Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just finished swapping SVT seats into my ZXW - front and rear. The rear seats are honestly what I'm most impressed with. They're significantly more comfortable than the original seats, have headrests in the rear (a safety issue on the originals without headrests) and the seat bottom folds 2/3, which means you can have one or two of the seats fully folded down and still seat someone in the back.

In any case, HUGE upgrade for anyone considering doing it.

The one snag is that the ZXW has wider seatback latch positions than the ZX3 or ZX5. In order to make the seats latch back when upright, you need to space out the latches somehow. I managed to make these spacers out of 1" aluminum stock:

I know, I know, the hardware is too long. Yeah well that's what I had that worked. They're M8 screws, for anyone wondering.

So for anyone doing this in the future, the latches need to be moved 1" inboard and it'll work great.

ALSO - the rear middle seatbelt has an interlock with the seatback latch. If the latch isn't connected, the seatbelt will be locked all the way in. This confused me when I encountered it and made me worry that the middle seatbelt was broken.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, you guessed it. I didn't have any sort of drawing to work off of, I just did it by eye for the most part.

I measured the two main screw holes first, then drilled those positions on my aluminum stock. I believe it was 2.09" that I used as the dimension, but that's going off memory and might not be correct.

Then I put the screws into the stock ford bracket and pressed the two "bulges" into the aluminum stock with some machinist's blue dye on the ends. I milled out two holes for those to fit into, just by eye.

There's one tiny pin that needs a small hole as well, same method.

After the pin hole is milled out, the bracket should sit completely flush against the spacer, and you can trace the outline with a scribe and just machine it away, again by eye.

It's a little too curvy/irregular for me to bother making a real drawing for it.

One thing to note is the trim around the seatback latch will need to be cut a little bit to fit around the spacer if you do it this way. You can see it in my pictures, the lower corner of the original hole in the trim. I'm sure you could mill out a little bit more material to avoid that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Pics of the front seats? Curious how the interior looks with some color on the seats. Did you use ZX5 seats? They don't tilt like the ZX3 seats, correct? Just curious what you used.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought these seats, the whole set, off Craigslist, so I didn't have an option of ZX5 vs ZX3. The deal was too good to pass up ($100 for the whole set, plus door cards), but they're ZX3 seats, so they do tilt forward. It's not like the tilt function causes any problems, so I'm not really concerned about that.

The door cards that came with these seats are strange. The fronts are out of a ZX3 and clearly will not fit my ZXW. The rears are (obviously) out of a ZX5. I haven't tried installing any of it, but I think it'd look better with the SVT door cards in.

I'll get some pics to post later.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just picked up a set with blue inserts from a 5 door STV with door cards.
Its all going into my 02 blue wagon.
The grey door cards are a darker shade than my current grey interior though, I may end up buying the whole interior from the SVT including the dash to make it look right.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice! The only challenging part of the swap is spacing the latches our in the rear. If you don’t have access to some sort of machining, I’m sure there are ways to improvise it. Someone else on here used some inch long sockets, iirc.

Share some pics when you’re done!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Your wagon looks great! Do you know if any other MK1/MK1.5 Focus other than SVT came with the 60/40 seat bottom?

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! Not sure if any others did. I know for sure that my 05 wagon had a single piece seat bottom, all the way across. I sorta doubt there were any others than the SVT but maybe someone will chime in and prove me wrong.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
My 2002 wagon is the same - one piece seat bottom. I have a feeling they all are. Ive always thought the way Ford did that was stupid as without folding the seat bottom down the seat backs dont lay flat. But if you put the botton down you've lost both rear seats. My wifes old 2002 Jetta wagon (long gone) had the seat backs and bottoms split 60/40 and there were many times we folded one seat down flat and kept the other one up for my son to sit in.

Even without the custon side blocks you needed to make this retrofit is difficult for the average wagon owner as most SVT seats are only sold as a complete set and can be $$$.

Do you have any pics that show how those unique SVT seat bottoms mounted to your wagon floor? Did you have to add any mounting holes, etc?

Paul

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I actually just used the two holes for the one-piece seat bottom. So the passenger side (single seat piece in rear) has only the right fastener in, and the driver side (side and middle seat piece) has only the left fastener. The seats sit in the right spot on their own, and even more so when someone is sitting on them. The only time you notice the lack of the two fasteners is if you lift the seat bottoms to fold down the seats, but then all you really need to do is to be careful not to put too much torque on the existing fasteners.

I'm sure you could drill holes and add rivnuts if you wanted to, but there really isn't a need to do that.

As far as the ease of the swap, it's probably simplest if you're going into a pre-facelift 2000-2004 model, as the underseat connectors in the front are most likely the same. The rebuild of the connectors to fit the 2005-2007 standard was the biggest part of this.

The latch spacers absolutely don't need to be as elaborate as I made them, I just happen to have access to a machine shop and figured I'd make them nice. You could certainly just grab something an inch wide and jam it between the latch and the side of the car and tighten down those screws.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The SVT has a extra plate spot welded to the floor panel with those extra mounting points.
Im thinking of cutting it out to spot weld into my wagon.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I actually just used the two holes for the one-piece seat bottom. So the passenger side (single seat piece in rear) has only the right fastener in, and the driver side (side and middle seat piece) has only the left fastener. The seats sit in the right spot on their own, and even more so when someone is sitting on them. The only time you notice the lack of the two fasteners is if you lift the seat bottoms to fold down the seats, but then all you really need to do is to be careful not to put too much torque on the existing fasteners.

I'm sure you could drill holes and add rivnuts if you wanted to, but there really isn't a need to do that.

As far as the ease of the swap, it's probably simplest if you're going into a pre-facelift 2000-2004 model, as the underseat connectors in the front are most likely the same. The rebuild of the connectors to fit the 2005-2007 standard was the biggest part of this.

The latch spacers absolutely don't need to be as elaborate as I made them, I just happen to have access to a machine shop and figured I'd make them nice. You could certainly just grab something an inch wide and jam it between the latch and the side of the car and tighten down those screws.
Thank you for that info!
Paul

1 - 20 of 20 Posts