Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you know if it is an easy fix?

I have tried 2 SVT and i find their shifter hard to change.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts

·
Banned
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well thanks for your link![:)]

Actually my Golf with a brand new transmisson is very easy to shift compared to the 2 SVT i'have tried.

I don't know if this has to do with the shifter.[???:)]

Is it possible to simply add grease somewhere in there for smoother shift?

Or maybe a lil bit of WD40...[:D]

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Sometimes, adjusting the cables can help a bit, but I'm not sure where the procedure for that is at the moment...

Ah, it's right here:
http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=49
MTX-75 instructions, but IIRC, the procedure should be similar on the Getrag.
There's also this one, but again, for the MTX-75:
http://www.teamfocus.us/shiftcable.htm

Is it possible to simply add grease somewhere in there for smoother shift?
Or maybe a lil bit of WD40...

^^^LOL!!
Yes, might help, but a STS will help a lot more. [;)]

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 1-2 Shift is aweful...If I try to do it too fast, it locks me out of 2nd gear for a bit. Today, I was playing around and the damn thing denied me of a good 1-2 shift. I honestly think my trans is shot....or, at least a synchro...no grind though. Just feels like the shift cable gets hung up. I dont know how else to describe it.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
cool thanks for the links [:D] i'll do that vf rear mount sometime soon... that and i also have the rear engine mount soon too.

not that i have any problems with mine of course

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
TurboSVTF said:
My 1-2 Shift is aweful...If I try to do it too fast, it locks me out of 2nd gear for a bit. Today, I was playing around and the damn thing denied me of a good 1-2 shift.
That happened to me at a few AutoCross events right after I bought the car.
I had to "short shift" to prevent it from happening.
After the VF mount...problem solved. [:D]

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yep, that VF rear mount will make that "1-2 lock-out" a thing of the past. The only downside is added vibration at idle. Some people say they can't feel a thing. For me, with the AC off, the vibration is barely noticeable, but when I turn the AC on, the steering wheel gives me a pretty good massage.

Thank goodness I have a tune [:D] . Bumped my idle to 1025 rpm and no more vibrations!!!!!

·
Was that our exit?!?
2,054 Posts
I like it being a little "tough" to get it into gear. I find mine though very easy to pull out of gear (while the clutch is still engaged.) Thats with the stock shifter. I cant wait to get the Steeda/FRPP STS.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have an STS and Rear mount AND Royal Purple...none of that cured my woes. The higher I go in the RPMs the tougher it gets...maybe I'll try to short shift my car on the 1-2 and bury the tach on the others...

·
Registered
33 Posts
..also, when I am at idle, clutch in its even sticky doing a 1-2. It just feels like its snagging. Maybe I need new cables...???

My name is pre-emptive (but when I get that turbo on, a slow 1-2 wont matter anymore!) 1 WEEK and I'll be hissing!

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
sts = short throw shifter
vf = [???:)].... yeah what is that lol

·
Was that our exit?!?
2,054 Posts
vf engineering rear motor mount. its a popular mod. prothane bushings for your rear motor mount allow less play between engine and transmission making for better shifts, and a rougher idle.

·
Banned
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone else who has a cure when the shifter is hard to shift?

Does the link provided in this post is a 100% cure?

I'm sure the used SVT that i will buy will be hard to shifth.

Especially the reverse.Yeah i'm quite [paranoid] when it comes to shifth on reverse.The last 2002 i've tried was so hard to get on reverse.[:(!]How do you get inside there?

·
Registered
60 Posts
TurboSVTF said:
..also, when I am at idle, clutch in its even sticky doing a 1-2. It just feels like its snagging. Maybe I need new cables...???

My name is pre-emptive (but when I get that turbo on, a slow 1-2 wont matter anymore!) 1 WEEK and I'll be hissing!

This happened to me before i was completely stuck into gear. It turned out being the lower shift cable had came apart. It could be that yours is working its way loose at the White fitting that secures the cable into the cable bracket. If not, it just may need adjusted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts