Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm curious. I'm about to buy an '03 EAP SVT with a bad engine, needing a complete rebuild.

The guy I'm buying from was nice enough to provide me this site for a rebuild kit for $414 after shipping. http://www.cleggengine.com/ford-2-0l-121-zetec-vin-5-focus-svt-dohc-16v-4l-02-04-engine-rebuild-kits.html

There's also a used SVT engine with 93k miles in BST right now for $380 shipped. I know it might sell before I make a decision, but I'd still like to know if it's worth it to do the rebuild or should I look for an engine?

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,108 Posts
I guess it also depends on how much knowledge you have about engines. Though buying it knowing its bad means you know something. How many miles are on the body of the car?

I would go with the kit just because you know its all new parts on the inside and you can get a good cleaning while its apart. Really depends on how much time you have.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm no mechanic, but I feel like I can do it. I also have friends who could help. The body has 130k on it. Yeah that makes sense, I guess I was just wondering if rebuilt engines last just as long, but I guess that all would depend on the condition of the engine before it was rebuilt, how good the parts are, etc. (I suppose I'm answering my own question here, lol.) I'm in no rush, as I've got my ZX3 to drive already. Planning on fixing this one up and driving it instead

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I'm no mechanic, but I feel like I can do it. I also have friends who could help. The body has 130k on it. Yeah that makes sense, I guess I was just wondering if rebuilt engines last just as long, but I guess that all would depend on the condition of the engine before it was rebuilt, how good the parts are, etc. (I suppose I'm answering my own question here, lol.) I'm in no rush, as I've got my ZX3 to drive already. Planning on fixing this one up and driving it instead
Have you figured out whats wrong w/ the motor? t/b went or what? I've done both ways= used motor & redo the motor.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
he said that the timing belt and head gasket need to be redone, but he bought the car in the same condition it is in now, he wanted to fix it up, but never did.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
buying the whole car? you plan on parting it out and keeping the motor? or getting the whole car working again?

I would buy the whole car and if you just want the motor then you will be able to recover costs by parting out (although we hate to see the SVT's getting parted out...)

just note that rebuilding the motor may cost more than first expected as you find things that need to be replaced or brake during your repair.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
IS IT RUNNING???

If it's not, you can prob. plan on needing valves/head rebuilt - the "needs a timing belt repl." points that way....

Machine shop work after disassembly just to know what options needed for that rebuild kit BTW, it's NOT just bolting in new parts to do a rebuild.

Rebuilding it is much better in the long run, as long as you have the time avail. for the process spending more time/$ on that would pay off in longevity.

·
Registered
81 Posts
To play the other side here, these are easily 200k mile plus engines with regular maintenance, so putting in a used one with under 100k should get you where you want to go. Just do a new timing belt before install and you could be driving it in a weekend. THEN you can rebuild your old engine and when finished decide which to run and which to sell.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If it is broken timing belt then expect to pay out the nose for the valves, 30ish for the intake and 45ish for the exhaust and that is per valve.

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
There are bad motors that are rebuildable, and then there are those that are not. I'd be asking if the engine ever overheated to like crack block or other. Rebuild kit is often only the bare start of a major upset when it does not go the way one wants and often it doesn't.

·
Trump 2016
12,990 Posts
Personally wouldnt waste my time with used because it could last 2 days or 10 years. Plus all the work involved. I would do rebuild.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Needing Help with engine rebuild

I have a 2002 Focus SVT that the timing belt went out in. The head is off and there is a hole in one of the pistons. I am looking to either rebuild or buy a used engine. I can't seem to find a rebuild kit or engine. Please help.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
I have a 2002 Focus SVT that the timing belt went out in. The head is off and there is a hole in one of the pistons. I am looking to either rebuild or buy a used engine. I can't seem to find a rebuild kit or engine. Please help.
what are you asking help for? Where to buy a piston? are you wanting a full overhaul kit?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts