Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have warped my SVT rotors. 21K. Likely due to washing the car with still hot rotors (not a good idea). Only have about 20-30% pad wear.

2 Questions, appreciate any help:

1) Who offers best prices on EBC or Brembo rotors?

2) Are these "floating" rotors, so I can replace them just by moving the caliper out of the way?

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Not sure about the price but when me and my buddy changed mine we just flipped the caliper and pads up. I have the EBC dimpled and slotted rotors and i love them. They work great and look good doing it.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Brembo doesn't make a rotor in SVT size (300mm, 4x108 lug pattern.) I have the BAT Inc. brake kit which uses the same size, and it came with blank EBC rotors which were decent performers but weren't plated and they rust heavily on unswept surfaces. I just replaced them after ~30,000 miles with a pair of Centric blank rotors (http://www.cobaltfriction.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idProduct=53712) which are very high quality. They're $63 each but worth every penny IMO...I've had them on the car for about 1,000 miles and they're just starting to show wear (the milling marks on the surface is just starting to fade on both sides,) and they stop the car better than my previous EBCs.

I'd stay away from cross-drilled/slotted/dimpled rotors...removing metal from the rotors makes them heat up faster than solid rotors and the added surface area doesn't make them cool any faster. All it does is enhance appearance.

Oh, and while you're in there you should replace the stock pads with something aftermarket...Ford uses a hard pad and a soft rotor combination that completely destroys rotors, just about any aftermarket pad is better than the Ford OEM pads.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
^^^good to know...I LOVE the way my D&S front rotors look though.....

I eventually plan to get Hawk HPS pads when the stock pads wear out.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HaveBlue83 said:
^^^good to know...I LOVE the way my D&S front rotors look though.....

I eventually plan to get Hawk HPS pads when the stock pads wear out.
With no Brembo, Baer, or Wilwood rotors available I am sorta leaning to EBCs. Is there any data that shows some of the other brands to be better or a better value?

I plan to keep the stock pads until they wear a bit more. I did try to find the Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads I run on my SHO (with Wilwood rotors) as that is an outstanding combo, but there don't seem to be any.

Final thought, is the BAT inc. seems to be a good deal for the EBC/Mintek A/F pads, but haven't heard anybody raving about those pads. Anyone?

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
When I installed my BAT front kit it came with the Mintex A/F pads...they weren't bad, but at the same time they generated almost as much dust as the stock pads. Right now I'm running Hawk HPS, but I think I'm going to get a set of the Mintex 1144 race compound pads BAT sells.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yesterday I bought the EBC dimple/slotted rotors for both front and back. Got them shipped from www.autopartswarehouse.com for $327.

I plan to keep the OEM pads for now. I hear they are hard compound. Other than dust, does anyone know of any incompatibilities of this combo? I will eventually upgarde to HAWK HPS pads.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
I'd replace the pads at this time too. Don't use the old ones with the new rotors if that was your plan. A proper bedding process is critical to good brake function and optimal performance and new pads (even new OEM ones) will assure this gets done appropriately. Don't cheap out now after spending good money for the new rotors.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Geezer said:
Don't cheap out now after spending good money for the new rotors.
Ahhhhhwwwwwww Man. I wanted to go cheap. Cheap makes me happy. Plus the boss is just gonna go ballistic when I had another $150 for Hawk pads.

I bought this little scooter to be frugal (it is that on fuel), but parts seem to be an alltogether different story.

OK then, where is the CHEAPEST price for Hawk HPS pads, inc shipping????

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Back to SQUARE 1...

Autopartswarehouse shipped my new EBC rotors, and didn't inform me that raised the price of my sale. Long story short, the salesman agreed to honor their 10% off ad on google, it appeared the company decided to override that, and raised the rate back up by saying my quote didn't include shipping. I thought words like "The total to be billed to your VISA is $327.20" sorta implied what my total cost was.

So refusing shipment.

No what? Any suggestions on anybody that sells the specific EBC rotor / Hawk HPS pad combo? Would like a good deal.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
BAT Inc sells those same rotors with Mintex A/F pads for $260...$330 for rotors alone is highway robbery.

I'd also suggest sticking with blank rotors...slotting/dimpling/crossdrilling are counterproductive to braking, as it reduces the mass of the rotor which results in quicker heatup times, and at the same time it doesn't increase cooling enough to offset the lost mass.

·
Registered
66 Posts
After a lot of hassle I found a distributor, Parts Authority in New York. My local distributors sucked at getting Brembos.
So for those of you who want Brembo OEM for your SVT use them with Part Number BR27315.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
Powerslot also offers rotors for our SVT's good find on the Brembo #.

rear rotor # is 27316

but these Brembos are not dimpled, slotted nor crossdrilled. they are blanks.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BlokesSVT said:
After a lot of hassle I found a distributor, Parts Authority in New York. My local distributors sucked at getting Brembos.
So for those of you who want Brembo OEM for your SVT use them with Part Number BR27315.
I would prefer Brembo, Baer, or Wilwood over all these others brands.

I will call these guys. I hope this is for just the rotors and not the whole brake kit?

And you have installed these and they fit, right?

Thanks for info.

·
Registered
66 Posts
RB said:
I would prefer Brembo, Baer, or Wilwood over all these others brands.

I will call these guys. I hope this is for just the rotors and not the whole brake kit?

And you have installed these and they fit, right?

Thanks for info.
Just Brembo OEM rotors, have them installed on my SVT with no problems.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BlokesSVT said:
Just Brembo OEM rotors, have them installed on my SVT with no problems.
RIGHT ON. Brembo are supreme. I emailed them but haven't heard back yet.

WARNING ABOUT AUTOPARTSWAREHOUSE.COM
I bought EBC rotors from them and then they overcharged me. I told them I was returning the brakes and had filed a complaint with my credit card company. Here is there response. Beware, my take is these guys are slimy.

As a consumer, you have the right to contact your credit card company to dispute charges, however; if you attempt to file a false claim and are in possession of the parts we will be forced to enforce the terms and conditions of this purchase with the credit card company as well as your local authorities, as disputing charges on products that you have received is considered theft.

We will then file a dispute with your credit card company to recover any funds that have been credited to your account. We will provide your credit card company with the Terms and Conditions you agreed to at the point of sale, as well as the proof of delivery to the address you provided at the point of sale. Copies of all e-mail correspondence, including your confirmation and payment accepted e-mails will also be supplied along with the delivery confirmation from the shipping carrier showing that the packages were delivered at the address you provided when you placed your order as well as the delivery confirmation/signature from the shipping carrier proving that you are in possession of the order(s). Once your credit card company receives our dispute, payment will be recovered.

·
Regulator...mount up
3,026 Posts
Can someone post up a link to those Brembos for the SVTF? I've never been able to find them sold separetly from the whole front brake kit. And these brembos are not slotted or cross drilled correct?

I'm actually getting my brake setup this weekend. But I was wondering will the ebc rotors offered through CFM and the hawk HPS be a good daily driving comobo? I don't wanna have my pads eaten up because of the slots and dimples on the ebc's. Should I perhaps go with their greenstuff pads?

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
RB said:
WARNING ABOUT AUTOPARTSWAREHOUSE.COM
I bought EBC rotors from them and then they overcharged me. I told them I was returning the brakes and had filed a complaint with my credit card company. Here is there response. Beware, my take is these guys are slimy.

You should've just denied delivery when they tried to drop them off...now that you've returned them, you're probably screwed because they'll claim they never received them and will still charge you. Sounds like they're a bunch of [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]s...do you still have the inital invoice that they e-mailed you with the lower price? I'd get that printed along with confirmation from whoever you shipped the parts back with that the package has been delivered and be prepared to fax it to your credit card company when you put a stop on the payment.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My front Brembo's were $181.78 for both shipped. Call Brembo, they will give you an authorised dealer, 1-800-325-3994.
They are not drilled or slotted. I have Hawk HPS pads with them and I use my car every week day, no problems and feel I can still outbrake anyone!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Seems like the NY location posted above is pretty good.

They returned my call. THey can order the Brembos and drop ship them. With shipping, out the door is $258.55 for both front and rear.

That is almost $100 less than the EBCs, and I gotta say I believe in Brembos far more than EBC.

Some may say, well no slots or dimples - but that is a good thing. Brembo are the top of the food chain.

I am happy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts