Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Sooooooooooo EURO
14,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been slowly building up parts for a turbo install next spring/summer right now i've got the 2k intake manifold, bbk throttle body, rs exhaust manifold and down pipe, cxracing FMIC and an xcal2. the last really big thing i need to purchase is the turbo, but what i'm trying to decide is wether i want to run low boost like 8-10 psi on stock internals or if i want to go with a built bottom end and run something like 12-15 psi. this is my daily driver and i'm still in college so this wont be a 350hp 25psi monster just something more fun than stock [:eek:)]
the biggest contributing factor to this is cost.
it would be much cheaper for me to buy a smaller turbo and run low boost than it would for me to build the bottom end and buy a big turbo. however over the last couple weeks of researching built blocks for the focus i've discovered that some people are using oem svt pistons and rods as a in between build for something thats more boost than stock internals but not anything ridiculous like the guys running 350+ hp are doing.
could anybody give me more info on running stock svt stuff?
so far i know that:
svt rods/pistons are the same as stock compression
svt rods/pistons would be much cheaper than eagle, probe etc

what i'd like to know:
is it going to be cheaper to get svt rods/pistons installed vs something else? i.e. less work less machining etc?
is there anything else i should consider buying as far as internal parts go besides rods/pistons?

like i said this would be for more of a 250-300hp daily driver it doesnt have to hold 50psi

thanks for taking the time to read all this and help me out!

·
FF Affiliate
30,665 Posts
I wouldnt waste the time of money to install the SVT parts the SVT pistons are made of the same thing that the ZX3 is cast but the rods are better , install eagle rods and forged pistons

If your just going to run less then 15psi then the stock engine will run 12psi safely for a very long long time

Tom

·
Sooooooooooo EURO
14,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alrighty so for 12psi (roughly 230-240hp) i should be fine with stock internals?
then anything higher i should do forged parts correct?

·
Sooooooooooo EURO
14,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what if i run svt rods and forged pistons? would that be a viable solution or will i be better off spending a couple hundred more on eagle rods?

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
Just get a safe tune for 12psi on your stock block and save up for built internals

·
Focus Factor
3,617 Posts
If you have the engine apart it will be cheaper in the long run to put in the good stuff. This is one of those areas where you may save a little money now but will spend twice as much later redoing it! From experience do it right the first time!

·
Sooooooooooo EURO
14,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
from what i understand the svt and regular zetec have the same pistons so in theory they should fit but why? almost any time you can find svt rods they come with pistons as well.......

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
You can NOT use SVT pistons on Zetec rods... SVT pistons only fit SVT rods.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Hey, just wanted to revive this thrad a little. I want to go back to the conversation about boost on the stock internals.

I would like to see around 250HP on stock internals. I think I would be commiting financial suicide right now if I did a complete rebuild with forged internals.

My questions is this, to run 10 or 12 psi safe should I buy an oversized intercooler or a NX express fogger kit for the intercooler to keep things cool at the track?

If I were to build, I would NOT want my motor to blow. I would replace front and main seals, head gasket, ARP head bolts, new stage 3 or 4 clutch masters clutch and I have heard that the connecting rod bolts can be replaced and should be to give the bottom end more life. Maybe even replace the main engine bearings. I have 60,000 on the motor now, I probably will have 70,000 by the time I boost. Ths car will not be at the track very often, more for show and for fun.

Any help? any suggestions?
Thanks guys. I know we've got some good motor heads in this forum!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Obviously I want enough boost to hear that whoosh on the upshift. lol, everyone wants that. From what I've heard you don't get that with low boost (10psi) is this true or is that just depend on your blow-off valve? Thanks again

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I run a 7x3x18 core on my intercooler and it still has a little room to grow.... there really is NO need for some of these stupidly huge intercoolers on Foci other than to make sure everyone sees that you have an intercooler.

You can run 12psi fairly safely on stock internals and that should put you in the 240wtq/whp range.

·
FF Affiliate
30,665 Posts
Hey, just wanted to revive this thrad a little. I want to go back to the conversation about boost on the stock internals.

I would like to see around 250HP on stock internals. I think I would be commiting financial suicide right now if I did a complete rebuild with forged internals.

My questions is this, to run 10 or 12 psi safe should I buy an oversized intercooler or a NX express fogger kit for the intercooler to keep things cool at the track?

If I were to build, I would NOT want my motor to blow. I would replace front and main seals, head gasket, ARP head bolts, new stage 3 or 4 clutch masters clutch and I have heard that the connecting rod bolts can be replaced and should be to give the bottom end more life. Maybe even replace the main engine bearings. I have 60,000 on the motor now, I probably will have 70,000 by the time I boost. Ths car will not be at the track very often, more for show and for fun.

Any help? any suggestions?
Thanks guys. I know we've got some good motor heads in this forum!
If 250 is your goal then I wouldnt build the engine , Just clutch when it goes out and add a Diff/LSD , good gauges and boost controller and let her eat

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
30,665 Posts
Obviously I want enough boost to hear that whoosh on the upshift. lol, everyone wants that. From what I've heard you don't get that with low boost (10psi) is this true or is that just depend on your blow-off valve? Thanks again
10psi will give you some noise , and yes it depends a lot on what BOV you use , I dont like the sound so I adjust mine quiet

Tom

·
Registered
774 Posts
Thanks Tom! thanks Orange! Yeah, I def. love the blow-off sound- everything sounds good. The time will come soon for me to smoke a few of the doubters and haters out there. Really I just love my car and want to go to shows in it, have it be fast and have it look hot. Something I want to ride in, something the girls want to be seen in. Just have fun.

·
Registered
774 Posts
So whats your take on the connecting rod bolt replacement and blue-printing the stock internals/adding new bearings? would this be worth it? I could not deck the head, I have absolutely no experience or tools for that, so if its straight-ish then whatever. I would want to replace the head gasket and the front main seal and rear seal.

I would want to try to get some good reliablitity out of the car after spending the cash to turbo.

What do you think?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts