Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it true that u ALWAYS have to use premium fuel?

if so what octane?

and what will happen if u dont use premium?

thanks

·
Turbo!!!!
5,797 Posts
Yes , 91 and above , runs like ass until you eventually destroy it. your welcome

·
FF Affiliate
31,095 Posts
It is best to run 93 if you can get it and afford it , 91 can be used but i would run the crap out of it with 91 all the time , You can even get a 87 octane tune done and run 87

Tom

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but if i get the tune to 87 octane, would the performance suffer?

also...Tom...what do u mean run the crap out of it with 91? will the engine get wrecked?

·
Bexar County
3,360 Posts
Stick with premium if you can afford it. Read the manual and the little message adjacent your fuel gauge on your cluster :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
in other words...don't be going all out and shifting at 7,000RPM all the time with cheap gas.......

my car has had nothing below 92 in it....I run it hard sometimes. better to be safer than to be sorry.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Do NOT use anything below 91!
I caused some damage to my engine the one time I put it in to see if I could get away with it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I run 89 day to day , but if im driving hard or for a trip up thru the mountins i run 91 . My friend at Ford , he did the testing and crap on the SVT in Detroit . He said its just fine but advised me agains 87.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
You really should stick with premium fuel w/no less than 91 octane. Our engines are high-compression engines (10:1 IIRC) and anything lower in octane can cause detonation (especially under hard acceleration) which can cause severe damage. As stated above, better safe than sorry.

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
10.2:1 i will NEVER use anything lower than 93 i don't care how much gas prices rise. i get 30 mpg anyway. i'd rather have a good running engine than having one with problems just because i wanted to pay 10 cents a gallon less for gas.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks everyone...by the way...i am looking to buy my first car and make it a SVT Focus so im just checking up on everything before i take the plunge!

·
Registered
124 Posts
i ran cheap gas for awhile and i noticed that my car was starting to run like crap so when i went to change the spark plugs i found that number 2 cylinder plug electrode was burnt gone!!! so in short dont use cheap gas... fortunitly it didnt hurt anything on my motor but it could have!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts