Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't get the SVT Timing belt How To link to work (sends me somewhere else).

Replacing timing belt,and not sure about the VCT adjustment.

Anybody got a link or steps to adjust the cam pullys?

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've done this and I really couldn't tell you exactly how its done. Nobody(except qweesy) wants to do it the way the ford manual says and nobody agrees on a specific way to do it. There are no SVTF videos FYI. Best to watch a zetec timing to understand how you would time it if it were easy. Then watch the zx2 because they have videos on their VCT gear which is close enough.

Basically TDC #1 (on the timing pin) then the cam bar goes in if everythings right, if it doesn't this is also why your doing the timing belt. Then pick 1 of several ways to deal with your VCT gear and reinstalling the belt.

Some just put the belt on and it work[dunno] (screw you guys who got lucky)

Others using a combination of wrenches rotate the came to push the oil out of the gear to keep it from interfering with the tightening of the new belt. This done 2 ways; the sloppy way which is just a guy putting a wrench on the torx bit plug and rotating the cam with a wrench hoping for the best. The other is getting that plug off and doing the same but this lets the gear puke oil all over[twothumbs].

the worst is the VCT gear bolt at the very least is loosed enough for the gear to be free if not taken off because your timing was jacked up.[read] Have fun with that.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Ive done 4 SVT's now per the Ford manual, I think the most critical things are

#1 only "crack" the VCT "Intake Cam" main bolt gear loose dont take it all the way out just enough to spin the gear freely

#2 MAKE SURE crank is RESTING against the timing pin when cyl#1 is @ TDC

#3 The timing tesioner window IS ONLY FOR INITIAL tension, after you rotate the engine the line will be out of the window, so dont freak out

#4 when you set tension and YOU TORQUE to spec and before you rotate the engine by hand , the line MUST be in the window after you Torque it, IF not release tensioner all the way back and redo tension until you get it right.

#5 Proper Torque Specs

#6 Or just drive to Bedias ;)

PM me and I can give you the Ford manual

·
Super Moderator
9,563 Posts
Do you have the way the Ford manual has it in a PDF file qweesy? If you can adapt it to this forum, I can save it to the How To section for you. Just PM me if you can do this.

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Ive done 4 SVT's now per the Ford manual, I think the most critical things are

#1 only "crack" the VCT "Intake Cam" main bolt gear loose dont take it all the way out just enough to spin the gear freely

#2 MAKE SURE crank is RESTING against the timing pin when cyl#1 is @ TDC

#3 The timing tesioner window IS ONLY FOR INITIAL tension, after you rotate the engine the line will be out of the window, so dont freak out

#4 when you set tension and YOU TORQUE to spec and before you rotate the engine by hand , the line MUST be in the window after you Torque it, IF not release tensioner all the way back and redo tension until you get it right.

#5 Proper Torque Specs

#6 Or just drive to Bedias ;)

PM me and I can give you the Ford manual
I have the section 303 as well, but never could get it on here correctly.

This is pretty much spot on though. Might want to add to not use the timing bar as a device to hold the cams in place when tightening.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Do you have the way the Ford manual has it in a PDF file qweesy? If you can adapt it to this forum, I can save it to the How To section for you. Just PM me if you can do this.
Yes I do, I cant upload as PDF pm me your email and ill send it to you

+1 Missourileo, on the cam bar comment, HOLD with a good wrench , hold and apply opposite pressure to the way you are tightening so you don't break the cam ears off

·
FF Affiliate
31,165 Posts
Then if you get the over or under advance contact me before you go through the trouble to redo it the Ford way and I can make your life a little easier

Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts