Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got a sub off of a local member here (thanks Zab [thumb]). I been wanting to down size for the sake of lightness, but I'm unwilling to give up full range sound, ya know what I mean [cool].

So I go to install it thinking it may be a bolt in affair. Nope, I have no holes and there is nothing to bolt the upper bracket too.

no holes in the floor

No wiring but I knew that already

No where for the bracket to bolt too. I even took the what you see off to see if there were matching holes in the body, but there were none. I assume this part is slightly different in later model years.

The mess I'm dealin' with

So being that there were no holes I needed to make some. All I did was shove the sub against the car, mark the hole with a black sharpie, then took my trusty Ryobi and metal drill bit. When choosing the bit I chose one just a hair smaller than the factory bolts since that's what I planned on. Be patient with the drill and let the bit do the work. Now after that was done, I cleaned the shaving's up and admired the two new holes I just put in the floor.

Now I didn't even tap the holes. All I did was put the factory bolts in and started putting them in. Now it's going to be hard at first but slowly but surely the went right in and were snug. Now they screw and unscrew like they should, very nice [headbang]. I did inspect the bolts and they looked great no damage and it's like they were meant to be there.

You can see in the pic that the sub box's feet fit right in the little indents on the floor, almost like they were meant to be there [idea]

Now that the bottom was done I need to stabilize the box at the top. Now being that there was nowhere to bolt the factory upper bracket too, I had to come up with a little country engineering if ya know I mean [:I].

So here is a little creative thinking [hihi]. It's connected to the screw that holds the panel in place. It's strong enough to hold the top steady. I will have to think of a better way in the future, but this will work for now.

All finished and installed. Now remember my car is a 01' and has a 169k mi on it so the carpets going to be a bit dirty [paranoid] [:p]

I also had the camera on the wrong setting so that's why it looks bad, I'll update them later.

I hope this helps some of the early model year owners out there looking to install the factory SVT sub. I did lot's of searching to see other people's solution but I could not find any. I searched both sites, and used different search words, but nothing. So here is my solution, till I think of a better one. [8D]

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Nice work. You can get a can of undercoating to help waterproof the screws where the came out underneath the car.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Did you get the wiring schematic to hook it up correctly? I got a print out from Ford showing the wiring to the stock amp. Until I blew the sub. Then I swapped the amp for a 400W and the sub for a 10".

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you mean correctly? Like the factory did it? If so then no, it's hooked up to the amp you see in the picture. It's more than enough for the factory sub, but it will work for now.

Now it's just a matter of if I want to try a different 8" sub or step up to a 10" sub. Then I have to find one to fit, and decide how much modification I want to do to the box. There are ton's of threads on it, so that should be much easier.

How did you like the 10" and the 400w amp? How did it sound and feel?

Oh and yeah I'll have to treat the holes and bolts on the underside with something to keep them from rusting. I've had the car this long, what's another 7yrs lol

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts
Nice. I still want to build me some fiberglass for mine.

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
Nice job Paul. Glad to see the sub in the car. And still have space for groceries.

-Ray-

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I been looking at sub replacements. The stock one won't cut it very long, but it definitely made the stereo sound much better. And being that I have a stock head unit for now, it really sounds like a nice stock system. Dare I say it sounds "cute"? It's like ahhh look at that little 8" try so hard. Like watching your kid trying something for the first time and its all cute cause they can do it but not well, ya know what I mean? What I really want to know is why don't the 6x8 bass like the 8 does? They are pioneer 6x8's they are really old though, but I've had different 6x8's before in my ranger and now focus and they all were lacking in the bass department. I mean I've heard stock speakers in other cars have decent bass, but it never seems that way in the focus. Which is also why I want/need a sub of some sort. I'm a firm believer in a "full range" system. I want to hear the lowest lows and the highest highs. You'd be surprised at how much you miss musically.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice. I still want to build me some fiberglass for mine.

I'm kinda serisously thinking of trying to make a box or fiberglass for the other side. One 8's nice but I've heard two before and it was very nice.

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts
Yeah my two 12's might be overkill.... Wait, what am I saying? Need moar base! Lol

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts
I wanna fiberglass one on each side. With an amp rack somewhere.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^That's always been my dream to do but never happened lol.

Driving around the stereo sounds good, but I keep wanting to turn the bass up or the amp, that stock sub is just not cutting it. Any cheap suggestions will greatly be appreciated. I'm looking using search right now, just a lot of reading. I want a sub that's effecient, can handle a small box, and at least 150rms. Now if I go with a 10 or a 8 I haven't decided. I may try a 8 first since it's easier than cutting the box up?

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts
If I remember correctly, the box needs to be filled some to get it to sound better. And my 8 hit plenty hard until it tore. Lol. Then upgraded to this set up that I had in my old camry.

·
Registered
207 Posts
kicker makes a nice 8".. idk about price tho but might be something to look into [thumb]
I have Type S Alpine speakers in the Eclipse with a 4-way 500w amp.. its like having an "n/a" (...?) sound system LoL sound quality is great!

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was running a amp to all four and had a sub, but my head unit crapped out on me. So I had to throw my stock one in (which I can't believe it works been sitting on it's side for years now lol). Since it doesn't have pre outs and I would have rewire my entire system for it work through the amp the proper way. Now I'm just waiting and looking for cheap head unit to get through till I spend some cash on a nice one.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, really need to upgrade this sub, it's kinda driving me crazy. Right when you start to get close to some nice loudness levels, the sub starts to let you know "hey guy it's a little too much" and I'm like wtf did if just tell me it's too much? So I'm searching, I want to buy one right now but if I just wait a lil' bit I can have some more cash to buy a better sub.

·
Registered
14,399 Posts
Oh I know theres some nice subs out there but they are a bit pricey ;) I was looking at a JBL 10 it was 700 bucks haha but sounded badass :p

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Whoa not even in the same galaxy as my budget lol. 50 bucks max, and that opens up some nice choices, brand names too, though I been eying these 8's on the bay'. I might try one just to see, but then again i don't feel like spending money twice.

·
Registered
14,399 Posts
700 bucks is outta my budget too haha I could do it but meh...I'd want two for that price lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts