Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, have a problem that just arose. As I was leaving my house for your my SVT was running good, all of a sudden I hit the main road and it's running really bad. As I take off from a stop it almost feels like a slipping clutch, then when I hit like 25 and keep accelerating the car/exhaust makes like a "pop, pop, pop, pop" (very fast and constant) sound it also vibrates and the car really bogs down. Even at a stand still (clutch disengaged) if I rev it it makes the same sound along with the vibration, it almost sounds like a diesel truck. I can hear it pretty good as I have the MBRP, plus at idle you can feel the car missing. Any clues?

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
check all of the plugs and wires. could be just that one came loose or something. if not that, try vaccum hoses and stuff. It could be more serious as bad injector or coil, but rule out all of the easy stuff first.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Either something broke ( unlikely ) or something has come loose as suggested above. I would also check the fuel filter, did you just fill up with gas?? Might have got some H2o in the tank

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I pulled out each plug and checked them and they are fine. Well this started with a 1/4 tank, so i stopped by Chevron and filled up plu I added that small bottle of Lucas' Fuel system treatment/upper cylinder lube. Have not checked the fuel filter yet, should I buy one (mine is less than a year old.)? Also is there a good brand of Fuel System cleaner/fuel injector cleaner, etc... for this situation to test out?

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
You can even just pull the filter you have and dump whats in it out on a clean piece of concrete, if there is water in the fuel it will form droplets that stand up on top of the fuel.

·
Registered
672 Posts
If it's an even repetitive sound, you can probably rule out fuel pump, filter, because it sounds that one cylinder might be dead. You said the plugs look good. Do they all look the same in color? With the pop in the exhause, could be a valve not sealing, or combustion not firing in one cylinder, resulting in a burn further down the line, like in the converter.

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
check the wiring plug at the coilpack. seems there was a rash of one of the wires breaking at the plug last fall. ford has a kit out (the plug with about 6 inch wires) to replace it if its bad.
while its running move each wire around and see if you notice any change. also look at the wires right where they go into the plug and see if theres anything obviously wrong.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
viney266 said:
Find anything ????
Well after putting fresh Chevron gas I put in the Lucas Additive and a bottle of Valvoline Water remover. Kept running bad for a little bit but it just went away.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Also, check your TPS sensor. I have found several that have gotten water inside the potentiometer exciter ring and caused the same issue that you describe. Repeated operation wears the corrosion/moisture off the contacts and the problem will go away until the car sets again in a moist/rainy environment.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Hypnotic said:
Also, check your TPS sensor. I have found several that have gotten water inside the potentiometer exciter ring and caused the same issue that you describe. Repeated operation wears the corrosion/moisture off the contacts and the problem will go away until the car sets again in a moist/rainy environment.
I've replace 3 TPS's for that very same reason. (doesn't help that I run a CAI in rainy season in florida)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts