Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just filled up with ARCO gas and got out the street and it started sputtering and cutting out. Limp it to side of the road and couldn't get it started. Towed it home and hope to work on it this weekend. My first thought was timing belt since its hitting 120k but then it sounded mor like fuel pump not working. Anyone has had this happen and whats the best way to check if fuel pump is working> Your opinion matters.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat

Better place for most repair questions.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is it a reset button or monentary switch for the fuel pump? behind passenger kick panel?

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
Make the world very quiet and turn key on and listen carefully for the two second or so fuel pump spinup that occurs EVERY TIME you turn the key on. Pump is roughly under the back seat cushion, pull it to hear easier if needed. If you do not hear the pump come on and then shut off the pump is most likely the issue. The switch picced earlier can trip if you hit a curb or other to flip it off, it kills the fuel pump in the shock of an accident. Push the reset to turn pump back on.

Pump can die suddenly like that, you describe mine dying in summer perfectly.

If belt then the more you spin the engine the more parts you'll likely bend. Fuel pump test only requires turning key on, not spinning engine though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good tp know. my mechanic scope should be able to tell me if pump works or not. is the svt engine interference type?

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Yes it is. This is why we stress having the timing belt done at 60-80k mi like every other car manufacturer that has interference motors recommend. In the book that comes with the car it says 120k mi but that is for the regular zetec not the SVT.

·
Registered
2003 Focus SVT Turbo
196 Posts
Both are fuel related, one is for the fuel pump, the other is for the fuel rail pressure. Obviously start with the fuel pump first, check the fuse and the inertia switch.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
seems to be fuel pump problem. just need to find a way to empty the tank before i disconnect the fill tube hose. hose doese not go thru thw tank gets stuck somewhere and cannt siphon the gas out. tomorrow will be another day. need to research this problem more. thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
did try a working fuel pressure module and did not fix the problem. got the fuel out from pulling out the filler tube rubber hose carefully as it was full, then siphon out 6g out before i dropped the tank. Next weekend will be fuel pump replacement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts