Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I purchased my very own 2003 zx5 SVTF about 3 weeks ago and I'm loving the car :) i am have a problem with the sunroof though. it angles up vertically about halfway and stops and does not perform the horizontal sliding function at all. i looked in the manual and saw the reset procedure and after doing that it made it so that the roof will not close in the right spot anymore either (the opposite of what it said!). you just have to keep tapping the button little by little until it becomes flush with the roof now. i tried removing the glass but i didn't really know what i was looking for. i have a feeling i will have to take it in to a ford shop but i just wanted to check here first to see if anyone had similar problems and/or suggestions.

Thanks!
-Jesse

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the wiring seems like everything is in tact and original but i didn't do a connection on the wire pins though either because i don't have a test light tool that small

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
You could possibly have gear teeth missing in the motor itself. It would explain the slip stick nature of the problem.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Moved to "Ford Focus Technical Chat"

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could possibly have gear teeth missing in the motor itself. It would explain the slip stick nature of the problem.
That makes alot of sense because before i tried the reset procedure the sunroof would make a slight click and wiggle slightly when the switch was pushed to make it slide horizontally. after resetting, pushing that side of the switch does nothing what-so-ever... everything does sound very clunky and "plasticky" when the sunroof moves the tiny amount that it does up and down.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Try the "reset" procedure again. It doesn't always take the first time.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Try the "reset" procedure again. It doesn't always take the first time.
what he said.... also, I've found that the 'fix' takes hold better if I kill power AFTER doing it.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
After resetting, pushing that side of the switch does nothing what-so-ever...
I had something very similar happen a couple weeks ago. I reset the sunroof to try to get it so the vent would go up higher, but instead, I lost the back function of my switch. The problem was that my sunroof was catching on the roof of the car as it tried to pull back forcing it to stop the procedure, and it was permanently stuck in the reset program. To get it to stop catching, I had to play with the bolts under the sunroof to get it the right height so it would stop catching. I don't know if any of this will help, but just make sure you sunroof is not catching on anything and is not stuck in the reset program.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have tried the reset procedure a dozen times to no avail. it definately does seem to be catching on the roof when it goes up and down though. within the next few days i'll be trying to adjust it to make it not hit the roof. so is the motor sensing theres something wrong when it hits the roof and thats possibly my problem? i feel like we might be on to something here! and if i remember correctly, the first reset procedure i tried never 100% finished going down, up, then down again. it only ever went down once i think.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Danny. Not sure if this has been answered. But pull the motor, which is easy to do 3-4 bolts. Look at the metal lines leading from the area you just took the motor out of. See if both metal lines from the left and right are there. I'm willing to bet the side that isn't moving the line is yanked out. I haven't heard of a fix yet but I do have a complete working sunroof I might be getting rid of.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The OP had one problem, the last two prev. posters had another (alignment).

When you post "I had the same problem" it's hard to guess what YOUR problem is.

Two prev. possibilities listed in the thread, and a third from NotReal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Danny. Not sure if this has been answered. But pull the motor, which is easy to do 3-4 bolts. Look at the metal lines leading from the area you just took the motor out of. See if both metal lines from the left and right are there. I'm willing to bet the side that isn't moving the line is yanked out. I haven't heard of a fix yet but I do have a complete working sunroof I might be getting rid of.
The OP had one problem, the last two prev. posters had another (alignment).

When you post "I had the same problem" it's hard to guess what YOUR problem is.

Two prev. possibilities listed in the thread, and a third from NotReal.
Thanks guys. Sorry again Sailor - I was referring to the OP's problems. I really need to investigate into this more. There were some problems with alignment of the sunroof & it catching to the roof since I took the glass off several times, but as it sits now I'm fairly confident that its aligned well. Is the motor and remainder of the sunroof assembly all in the central area of the roof? Do I have to take apart the interior head-lining to access it? Thanks a lot guys!

·
Registered
13 Posts
sunroof issue

My 2004 SVT is having a problem with the sunroof. The forward part of the switch that should only close or vent the sunroof will open, close, and vent but the the rearward part of the switch that should only slide it open does nothing. I replaced the switch but no change. Has anyone had a similar problem, and may know how to correct this?

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
My 2004 SVT is having a problem with the sunroof. The forward part of the switch that should only close or vent the sunroof will open, close, and vent but the the rearward part of the switch that should only slide it open does nothing. I replaced the switch but no change. Has anyone had a similar problem, and may know how to correct this?
Doubt you have a blown fuse with that symptom, but did you know that system has two fuses? Check both F43 (15A) and F34 (20A) at interior fuse panel (CJB).

Seems like the motor is fried... But until the wiring is tested, nobody knows.

Check tracks for debris, which can block window travel.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
That's exactly how mine was, I thought it was the switch at first but I did the relearn procedure and it worked perfectly. It's free lol

Relearning function:
In case the moon roof does not close properly anymore, follow this relearning procedure.
• Tilt the moon roof into the vent position as far as possible. Release the switch.
• Press and hold the same switch again for 30 seconds until you see the moon roof move.
• Release the switch and immediately press and hold it again.
The moon roof will close, open fully and then close again.
Do not release the switch before the moon roof has reached the closed position for the second time.

Edit: Just a heads up, mine did not move after 30 seconds, I waited about a minute for it to do something, but it never did.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
That's exactly how mine was, I thought it was the switch at first but I did the relearn procedure and it worked perfectly. It's free lol

Relearning function:
In case the moon roof does not close properly anymore, follow this relearning procedure.
• Tilt the moon roof into the vent position as far as possible. Release the switch.
• Press and hold the same switch again for 30 seconds until you see the moon roof move.
• Release the switch and immediately press and hold it again.
The moon roof will close, open fully and then close again.
Do not release the switch before the moon roof has reached the closed position for the second time.

Edit: Just a heads up, mine did not move after 30 seconds, I waited about a minute for it to do something, but it never did.
Never even thought about this. Excellent advise. Great job Byron!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts