Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone could suggest any suspension upgrades for the SVT. I love the way the car handles stock but i would like a more aggresive look and feel. Should I get lowering springs or would it be more worth a whole kit (cup/coilover)? And if any which brands are the best?

·
Registered
359 Posts
You should go take a look in the suspension forum. There's a sticky re: suspenison parts and do a search. There is some really good info in there...This happens to be a question that gets asked about quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Here's a tip you'll hear a lot there.

Go Autocross your car for a while stock... then you'll know exactly what you will want to change about the car.

After 2 years for me it adds up to...... tires. (Falken Azenis RT-615s)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
It would be really nice if the body roll wasn't as bad... I imagine in Autox it isn't as bad because it's narrow physique allows the Focus to make really fast quick turns but this thing sucks in sweepers. A would imagine that a wider stance would help this...

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Moved to ”Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension”

Go Autocross your car for a while stock... then you'll know exactly what you will want to change about the car.
^^^X2

It would be really nice if the body roll wasn't as bad...
I imagine in Autox it isn't as bad because it's narrow physique allows the Focus to make really fast quick turns but this thing sucks in sweepers.

Oh, it rolls plenty when AutoCrossing, though for a "stock" suspension, it's more than adequate.
The fOCUS already has a fairly wide track compared to the wheelbase.
Frankly, IMHO, sweepers is where this car shines.

Tires will help a great deal.
What are you currenty running Anaxagoras1986?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I am running Kumho Ecsta ASXs which aren't the best but they are not that bad either.

From my experiences the Focus seems to handle very well in quick turns but it's high center of gravity and narrow track seems to make it howl and slide around in high speed sweeping turns. Maybe it is just me but it feels almost like a minivan! lol

I do know, however, that when comparing the 944 to the Focus they both have their distinct advantages over each other and the high speed handling of the Focus certainly isn't a strong point. The Focus definitely has better turn-in response (bc of low-profile tires I assume) and snaps around very quickly in short turns but the high speed handling of the 944 blows my SVT away. The 944 sits much lower, it's wider, it's more aerodynamic, it's lighter and lower centered, it has a 50/50 weight distribution, and it's RWD. A lot of these differences can't be matched because of the platform but I would think that having a wider stance on the SVT would cure some of these differences by making the relatively high center of mass to track ratio not as extreme.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Problem is, when widening the track, you'll screw up the "scrub radius" on the front end.
In doing so, you'll lose the quick turn in found on lower speed/tighter turns.

For longer turns "sweepers", you want to settle the suspension gently, and not with a violent jerk of the steering wheel,
like you would do in a short turn.
Tire pressures are also a huge factor in determining how the car will respond.

See the discussion that focusedaddiction and I had in one of the videos linked in this thread:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95322
Actually, here's a direct link to the video:
(please "save as" instead of "open" when you get to the site)
Event 9-10_Helena-Top Gun_Day2-Run1:
Just before pulling back into the grid, I was talking about "settling" the car instead of jerking it.
He was having a problem setting a line in the big sweeper.
Most of the problem was caused by unsettling the car too much at entry.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I am very well aware of the scrub radius issues with just adding wheel spacers or soemthing like that. It would be nice if the whole package could be moved out a bit on each corner.

And when going into a sweeper I do go in gentle and allow the suspension to sit down and slowly begin to take the load of the turn.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I've always thought that the SVTF did just fine in the sweepers, as long as you have the PSIs right for a neutral balance.

When you say that they are howling their way through the turn, are you talking about the front tires, or all four?

I had a 944 for a while, and that certainly is a perfectly balanced car! I miss that thing...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
All four start singing at about the same time depending on the situation. The damn thing likes to slide the front and the read at the same time and is very easily to manipulate in the turns- just like the 944 if I am neutral. Under acceleration it goes wide and braking it tucks in.... just like any properly tuned car should [:)]. I just wish it could hold on longer before it started to slide.

What kind of 44 did you have?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I bet tires would help a lot but I am sure that the excessive body roll isn't helping them very much. There is too much weight shifting from one side to another imo.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I had a Guards Red 1987.5 944 (base) for close to 2 years. Unfortunately, I got robbed one night by a "friend" and had to sell my pride and joy to pay off some debts. I was this close to putting a beat-down contract on this kid with a few of the gang-banger cooks I worked with. I then figured out that going to jail wasn't as smart as just taking the loss and staying in college...

I would have a 1989 951 right now if financing on older vehicles didn't suck balls. I can't wait until I have enough money to start buying 10-20 year old cars!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Ahh the infamous Turbo S. I'd love to have one someday but I really don't have the cash right now.

So you had a Guards Red 87 944NA? That's what I have!!!!!! [:)] I have had her for just over 2 years now. She got hit by a group of stoners when I was on a service call a year and a half ago but aside from that I have been very lucky. They are unbelieveably reliable if you take care of them. Mine is basically stock except that it has '89 951 shocks, springs, and struts on it.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
To continue the vicious thread-jacking...

I am hoping to pick up a 968 for my next car. If I can, I will be able to buy an ultra-rare 1995 968 M030 (1 of 13), perfect with low miles and all kinds of autocross gear thrown in for about $20K. It has 2 B Stock National Championships to it's name so far...

That is, if I have the money ready when the guy gets done with this season!

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
^^Why in the world would you do that to the poor car? They are too rare and too balanced to do something that blatant to it.

Besides, you can do the same thing with a 1900lb 914...[:D]

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
LS1= More reliable, more HP, more Trq, less weight than the 951 engine (3.0L 968 engine isn't far off), smaller package, etc. The LS1 sits farther back and lower in the chassis so the weight balance is not effected.

And this would not be for a M030 968, just a basic Coupe or Cab.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts