Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I just bought the svt with a bad motor went online and had one shipped with 85k on it got it back ran like crap changed plugs with E3s bad mistake did some reading and now have copper plugs gaps at .60 ran better but still popping threw the intake it was off one tooth on timing so i brought it to a shop to get done. then i changed the vct and the valve cover gasket now i brought it to a good friend of mine who was a master tech a a lot of dealerships and had been around for a long time with cars. he checked the timing said it was dead on but i had a hose clamp on my pcv the boot broke and i put a heater hose on it and used the clamp to keep it from blocking the air. I rigged up some vacume lines and put a 90 degree bend on the pcv here is were im at now. When the car is cold (morning work drives) Car has good power its hard to start and the idol goes to like 3 grand then goes back down. Then about 10-15 mins into my drive when the car gets to normal temp it starts to dog down bad like half the power? The motor sounds hissy? like a vacuum leak but when i spray staring fluid around the evap lines and everywere else the idol don’t go up [dunno].

I have a smoke tester and a snap-on solus scanner if this helps any one if they want me to run any type of test on the car. I have almost a full shop to be honest. any help will be much appreciated

codes are p1383?

·
Registered
133 Posts
motor bog.

Hey there. Just a thought here. check your cat. pull ur front o2 out and see if it drives any better. I just finished working on a ranger that had a similar bogging issue. after ten to fifteen minutes it would bog down and make a hissing noise. turns out the cat. converter would expand enough to make a broken piece of converter to turn 90 degrees and clog the exhaust flow. the hissing was the exhaust going back up through the egr valve.

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
CEL code p1383 is cam over retarded meaning your cam timing isnt right and more then likelt off enough where the VCT stops trying to correct the issue and shuts down , correct the cam timing and go from there , more then likely wasnt off a tooth and they didnt have the VCT right

Tom

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CEL code p1383 is cam over retarded meaning your cam timing isnt right and more then likelt off enough where the VCT stops trying to correct the issue and shuts down , correct the cam timing and go from there , more then likely wasnt off a tooth and they didnt have the VCT right

Tom
But it runs stong when its cold? it dosent missfire at all thats why i think the timing is ok i dont think it would have power then not if it was off i had it checked twice by 2 diffrent shops? just when the coolent gets to normal running temp it runs slower

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hey there. Just a thought here. check your cat. pull ur front o2 out and see if it drives any better. I just finished working on a ranger that had a similar bogging issue. after ten to fifteen minutes it would bog down and make a hissing noise. turns out the cat. converter would expand enough to make a broken piece of converter to turn 90 degrees and clog the exhaust flow. the hissing was the exhaust going back up through the egr valve.
I have the same exact issue with my SVTF cat, the back half of the core broke off, rotated 90 degrees and got hung up on the rear O2 sensor choking my exhaust flow. Had to replace it with a RT HFC.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts