Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so the past 2 days, my svt feels alot slower in first gear... i used to have where once i hit around 3000 rpms it would really pick up, but now it just feels slow all the way through, i just replaced the fuel filter and also my shifter cables are very stiff but i dont think that would relate... would it? what else can it be?

i have an sri and it is hot here, but it was hotter weeks ago and the car was fine.... any input is much appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
624 Posts
I would check this out first. You might as well plan on replacing it so that you know when it was done and you don't wait until it is too late

The other things I would check are the cat and the coil/wires

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know the cat is good, but ya i gota check the coil and wires, the spark plugs are new, and ya ill take a look at the belt, thanks alot. i appreciate it

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
It could simply be fuel, but I would guess along the lines of air filter if you're not getting any codes. A timing belt is a good explanation for a loss in power. Don't wait too long on that one if that is it- SVTs are interference engines.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It could simply be fuel, but I would guess along the lines of air filter if you're not getting any codes. A timing belt is a good explanation for a loss in power. Don't wait too long on that one if that is it- SVTs are interference engines.
what do you mean by interference engines?

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
^^ Yup ... I have done that once ... not a fun experience to go through.

But fun to put back together ... [hihi]

-Ray-

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yep, change that timing belt. I just spent over $1000 on parts alone. It could be the reason you're losing power. It could be air filter, fuel filter, plug wires, and/or bad fuel. Check your fuel pressure. Run some quality injector cleaner through your system. Be systematic about it. Do one thing at a time and then take it for a test drive.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok thanks alot, what should i look for as far as wear goes for the belt? cracks?, also the fuel filter is brand new so it cant be that, and the filter on my sri is new too, how do i run the injector cleaner through?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
ok thanks alot, what should i look for as far as wear goes for the belt? cracks?, also the fuel filter is brand new so it cant be that, and the filter on my sri is new too, how do i run the injector cleaner through?
Did you oil it? If there is too much oil on the filter it can suck in and foul up the readings on your MAF, making it run like poop.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Alright then on the belt look for anything that looks like a crack or for stretch. If if feels spongy or looks cruddy, better safe than grenaded.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My timing belt looked great when I took the top cover off, but when I removed the bottom cover there was about 7" worth of teeth/ribs missing.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Looks like you have 2002 SVT, they had an issue with the intake runner control vavle breaking off, mine did the same thing,(i have about 25000 miles on it) around 3000 RPM it will need to switch to the long runner, if the control vavle don't open it will have less power.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Looks like you have 2002 SVT, they had an issue with the intake runner control vavle breaking off, mine did the same thing,(i have about 25000 miles on it) around 3000 RPM it will need to switch to the long runner, if the control vavle don't open it will have less power.
wheres this valve? and how can i check if its broken?

* edit... are we talking about the actuator thing, with the circuit board and motor in it?

like i have the symptoms such as low end power loss and worse gas mileage... but no cel...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts