Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice, help or suggestions on what do to with my 2003 SVT. I rebuilt the engine a couple months ago due to an over heat. I had the head redone w/ a 3 angle valve job etc... Since I was already there, I decided to replace the rod & main bearings w/ a new oil pump, water pump, timing belt and the works! Now after 300 miles, it sounds like a rod bearing may have let loose. Kinda strange knock, not the normal rod knock I am use to hearing...

Not sure what to do. I did cut a corner on the bottom and by not pulling the block and mic'ing the crank. (I guess I should have now) But the bearings all looked like they were in great shape. I used OEM piston rings, and clevite rod & main bearings.

So I am trying to figure what to do. I already spent a lot of time and money the first time. I don't really have the time to do this all again. If someone had a good rebuilt short block then I could do this in a weekend. Otherwise, maybe I should sell the car as is..? I am located in So. California North of L.A. Does anyone recommend a good engine rebuilder for our SVT locally? If I had to do this all over again, I would have bought a engine from Tom - i've read more than once he builds a great engine. Now, I just want this thing running so I can sell it. I already bought my wife a newer car.

Help, suggestions, anyone want to buy a 2003 Focus SVT 5 door, almost loaded?? HID's, Sunroof, CD Silver w/ Red center seats, 6 disc CD...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone...ideas, suggestions? I might list this car for sale if anyone might be interested. I have no idea what I would be looking to get since I have never sold a car with a engine problem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
edited for being an idiot, selling a car with a blown motor you'll never get enough to make you happy, I wouldn't expect to see much more than 2000, and honestly around here it wouldn't sell for anything more than 1k

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't ask for insults. If that is all you have you obviously need a life. Don't waste my time if you can't help me with a reputable engine shop or other productive suggestion.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I edited my comment because I said why don't you buy a block from tom therefore I was an idiot, you asked what a car with a blown motor was worth, the answer is not much, its not an insult and I'm sorry you took it that way. The smart thing to do would be to fix it to keep from getting truly screwed when selling it.

I've had my fair share of projects that seem like they never end, It took me 9 months worth of weekends and a few late nights to get my '84 GT Turbo to even run.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
as you can tell, I didn't understand your reply...sorry

I should have originally bought a motor from Tom. Now I just want to get out from underneath the car b/c I don't have anymore time or money to spend. I don't know if it is possible to buy a short block for a grand to fix this. That is why I was hoping that someone on here could recommend a place to have my short block fixed/rebuilt -whatever to bring this car back to life. I love this car, but all things have to go at some point.

You are right, if I try to sell as is, I may not even get a hope or prayer of getting some of my money back out of it. But who knows...maybe someone out there wants a SVT in need of a short block b/c they want to go turbo?

Hey all you out there in So. California... suggest a engine builder here?

·
FF Affiliate
31,175 Posts
A H U G H mistake SVT home engine builders make is they have an engine failure and they dont clean out there oil cooler , when you have an engine failure you get trash in the oil cooler , they cannot 100% be cleaned out and you MUST buy a new one if you had bearing failure or a lot of metel particles change the oil cooler or at least try to clean it out

Tom

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Tom. When I originally did my motor, it was for a blown head gasket. There was no metal floating in the engine. I have changed the oil, and I still see no metal. However, when I had the engine apart, I did try and blow out all the orfices I could with my compressor. I also thoroughly "washed" my engine with several cans of brake cleaner. My mistake was not mic'ing the journals. When I took everything apart the bearings looked like new - which i've never seen on a 100k motor. I checked 1 journal on the #1 piston with plasti-gage and it was within specs...so "I got lazy!!"

My head has a 3 angle valve job and is completely within MFG specs. I just need a short block. If I were keeping the car I would buy a low compression block for a turbo or supercharger and not worry about the money. But I need the car gone, so if someone can recommend a local engine builder, I would appreciate it.

·
FF Affiliate
31,175 Posts
First you shouldnt be using plasti-gauge , thats like saying I got close playing horse shoes
Only way to do a crank properly is to clean , properly polish , mic the crank and set clearances anything short of this and in my opinion it isnt done properly

I have a crank in the shop that has 1,320,000 miles (postal truck) on it and it would build back with STD bearings , If the oil psi is right and oil changed regular there should be no ware on the rod or main journal because the bearing should never touch the crank because it flaots in oil

Tom

·
Registered
35 Posts
did you re clean the head after the shop had it you never know how lazy they were either when doing the job. hope everthing was trq to specs

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually, the head shop did a really good job. They used motor oil on the assembly (like you are supposed to - not grease). I double checked all clearences before I put the head back on, and everything was right on the money. The head shop specializes in V8 drag motors, so they don't get a lot of these 4 bangers. But I have taken a lot of business to them in the past and that is why I trusted them. I guess I would have to ask if they do short blocks...

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm interested in buying the car! I've got a built shortblock needing a new home and it sounds like a match! What do you want for the car and is it driveable? Pm me asap

·
Registered
24 Posts
Like everybody above is saying if it is a rod bearing then whoever chose your rod bearing sizes or machined everything set them too loose. Another thing is if oil pressure was off for some reason after rebuild, perhaps oil pump is bad or clogged oil cooler like stated above. Whenever you rebuild anything everything should be cleaned or flushed out correctly so there is no chance of unwanted foreign particles ending up where they shouldn't be. That being said good luck. See if the shop who built your engine will help you out at all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Everyone, I thank you for what I did wrong, or what I should have done. But I would appreciate some advice on who is a decent engine builder here in Southern California. I am probably going to pull this engine and take it somewhere, but I'd like to know who knows the SVT engine, or who is reputible. I haven't had to have an engine built in many years...so I am unsure who to trust.
Thank you!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
still no one can recommend a good engine place in So. California? All I need is my short block done - done right. I don't need a turbo build since I am going to sell the car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Tom. I should have had you do the whole motor to begin with. Next time!

I sold the car today. Someone got close enough to my price and it is gone.

It is a sad day!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts