Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know if the svt speedometer cluster gauges with the two extra gauges it comes with could be put in a non-svt with a 2.0 zetec. I don't need it but I think they look nice. White face gauges with SVT logo. Can it be done? Will the gauges read the right way? And what do u need to do this?

·
Registered
481 Posts
AFAIK the cluster itself will go in but the 2 smaller guages (oil pressure+temp?) are a PITA to install.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
heh, just answered this question for a gentleman on the other forum as well.

as long as it is a pre-05 car you own then the main portion of the SVT gauge cluster (speedo, tach, fuel and water temp) are plug and play. The axillary gauges from the SVT however (oil temp + pressure) cannot be installed as the non-SVT models lack the wiring harness for it.

You will also need to go buy a power inverter to connect the electroluminescent gauge face to. Like this one from Speedhut:
http://www.speedhut.com/product_detail-AUTO_NUMBER-368.htm

The only other thing to keep in mind is the milage on your current odometer. Write it down and keep it someplace you will remember it. This is because although your cars milage reading is calculated and stored in the ECU, the value is saved in the cluster as well. So when you plug in the SVT gauge cluster, your cars odometer will show the millage of the SVT it came out of. There is debate as to whether or not the ECU and cluster can be synched up again and how much it might cost at a dealer.

I installed an SVT cluster in my car right around 100k miles and instantly got a car that read 37k miles The value may not seem very important, but if you ever want to trade the car in, I really recommend disclosing the cars actually millage over what the odometer reads.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
the inveter is for the electrolumenescent palnel the evens out the green gow. with out it you get a strang glow like i have here

the paels wiring will be on top of the cluster. mine was missing it and i installed it anyway. the cluster still works and i thingk its really cool like this

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
the inveter is for the electrolumenescent palnel the evens out the green gow. with out it you get a strang glow like i have here

the paels wiring will be on top of the cluster. mine was missing it and i installed it anyway. the cluster still works and i thingk its really cool like this
I have seen yours before as well. It is quite cool in my opinion, but you are missing a little more than just the wiring for the EL glow, heh. Whoever had the cluster before you actually took the time to peel the EL glow layer OFF of the hard silver backing and then pasted it back onto the clear plastic base.[;)]

The SVT gauge clusters don't light up via bulbs behind the cluster like non-SVT models do. The whole face of the gauge lights up about the same color green as your trip/odometer box, while the numbers remain black. I only have one sucky picture of it at the moment. This is what the SVT gauges looked like when I first put them in. The REAL ones light much brighter. Mine is so dim on account of not having the correct inverter installed; the EL gauge face isn't getting enough power.

And a stock one with the bulbs behind the cluster shining through the green numbers.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The axillary gauges from the SVT however (oil temp + pressure) cannot be installed as the non-SVT models lack the wiring harness for it.
As well, these gauges work off the ECU. Therefore, even if you tried to wire them in they still won't work, as the standard ECU won't drive them

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
i would say just get speedhut to make you some.....its gonna be such a pain. A focus guy had them in LA and he couldn't get the face to light up worht shit. you need the AUX gauges, they have the curcuit bard in them that powers the face. And it's not just 12V, it's all converted to some wierd shit......have fun!!!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
i woild try an inverter first. as far as i know the extra gauges jsut power themselves lighting wise by pluggin into the extra harness end that noremal zx3's dont have.
i ahve not had an issue with mine at all. and i see waht you mean with missing a bit more. the whole panel is gone... but i dont care....

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found an SVT cluster on eBay for $50. It has almost the same amount of miles on it as my car. It has a 90 day warranty. And says it works perfect. U think this is a good deal or is it 2 much 2 deal with?

Killerzetec, u installed your SVT cluster without using a power inverter?
(off topic) static-x is a good band.

·
Registered
5 Posts
To make them work correctly you need the aux gauges and the wiring pigtail for it. You will need to have the wiring diagram. The main cluster gets it power for the back light from the aux gauges. I did it on my 01 zx3 if done correctly the brake light will go off as well as the ABS light.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have the SVT Cluster installed and I have the AC Inverter.

I have no idea what to do with the INverter besides ground the black wire. ANy insight to powering it and conncecting it.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
I used an inverter off of ebay.

It does work,

The Brake and ABS lights did stay on my non-ABS car. I did remove the ABS bulb. The Brake light is on all the time. This can only can be turned off by having the Dealership reprogram the cluster for $110.00

·
Registered
279 Posts
I used an inverter off of ebay.

It does work,

The Brake and ABS lights did stay on my non-ABS car. I did remove the ABS bulb. The Brake light is on all the time. This can only can be turned off by having the Dealership reprogram the cluster for $110.00

Ok cool, how do you make it work , my inverter has a white power, black ground, and another wire that has female plugs coming out of the inverter , not sure what do do with it besides ground the black wire. Can anyone help?

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
The one that has the dual wires and plug go into the connector on the top backside of the cluster housing. They are the 2 red wires.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Installing SPEED HUT Inverter

HOW TO: Speed Hut Inverter

OK Figured it out. If anyone is doing the conversion using the SPEEDHUT Inverter, this might help.

Tools:

SpeedHut Inverter
A Roll Electrical wire
Crimping Plyers
Electric Tape
Couple screws

The Speed hut Inverter has a WHite wire, Black wire, and a double black wire with different connectors on it.

The WHITE WIRE (Power) I extended with some electrical wire and it connects to PIN 13 on the light switch Harness. This is a orange and yellow wire. the PIN bracket easily disconnects from the light switch. I just took a razor blade until some of the wire was bare and wrapped the wire on and then wrapped with electrical tape. Below, the picture on the Left shows the light switch bracket. Orange and Yellow wire is 13. Whatever you do, Don't cut the red wire, the bomb may not defuse.

Diagram 202. Shows which wire to tap into (PIN 13)
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?pageId=0996b43f802e8246

The BLACK WIRE (Ground) I also extended this wire with electrical wire and then connnected it to the Steel frame that holds the fuse box on the driver side. This is a great place to ground any wire, It connects to the frame.

THe remaining (Lighting Wire) wire consist of a long band of black, 2 strand wire that has 8 seperate connecting pins. They are all useless. I cut the wire where the first Pin started and then Spliced the 2 strand black wire to make 2 seperate Wires. These 2 wires connect to the top 2 RED Wires on top of the SVT CLuster. Works well except I still have a parking brake light.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts