Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a difference in the number of threads a 2002 SVTF Shift knob has compared to a 2003?

I bought one off someone on ebay and the pattern only screws on to:

531R

instead of

R123

Thanks for any help,
Paulie

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think there may be a difference.

I scratched my stock "2004" shift knob trying to get it off when installed my Steeda STS (before I found the tips on this website that tells you about the "flats" on the bottom of it).

Anyway, I bought a new-in-box one from a board member (p/n 2M5Z-7213-BA 'Made in Germany') and it tightens down just like your's does. It WILL NOT turn any more in order to straighten the shift pattern. I know this because I ended up rounding off the flats with my 17mm wrench...before giving up and putting my scratched original one back on.

When I tighten my original one down, it gets tight, but they you can turn it at least one more turn around (360 degrees) in order to get it both tight and with the shift pattern straight.

Anyone have any ideas? Are there "late" and "early" part numbers possibly for SVTF shift knobs?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha. sucks doesn't it.

The only solution I came to was to use "Loctite" Threadlock Industrial Strength.

What you want to do is cover the inside of the knob with an even amount, then the threads on the shifter itself. twist the knob on until it won't go anymore, then turn it back just a little to where it will read the correct pattern:

R 1 3 5
2 4 6

Let it sit for about 10 minutes, you'll be fine. It'll be a pain to take it off, but if you already changed your shifter you're not going to have to.

Hope this helps,
Paul

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's a pretty good idea...how long have you had your's installed this way? Has it ever twisted or loosened up on you?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
118 Posts
When I put my Steeda STS in I had the same problem. I just put a couple of washer inside of the shift konb to space it up so that the numbers lined up correctly. It took a couple of different thinkness washers to get it just right, but now I can take the shift knob off again if I want with little problem.

·
Registered
560 Posts
yes i agree with the washer idea, i almost had the same problem with the steeda sts, but it took me like 3 days of hand wrenching pain to turn it SOOO much til the pattern became strait, i know it's gonna be aPAIN to get off later but at least it looks good for now!!! =)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've never had the shift knob loosen up on me with the Loctite.

It seems like the Factory might have used some type of bonding material to the knob/shifter to begin with.

In regards to the Washer Idea... Can't you see the Washer's?

How ugly would that look.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think he meant to put small washer up inside the shift knob, not around the base of the threads on the shifter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts