Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I"m going to be swapping a Mistubishi evo 7 into a 02 svt focus. Most of it will be fabricated(crossmember ect.......).just taking some opinions from fellow board members to see what people think. Im doing this bc i set a motor in and it actually fits better than the ej20 out of a subaru. I love the look of the focus,and since everyone talks about a awd focus,ill give it a shot. I got everything from engine to tranny to axles rear end ecm ect. for under 3k,so I couldn't pass up the chance to see if it can be done. I hope to have it done by summer.

·
FF God of South FL
2,417 Posts
May god the force and what ever else u pray to be with you it sounds like a crazy undertaking and sounds like it going to be expensive

But i think u will offically be ther first person on here with an AWD focus

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
May god the force and what ever else u pray to be with you it sounds like a crazy undertaking and sounds like it going to be expensive

But i think u will offically be ther first person on here with an AWD focus
Thanx for not flaming,and i tend to document all the swapping and hopefully can pass on the info to anyone else that might want to do it.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
omg thats gonna be bad ass! what are you gonna do for gauges tho? i dont see the focus gauges working out to well with the evo wiring harnes and all of that. u should make a sheat metel dash and use the evo gauges.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
u may also need to do something along the lines of custom half shafts since depending on what the evo's wheel base is side to side. it might be wider then the focus. idk. will be bad ass project tho. also what are you going to do for suspension on the front? evo suspension or focus? i'm guessing the rear will be evo suspension. sorry for the bombardment of questions i just think thats bad ass!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Pics or it didn't happen.
Seriously, lots of pics please! I love the European projects where they photodocument every step of the build.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
i dont think its happend yet. he said he is planning to have it done by summer. but yes pics would be awsome!

·
Registered
524 Posts
man this is gonna be so hott
ur pockets must be atleast a half mile deep

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Dude..... for real.......

YOU ARE F$%&($ AMAZING!!!!

I've been hearing this crazy idea floating around the forum for almost a year now, and I've just been sitting here wondering when someone was going to have the balls to give it a shot. YOU SIR ARE A MANIAC!!!

I hope you've got some bank...... this is going to be one expensive project.....

Good Luck, and Happy Tuning,
Daniel.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
what ever happened to the RS Conversion? wasnt that like 50-70% completed? I havent heard anything on that in months, Maybe this will be some encouragement

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the interest. For the electronic,everything will be out of the evo.I'll be taking the dash and custom fitting all the electronics ect to the focus. I don't plan on having ac but a heater is a must which i have from a evo. For the drivetrain,i will use the half shafts ect from the evo,and custom fitting them to the knuckles,in which way,im not sure,but i'll figure something out when i get to that point. Thanks again for the interest.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
nice, i have seen a few pics of a coupld different ones. i saw one that looked like a tonka truck it was swapped from a ford excape and sat way high up in the air.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
HFC (new word, Holy Freakin Crap [hihi]) wow dude......... the only one of it's kinda for sure, and it'll be a hell of a car. we've been waiting for this [thumb]

watching in hopes that this will stay as the build thread [:D]

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
it wont pass emissions thats for sure. wont be street legal at all. however it wont be as diffacult as you guys think. if he has everything from the evo the only fab work he will have to really stress over will be making motor mounts, widening the exhaust tunnel for the driveshaft, and the suspension. if he has all the stuff he needs he could get this whole swap done over the course of a week. well i could anyway. i just dont have pockets that deep lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it wont pass emissions thats for sure. wont be street legal at all. however it wont be as diffacult as you guys think. if he has everything from the evo the only fab work he will have to really stress over will be making motor mounts, widening the exhaust tunnel for the driveshaft, and the suspension. if he has all the stuff he needs he could get this whole swap done over the course of a week. well i could anyway. i just dont have pockets that deep lol
Emissions-We don't have in Michigan.
Street legal-it will be registered as a focus.All parts including the evo parts are insured.
Time line-If you could do this in a week,i'll be glad to pay for your plane ticket and you can come do it.
Ohh for the exhaust tunnel-I cut one out of my suby and welded it in.

·
Registered
329 Posts
This is great to hear someone is giving this a shot! Keep us updated and im sure this will be the best thread ever! Focusmaniaczx3 your nuts there is no way someone could have this done in a week. Period!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Definitely post pics whenever you get started. Sorry, but I'm not so up to date on AWD vehicles. Does the 7 have a center differential? Big props to you for going for an awesome swap! [clap]

·
Registered
881 Posts
Are you familiar with Libra Racing's Hyundai Tiburon rally car? They custom fabbed an Evo drivetrain onto a different car (FWD platform at that), so maybe they could throw you a tip or two on what they ran into?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are you familiar with Libra Racing's Hyundai Tiburon rally car? They custom fabbed an Evo drivetrain onto a different car (FWD platform at that), so maybe they could throw you a tip or two on what they ran into?
I am familiar with the libra's tiburon,back in early 2000 they attended both the snowdrift and LSPR rally in my state. I kinda got the idea to do this from them,and the navy had a awd focus they used at the snowdrift rally a fews later that got me thinking abut converting my brothers 02 zx3 to awd,but at the time I was involved with subaru's.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts