Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the shifter knobs on our SVT's just unscrew like a regular knob?? Also, does anyone know what thread they are?? Same as mustangs???...Thanks

·
Oh yeah!
2,522 Posts
You'll most likely need a 17mm wrench to get the knob off of the shifter. All you have to do is pop off the lower plastic ring that clips into the transmission tunnel/console piece in the interior. Just be gentle pushing in the base of the boot to slip it off.

As far as the thread patterns being the same, I do not know for certain.

·
Registered
588 Posts
And don't use a screwdriver to remove the boot, or else you get a nice hole like I did in mine. I believe my friends words were: "like a warm knife through butter". lol.

·
Registered
291 Posts
i didnt know about the 17mm trick untill after i screwed my knob up, heh. one of these days ill look into a new one. i just got teeth marks from where my visegrips bit through the leather glove. i got pissed off so i resorted to the visegrips. i guess thread lock would explain it

·
Oh yeah!
2,522 Posts
Thread lock? Mine didn't have any sort of thread lock on the shifter. It was nice and clean, but it was always tight.

Here's something I tried if any of you are interested. You know those little foam bumpers that you can buy for small furniture items? I took one of them and put it on top of the shifter. After I drove the car hard to go through all the gears, I noticed I was able to get rid of the vibrations that came through the top of this shifter. I'd suggest a slightly stiffer bumper - like rubber or plastic - over the foam in retrospect.

·
Registered
189 Posts
2002silversvt5 said:
I just bought a new knob for my STS when I installed it. Original knob simply would not come off.
Wanna sell me your stock knob. Is it in good condition?

·
Registered
145 Posts
LoL my knob is still stuck to the original shifter. Never could get it off thanks to the thread lock. I cut the shifter in half to get it off. Plus mine originally had scratches on it when I bought it that got on my nerves. I'm glad I switched it out.

·
Registered
579 Posts
shift knobs

so what knobs will work for the stock or STS shifter? i have been looking at a knob from RAZO on NOPI's web site and it says it fits 8, 10 or 12 shaft size. anyone know if this will work? any feed back/help is appreciated.

·
Registered
579 Posts
anyone

can anyone help?????????

1 - 16 of 16 Posts