Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im planning on getting a 2000 5spd focus ZX4, for the 500 mi's i do to school and back weekly.

Im wondering what i can do to the zetec, to make it a little more snappier. not looking to kill ricer's or V8's, just maybe get her into the 7's like an svt?[dunno]

maybe swap SVT cylinder heads? headers? re-programming?[wrenchin]
id like to stay away from forced induction, but im super new to I4 tuning, so advice/experience/thoughts are welcome.

plus i dont need outstanding mpgs, just above 25, hah.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
^^ you will spend more on modding a zetec than you will just buying a SVT. IIRC, the zetec models have a 0-60 of about 9.5 seconds, and run roughly 40hp short of the SVT.

Thats a pretty big difference to make up, im not sure what it will take, but im almost certain that just buying a SVTf would be the cheaper alternative, not to mention all of the other upgrades that the SVT comes with stock.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Zetec's had a 8 sec range 0-60. I beat SVT's with my car with just some bolt on's. Depending on how cheap he can get the car for. You can buy used parts on the forum here saving even more money. With a SVT your pretty much limited since there is not much left on the table with a n/a SVT compared to n/a Zetec. Really it's a toss up IMO but the SVT's do have nicer interiors and such and everything that comes with the SVT.

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
^^ you will spend more on modding a zetec than you will just buying a SVT. IIRC, the zetec models have a 0-60 of about 9.5 seconds, and run roughly 40hp short of the SVT.

Thats a pretty big difference to make up, im not sure what it will take, but im almost certain that just buying a SVTf would be the cheaper alternative, not to mention all of the other upgrades that the SVT comes with stock.
your funny. How much are most svt's going for today? 6,000-10,000? He will probably spend 3,000 on that zetec sedan. He could put the most wicket turbo on that car, be 6 times faster than an svt and still spend less. 40 hp for 7,000 more? No thanks.

To the OP, a supercharger really is the best way to get consistent, reliable power. If you request an additional 2,000 on your loan (if you're getting one) you can do that and have plenty of daily driver power, and still get good mpg's. I modded my focus with bolt on's and its getting less and less fun to drive in the city.

If i cant sway you to supercharge, I would say svt intake, stage 2 cams, tune, svt header and exhaust.

Matt

Posted via FF Mobile

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I'd have to go through receipts again but, I've got about $2,500 into my car and making more power than a SVT, more power than some S/C zetec's too. But the swap is tough because parts are hard to come by.

Based on airflow here is abouts the kind of power I'm making at the flywheel:

and just logg'd a 0-60 run, 6.5 seconds, [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]-footing it to keep wheel spin sorta low (which really isn't possible)

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
your funny. How much are most svt's going for today? 6,000-10,000? He will probably spend 3,000 on that zetec sedan. He could put the most wicket turbo on that car, be 6 times faster than an svt and still spend less. 40 hp for 7,000 more? No thanks.
i highly doubt that you can find a zetec sedan under 100k miles for $3k. I know you can find SVTs at 60k for $6500, so its only safe to assume that you could find a equivolent mile rated SVT for only $1000 more.

You are also forgetting that the SVT has a better interior, better suspension, 17" wheels, svt body kit, etc.

KBB Values a 2002 sedan with 80k miles in excelent condition at $5500

KBB Values a 2002 SVT with 80k in excelent condition at $6000

It seems to me that you either have a very misinformed view on car prices, or you are comparing a high-milage beater to a low mileage car in good shape.

Either way, my point is that a SVT in similar shape to whatever car you are buying isnt going to be that much more, and the simple answer is that the SVT is equiped better in just about every area, and you will spend thousands upon thousands to get a zetec sedan to come on par. Both in performance, looks, and comforts.

Finally, i drove a 2000 zetec for 60k miles, that was no 8 second 0-60 car, with an intake and a few other minor mods, i had mine in the low 9s. My SVT has run proven (track and radar tested) 6.9 0-60s with only a high-flow filter.

Im not saying that getting a zetec to outpeform the svt is impossible, im just saying that from a standpoint of cost, the svt is by far the better buy.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
^You really need to see the SVT prices up here.

It's in-friggin-sane!

·
FF Affiliate
31,169 Posts
To answer your question the best things to add would be

SVT header
adj cam gears
stg3 comp cams
2.5 or 3 inch Exh
SVT intake , air box , Inj , MAF
TB
Full custom tune

That will net you a very good gain and 90% can be found used on here

Tom

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
i highly doubt that you can find a zetec sedan under 100k miles for $3k. I know you can find SVTs at 60k for $6500, so its only safe to assume that you could find a equivolent mile rated SVT for only $1000 more.
It's possible to find a sedan focus with around 100k for between 3-4000 easy. All svt's that are not POS are always over 6,000. the odd's are more likely that an svt will have been beaten on more than a regular focus, so alot of higher mileage svt's are expensive to maintain. my friend has one and its a money pit. A low mileage svt can be had from upwards of 8,000 any day of the week.

You are also forgetting that the SVT has a better interior, better suspension, 17" wheels, svt body kit, etc.
He only stated that he wanted a school commuter with a little more "umph." I wouldn't want low profile 17's for year around use. especially with the miles he will be traveling.

KBB Values a 2002 sedan with 80k miles in excelent condition at $5500
KBB Values a 2002 SVT with 80k in excelent condition at $6000
Everyone knows that KBB is a joke, try looking up a site that has accurate vehicle prices. Zetec 5 speed foci arent worth anywhere near 5500 bucks, my friend. even mint condition. and you could get more for an svt in excellent condition than 6k.

Finally, i drove a 2000 zetec for 60k miles, that was no 8 second 0-60 car, with an intake and a few other minor mods, i had mine in the low 9s. My SVT has run proven (track and radar tested) 6.9 0-60s with only a high-flow filter.
My zetec 5 speed with 180,000 miles will do 0-60 in around 8 seconds, if not a little less. only bolt ons.

If the OP did nothing more than buy the zetec, slap an intake, exhaust and TopSpeed intake manifold, he would be faster than an svt, and still spend far less money. those mods cost what, 1500 max? thats like 30-35 whp, easy.

Sedan+mods=4,500
Svt= 6,000-9-000

[/rant]

Matt

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
I agree with drostedrummer. Hands down you can find used Zetec's all day long. With a SVTF your taking more of a chance with it plus it is a higher maintenance car compared to the normal Zetec. There are pro's and cons to both. Every cheap SVTF I've run across has had a salvaged or rebuilt title.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i got my 02 wagon with 88k for 2k cash and its in AMAZING condition i know cus im the mechanic that been working on it for over 2 years and got it from the lil old lady !

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
If the OP did nothing more than buy the zetec, slap an intake, exhaust and TopSpeed intake manifold, he would be faster than an svt, and still spend far less money. those mods cost what, 1500 max? thats like 30-35 whp, easy.

[/rant]

Matt
Your funny...

Posted via FF Mobile

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
Whats funny? Top Speed gained 15 whp on a stock automatic zetec with their intake manifold. Do some reading. A regular zetec with a good intake, TS manifold, svt header and exhaust should put it at close to the same hp as a stock svt. And since the gearing in the mtx75 is better off the line, it should match (or be faster) than an svt from a light. And he'd even have money left over for cams.

For thousands less.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Whats funny? Top Speed gained 15 whp on a stock automatic zetec with their intake manifold. Do some reading. A regular zetec with a good intake, TS manifold, svt header and exhaust should put it at close to the same hp as a stock svt. And since the gearing in the mtx75 is better off the line, it should match (or be faster) than an svt from a light. And he'd even have money left over for cams.

For thousands less.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

Posted via FF Mobile Top speed got 15whp just from an intake manifold...on an automatic focus? I find that hard to believe. Regardless, oh now its an intake, intake manifold, svt header and exhaust. Oh, I guess I miss read your last post. I didnt see a header in there.

Your still going to need a good tune, cams, and adjustable gears. And do some reading? Ive been here since 2004 and have read plenty about people here on the forum doing their own NA builds. Ive also been here long enough to know their isnt a magical intake manifold that will get an automatic focus 15whp, or else eveyone would have one and wouldnt be digging around in the junkyard trying to find a 2000 focus intake manifold or porting their own.

And now Im whipping out another besides the fact, the OP still hasnt told us what transmission hes getting. If hes getting an automatic hell be spending a ton of money to give it good power because he'll also have to upgrade the trans to handle the extra torque. A svt is more because it comes with a ton of stuff, including bigger brakes, rear discs, svt suspension etc. But I guess we just talking about power here.

Id also like to add that he said he wants a zx4...so even if he wants a manual the chances of him easily finding a good condition one with a manual, WITH a zetec motor is slim. People here are talking about the zetec but are forgetting many sedans came with SPIs, unless you got a zetec as an option or got a zts.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
And the comment about a bolton zetec beating an svt is mostly due to the superior/shorter gearing for drag racing the zetec 5 speed has. the svt is geared for road/autox racing.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
... and too much I've read, I've read, I've read; not enough I've done (but that's normal).

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
http://m.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242141

scroll down, they took the turbo off the car and dyno'd it with just that manifold on.

People look for y2k manifolds because they are cheap and oem. This manifold cost $500+. I'm not saying you're not an informed member, but look in topspeeds link above, they started with 108 whp and ended with 123 whp.

An automatic focus doesnt need to be "beefed up" for bolt ons. With a tune he would be fine.

And yes, the svt is a much nicer car. The leather is gorgeous, the car is clean and understated, comes with great power over the stock form, and better all around performance. The OP requested what he could do in a daily commuter zetec sedan. Which is alot less money than an svt.

Bigred, I mentioned this in my previous post.

this is my bolt on focus against my friend's bolt on svt focus. With even 10 more HP from a manifold, I would have been neck and neck, if not pulling ahead of him.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

1 - 20 of 31 Posts