is a reason that Craigslist doesn't have anything under 500 bucks for what you are looking for. even 500 is kinda cheap but anything that is under that is going to be seriously sketchy as far as quality goes and reliability. Oh and I would almost guarantee it will not have the proper port for your steering wheel control module.

Take a look at the axxess AWSC. it will work with almost all of the well known brands and usually will auto program and there is nothing that needs to point at the radio

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ended up buying an avh-p3300bt and it had all the gizmos and gadgets. It was 240 open box at box at best buy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts