Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I swap these out, or would I have to buy an SVT header for it to totally fit correctly?

I want to go to 65mm TB

·
Registered
658 Posts
The header has nothing to do with the TB. You would have to get a SVT intake manifold for the SVT TB, and them I dont even think the SVT intake will fit onto a SPI head.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The header has nothing to do with the TB. You would have to get a SVT intake manifold for the SVT TB, and them I dont even think the SVT intake will fit onto a SPI head.

Oh I must have read something wrong then. So to get a 65mm TB I would need to buy one used specifically for my car or buy new then? More research is necessary tomorrow.

·
Registered
658 Posts
As far as I know, but I could be completely wrong.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Moved to SPI performance.

Free - look at the info. here:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322445

Includes a link to an alternative throttle body for the SPI.

That & the other stickie in here might help you out with options.

Thanks for the link. When I saw your post I just assumed it just moved to SPI performance.

How does the SVT intake manifold pair up with the SPI? Would it need modification to use the svt 65mm TB?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Svt manifold in no way bolts up to an SPI engine. Mustang TB is as good as it gets.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well dang! Appreciate the feedback.

Or I guess could buy a new one for used specifically for the SPI?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Doesn't exist that I've found bud. Sucks indeed.
For the cost of making the SPI decently quick, you might as well turbo it or do a ZETEC swap. Not trying to say anything negative but that's the route I've decided to go.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I could have sworn people have them. I can't do a swap. I get 35 mpg. No turbo for me. I like the SPI.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Gave you a little more than just a move...

Driving a slow car fast is the best attitude for the SPI, you can push it harder than a faster car without getting in trouble.

A bit of modification can add to the fun if you want, even 36 hp. VW's were Hot Rodded to get 45 hp for more fun (yes, more extreme was avail. then as well - not practical for most.

Check those stickies & search for ancient threads, post up want to buy threads in BST for old performance parts folks may still have around. You can def. have fun with what you already own.

There are still a few here with SPI experience, so eventually you may catch more hints from them.

Cheers

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah you did!

I looked at a couple of them. And yeah I visit some ancient threads today from 2004 about some headlights...

It's not that I want to push it. Just run more efficiently. As I got 35 mpg today.

Seems the SPI knowledge gap is gettin bigger and bigger.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Honestly I'm glad the SPI has it's followers. Having built about 4 different oddball chassis cars and fabbing everything myself I respect that.
To give some insight I have the following on My SPI
Mustang TB
Custom coil on plug setup using Audi coils
Cat delete with 2.5" exhaust
Intake setup
My own short shifter
It's fun to drive I just won't sink anymore into the spi.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Honestly I'm glad the SPI has it's followers. Having built about 4 different oddball chassis cars and fabbing everything myself I respect that.
To give some insight I have the following on My SPI
Mustang TB
Custom coil on plug setup using Audi coils
Cat delete with 2.5" exhaust
Intake setup
My own short shifter
It's fun to drive I just won't sink anymore into the spi.

What do you think about the whole valve seat issue?

How hard was the mustang TB to do?

·
Registered
44 Posts
The valve seat issue is a real issue for sure. When it goes is when my swap happens haha.
The mustang TB wasn't too involving, a few hours at best. It does make a nice difference in throttle response.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Also I'd like to add how I protect myself proactively from the valve seat doom.
I'm running 5W40 chevron Delo which is very high in ZDDP.
Also I run mystery marvel oil in my gas as a top end lubricant.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
From everything that I have gathered there isn't anything you can do to stop it other than like a reman head or machine the heads.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah it'll happen. But I firmly beleive being proactive will extend the time it takes. High zinc oils are proven to work miracles on finicky engines and materials ;)

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Haven't heard of that. I use full synthetic oil every 3000-4000 miles. Mid grade gas.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts