Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering is there any difference between a regular focus and an SVT focus timing belt change? Also what tools would i need in order to change it?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Theres no difference between the regular Zetec and SVT belt

·
Registered
397 Posts
There might not be a difference in the timing belt itself, not 100% on that. But you want to be extra careful you don't mess up. If you do, you'll bend valves.

You'll need the zetec timing set which is the bar that slides in the end of the camshafts, and the peg which screws in the block to align the crank at TDC.

Some people say not to loosen the intake pulley as some people have had problems with check engine lights after timing the engine. I haven't had any problems yet on my SVT and I loosened the pulley.

There are some more things than the regular zetec, but the procedure is almost the same.

·
Registered
194 Posts
What mileage should the timing belt be changed at? Don't know if mines been done and it has 71k on it now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ford recommends every 120k, but every 100k is when i do it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Im thinking about buying svt car drove fine. perfect. but the engine light was on. dealer said they replaced the best, and belt pully. then mechanic told me he let enigne run with out the belt on to see how engine would run? is that good or possible? then dealer told me the engine code was oxygen sensor. and they cleared it. car has new timing belt and pully 2 differnt parts to the pully. how can you tell if valves are bent? will compression test show that the engine is good? and if i drive the car long enough will the engine light come back on. if they didnt install it right? they said they replaced the belt with a slighlty looser belt. due to the fact they belt that was on there they said was to tight? all help would greatly be appreciated. is a slightly looser belt better than a tighter belt? the car has 69,000 miles on it.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
1.) if ur mechanic did that, he's a moron and should be shot! if you run the svt w/o a timing belt, you will drop 3k into buying a new engine. if you run the svt w/o a timing belt, simply put, ur motor is absolutely toast. it would not run and it would bend valves. compression will be very very low if not 0. belt should not be lose. if you are looking at buying ur car from this guy, i'd stay clear. anyone who runs a car w/o a timing belt is a moron to start, let alone an interference engine

·
Registered
397 Posts
Idk what a looser belt? whaa? Sounds like you got a mechanic with a case of the bullshits.

If it bent valves from the timing being off, it wouldn't run. Who knows what the check engine light could be unless you get a code. As far as letting it run without a belt, he prolly meant without the accessory belt, otherwise it would not start.

·
Registered
57 Posts
wow thanks guys.. he said the belt that was on there was 2 tight and had no play in it. and was the wrong belt? what is the correct belt that should be on 2003 svt? he gave me the old belt its in my old car now. and i havent even signed the paperwork yet lol. and would a compression test would show the bent vavles thanks for you help. and i guess he could have been bsing me. maybe he just ment the accessory belt. or maybe i should say i want a compresion test for the car before i buy at a for dealership or whats a good place in maryland?

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
Yeah, if he ran the car without a Timing Belt ... and it ran ... it would be your Serpentine Belt. But when you run without your Serpentine Belt, your temp gauge should begin to go up and you should have no power steering.

NOW, if it is your Timing Belt that they took off ... oh it will turn on ... but only for a brief moment before your car makes a large puff of black smoke and you will have bent valves and if unlucky ... cracked pistons.

Been there, done that ...

A compression test will help you determine the valves yes. But also let you know how your car is running under the head.

-Ray-

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
ford recommends every 120k, but every 100k is when i do it.

120k mi for the "normal" zetec. SVT is 60-80k mi. If it hasn't been changed then change it now.

I can't believe you guys let that slip through. MLB and Raymond I talking to you guys [read] [:)~].

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
your mech. Ran it without the serp Belt. Thats fine for a minute as long as it dident get hot
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Well.........the mech is full of shit. You can't even start the engine without the timing belt. If you want the Ford workshop manual directions for the SVT timing belt how -to, send me your email addy. I can't post it on here for some reason. If you follow these instructions and buy the timing tools, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
thats why I said serp belt. It all makes sense for that belt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
AFAIK, the SVT is recommended at 100k as well. its the same belt, why would it be any different from a zetec? granted, i did mine at 50k! lol, but i don't think its recommended till 100. not saying you are wrong, just, this is as far as i know. i've never heard of the 60-80k.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts