Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off this only happens when the car is cold. (socal cold, not im buried under 50 feet of snow cold) When I start it, I have the car in neutral. immediately after starting the car revs up to around 1500 RPM then drops down to like 700 RPM and starts sputtering. I also notice while its sputtering that the battery indicator light comes on. After It sits for a min or so it stops sputtering and the battery light goes off. Now it doesn't happen all the time, id say every 3 out of 5 times but still...

Is this a common problem with the SVT? I have read other posts about people having cold start problems, but none had a fix.

Also, I have had it happen when i was rolling to a stop with the car in neutral (I think once or twice)

I dont even have 1000 miles on it yet....

Any Ideas?

-Kris

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I haven't experienced anything like that. If I did, I'd be taking it in for a warranty check cuz thats why I bought a new car. Have you had the reflash yet? Maybe that would help.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have the same problem and I can't figure out what the hell, I actually think it is the flywheel and the starter but I have no idea. After I got synthetic oil put in it revs to 1500rpms and stays there till the oil heats up. The only other reason I can think of is the flywheel is loose and creating revs. It has been a problem with others.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I dont know what the problem might be but if its cause of the cold you might want to think about a block heater if you live in an area were its always cold.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info, im gonna call the dealer tomorrow and get them to look at it. Ill post back after the visit and let everyone know what was wrong.

-Kris

·
Registered
75 Posts
yeah i have a zx3 and it does the same thing never really worried about it. it started doing it after about 500 miles or so and still does it with 17k. let us know what the dealer says if you take it there.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I finally called the service dept today and im scheduled to go in and have them check it out this Friday, so as soon as I get back from there I will post an update.

As far as over the phone the service guy said it could be an alternator problem or battery.
In my opinion I think he is wrong and its something else. I hope to know for sure on Friday.

-Kris

I hope they don't try and blame it on my amp that i installed as I was having this problem before i had the amp.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
It could be one of those things (alternator or battery) but it's probably just an SVT in need of the reflash. When you go to the dealer, just tell them the symptoms, ask them to check it out - don't be Mr. Know-it-all and tell them what you want them to do. I made that mistake. [:I]

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sounds like the exact problem I had with my 02 svtf. Brought it to the dealer and had the intake rudder clamps replaced as well as a reflash and car idles much smoother now [thumb].

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I had the same issues with my SVTF, after the YRF0 things settled down.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You're all right. The loose intake clamps are a common problem with poor idle, and the YRFO reflash should fix the apparent electrical glitches right up. Do a search on the YRFO history - there is quite a list of things it's supposd to correct. Then after you have it done, drive the car for a week before you worry about how successful it was - the car has to re-learn after the reflash. We had all sorts of little problems, and most were fixed with the YRFO. We still have a cold start reluctance but it doesn't actually FAIL to start, just cranks a bit too long sometimes. We now have more than 40,000 miles on the car, and aside from repeated trips for things that were ultimately fixed by YRFO (dealer had no clue but the SVT folks are great) the only real problem we had with the car was a failed fuel pump at 30k miles.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I sometymes have the same/similar problem- the idle will fluctuaite between 1000rpm to 2000, I figured it was the CAI because it stops after a couple of min at idle and it does not do it if it is 50* +. Could it just be the CAI or should I have it looked at?

·
Registered
80 Posts
We had quite an idle fluctuation before the reflash. We still have a very high idle (up to 3000 rpm!) when the engine is cold, but we got used to it... The CAI shouldn't cause the fluctuation - it you haven't had YRFO done that's probably what you need. But the manifold clamps could be the problem too.

·
Registered
425 Posts
It's the latest PCM (ECU) flash update for the Focus SVTF............Just make a list of your ailments and take it to the dealer with you. Tell the service manager you were told by the guys you talked to at SVT that the symptoms your car has match the known symptoms for performing the YRFO update.

-Later

·
Registered
18 Posts
My wife's '03 SVT did the same thing, even stalled a couple of times, which concerned me. When cold, it idled like a car from the 60's with a hot cam. Anyway, I had it re-flashed and all the cold-start, surging, etc. went away. Unfortunately, she was recently stopped at a light, behind an SUV, when a full-size van doing 45+ mph struck her. She got a whiplash, but walked away. The car is toast. Anyone know where I can find a low-mile '03 5-door to replace it with?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts