Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my 2003 SVT in 2004 (new) with an extended warranty. It's still got 1 year of factory warranty. After I bought it I saw some info somewhere on problems Ford was having with SVT's...kinda remember something about stalling while at speed? But don't remember the details. When I bring the car to the dealer for inspection stickers and some A/C warranty stuff he asks me if I've had any problems like he expects the thing to go all to he??. Anyway fortunately no problems yet but I've only got 4,500 miles on the car.

So, after 2 years of ownership, I put a set of chome SVT wheels on the car and have gotten bit by the modding bug bad and want some money to by more stuff. I've thought about terminating the extended warranty and getting my money back. I should be able to get a full refund since the car hasn't even gotten close to using up the factory warranty.

Any thoughts on if this would be a wise idea. Have any of you folks had problems with 2003 SVTs?

·
Registered
411 Posts
^^Can you really get a refund on the warrenty?? I didn't think that was at all possible. But shows how much I know I suppose...

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
I've had very few minor problems on my '02 which seems to be the year with the most bugs. Like Artood2s said the clutch seems to be kinda hit or miss with any year model because I've heard of some that didn't last 20,000 miles and then I've heard some that haven't had any troubles yet like me and I'm pushing 45k. Another problem is the thermostat housing sometimes develop a leak in around an o-ring (I had that problem on mine but a cheap fix $15 for a packet of o-rings and it can be done yourself). Another common problem is the DSI clip tends to break but I've not had this problem on mine. It's hard to say what's going to happen with any car down the road so use your own judgement. I'd hate to tell you "sure, go ahead and terminate the warranty and begin modding" and then something bad go wrong.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Not that many problems especially for the kind of car it is. yes, you can get refunds on warranties that are purchased, like a Ford premium Care.

·
Banned
171 Posts
My '02 has 65000 on it and it's my daily driver here in lovely Minnesota all year round, I love it.

I have had it about a year and a half now and so far it's never let me down (knock wood)

I have had a few minor issues (DSI lever, t-stat o-rings) but nothing major and mine is still on it's original clutch.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Here's the things I suffered between 6,000 and 9,000 miles:

Sticky Throttle body (replaced)
Clutch TSB (replaced)
FOUR! valve cover gaskets
One VCT gasket
Loose front bumper cover.
Bum alignment from factory.
Out of balance tires from factory.
Disconnecting shifter cables.
Airbag light.
CEL because of a disconnected MAF
Hanging revs & surging until I got my HIA tune.

Since then it's been pretty good, I'm at 26,000 and now I've only got the clunking rear sway bar bushing issue. Initial quality for our cars was extremely poor but once you get it put together properly, it's not a bad car.

·
Registered
284 Posts
my 02 has about 82k on it...runnin strong as ever. havent had any issues beynd normal maintenence and wear and tear ( tires, new brakes all around, wires, ignition coil etc) thisis easily the most reliable car ive ever owned

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
Here are some of the things I have had problems with...

Cat Bracket (revised in 04)
T-Stat - O ring (I broke the T-Stat DOH!)
Cracked windshield wiper cover (cost like 8 dollars and that was through Steve)
DSI Clip was broken (no big deal, I can't tell a difference)
Driver's side front caliper drags (Anybody know of a TSB on this????)
Horn went out (Replaced with a PIAA)
Hood Latch broke (Replaced with European Key and Grille)
Transmission seals are leaking...(due to clutch TSB)

Other than that it is an excellent car. I don't plan on getting rid of mine...ever.

28,889 miles on mine...

·
Registered
842 Posts
if i purchased the extended 5 year or whatever 100k warranty, can i get a refund on what is left of it? im past the manufacture's warranty, im at 49k

·
Registered
284 Posts
actually now that u mention it...one of the calipers is rubbing on my car...but that will be remedied when i upgrade to the baer 13" kit

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
I have almost 23,000 miles....it will be a year I have had my SVT on the 30th of this month......

SO FAR REPLACED UNDER WARRANTY:

- driver motor mount (I think from my hard 1-2 shifts [;)])
- main gauge cluster had flakes in it from factory
- sunroof deflector flew off one day (plastic tab broke off)

It has been a great car for me....I beat on it pretty much every day......shifts at 7k are normal for me to do on a semi-regular basis.

I have the last '04 3-door, and It feels like they got most all of the kinks out by the time mine was made....

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bryanjw82 said:
if i purchased the extended 5 year or whatever 100k warranty, can i get a refund on what is left of it? im past the manufacture's warranty, im at 49k
I think so. They will probably prorate your refund since your beyond the original factory warranty and therefore actually in the extended warranty period right now.

In the past when I've purchased extended warranties and then sold or traded the car before the warranty period expired I received a partial refund (prorated) because I was actually within the extended warranty. I don't see whay this would be any differentfor you (or me).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased the 5yr/100k warranty when I bought my 04'. It has 36,500ish on it now. So far this is what has has gone wrong with my SVTf.

Clutch Linkage broke ( Replaced with new linkage)
2 OE Conti sports sidewall bubbled (Replaced with tires that dont suck)
Gas cap latch broke (Entire cap replaced with a ZX4 type pressure fit)
Sunroof misaligned and would not autoclose (adjusted)
Complained of the typical surging, (Ford replaced my entire intake ?)
Bearing in the read end causing rotational noise(replaced)
Transmission slippage (Adjusted)
Door handles were sticking, (repaired, recall on that BTW)
Heated seat switch stuck on, (sucked, replaced)
Complained of Ticking noise at idle, was told that is normal operation.
Runs like a top now. /shrug

Basically I am happy I have the extended warranty, but am told that it sticks with me and not the car. I cannot transfer etc. They want to sell a new one to the guy who buys my car after me. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
The only probelm I ever had on mine( I'm talking about I was really worried about that),was,that the stock clutch was slipping pretty bad,30K on the odometer,but the problem was solved by upgrading to a cm stage III,and also the t-stat housing was leaking,but after they had installed the clutch the leaking was gone,I guess the fixed it for me,also the cd player some times it won't take my cds on slot 2,it makes a wired noise.
Other then that I'm pretty happy with my infra red '02 SVTF (to be honest I don't like other focus ZX3 ZTS etc. "SVT" the magic letters)this is the best car I ever had,I just love my lady bug.

·
Registered
238 Posts
i own a 2003 SVT.. i havent experienced TOO many problems, and i had JUST passed 50k miles...

-broken thermostat *hehe, oopsy[:p] *
-some rattling *clutch and cat heat shields*
-poopy stock tune *i finally got YRF0*
-horn sounds like it's dying *cause it 'drank' too much water..*
-driver side engine mount *need a new one*
-valve cover gasket needed to be replaced

.. and now, come to think of it, i guess my brakes are dragging too? that may account for the squeky-ness, hahaha. other than wat i listed, i absolutely love my car! even all the things listed, it was no biggy. it just gave me a reason to work on my car and give her all the love she needs hehe [:D]

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had the clutch TSB and I was in my extended warrenty, they didnt cover any of it and now i'm appealing to Ford. My friend has an 03 and he had the clutch go bad 2 other than that defenitely have them reflash your ecu to stop the bogging out.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Things Replaced and/or attemped dealer fixes:

Blown front struts at 13k (Car still rides crappy over bumps)
Throttle Body
02 Sensor
Catalytic convertor shields rotting away and rattling (still present)
Rear suspension wiggling Attemped to fix by replacing Driver side rear control arm and trainling arm(no none fix and Ford could not care less)
Rear clunking noise I was first told it was that my rear rotors and pads where bad so I paid over 400 bucks for new rotors and pads. Poorly attached rear bumper that appears to looser now so it won't clunk anymore)
Catalitic convertor (new issue 07/28/06)

I will never buy American Again, There is a new problem with this car every other month. I have had it to the dealer 6 times this year already for the above issues (except the front suspension)

But it is fun to drive at readline down a twisty back road and long as I dont hit a bump that causes the car to hop to one side or the other....[

1 - 20 of 25 Posts