Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question - 02 SVT, 120k miles. Clutch still operates fine, no problems apart from a rattle from the throw-out bearing. No other clutch noises, just a rattle when running in neutral.

I've been told that depending on design, a failed TO bearing can mess up the input shaft on the transmission. Is this true on the SVT Getrag?

Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Quick question - 02 SVT, 120k miles. Clutch still operates fine, no problems apart from a rattle from the throw-out bearing. No other clutch noises, just a rattle when running in neutral.

I've been told that depending on design, a failed TO bearing can mess up the input shaft on the transmission. Is this true on the SVT Getrag?

Thanks for any info!
First off your rattle noise is your dual mass flywheel. Nearly all stock units do this. Mine does it. I can even get it to nearly go away just by blipping the clutch and letting the assembly rest in a different position.

Your T/O bearing rides with the input shaft through it's center...so...sure, if it's mangled bad enough it could damage the input shaft. It's much more likely to damage the pressure plate fingers though and if this is the case it should make a bunch of noise when you apply the clutch pedal to disengage.

I doubt there is anything at all wrong. Deal with the noise - it won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
497 Posts
i had an 04 svt and my flywheel never made this noise you describe
Ford updated the clutch assembly for the 04 MY so that may explain it..... Although, I have a replacement kit that's less than 1 year old which is certainly the revised part and it makes the noise.

Either way, it is common. You must have been lucky.

·
You like this.
1,693 Posts
I too never experienced this noise but it is SVT characteristic, you should be fine

·
Registered
332 Posts
This is common with the dual mass flywheels. One of the springs has weakened with age and is allowing some slop between the two halves.

04 CAME with the updated clutch kit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts