Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all....I was getting ready to swap out my rotors and pads. I ordered a set of centric rotors. I found it odd that the rear rotors are black even on the friction surface, and the front have the usual swirl finish that all rotors have on the fricton surface. I thought that was to help the pad break in. Did you do anything to prep this rear rotor that is solid black to be installed on the car? Thanks.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Did you do anything to prep this rear rotor that is solid black to be installed on the car?
Nope.
Well, I did make sure they were clean by wiping them down with spray on brake cleaner, but that was it.
Slapped em on with some Hawk HPS, and everything was good to go.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Rust and corrosion resistance. The back on the contact area will wear off but the rest coated. This keeps them looking new, and might be useful if you live in a place with the right type of weather, or for a car that spends a lot of time parked. Brakes somewhat clean themselves, but only when you use them.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Why are they black? Like painted black? Whats the deal.
The entire rotor is e-coated before the rotor surfaces are machined. e-coating is a reasonably inexpensive way of painting a part to reduce rust. It is not, however, rust proof. Its a "very thin" coating put on by dipping the part and then baking it. Naturally, since the rotor surfaces are still raw metal, they will have a tendency to rust on any non-swepted surface.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts