Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a 17 year old teen and I have a 2004 focus svt. I like in south florida and I want to bring upgrades to my car. I do not have the budget to put in a turbo or supercharger, but I would like to give my car more power on the low end. The person I bought it from put what looks to be a short ram system in the car. Other than that the car is stock. It does have the euro package though. I heard that a cold air intake is better than a short ram system. Is this true? What other not too expensive upgrades could I do to the engine to make it better, especially on the low-end power side?

·
Registered
152 Posts
...hmm. 'it depends on what your budget is'. you should throw out some numbers'. people might start giving you lots of feedback'. From what I've read, probably the first good performance upgrade would be a custom ECU tune via the DiabloSport flasher device, or the SCT/X-Calibrator units (I would recommend 'sending in for a tune by FocusSport in California). 'hope this helps...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, I want to right now spend about 500 right now, so I hoped to get some good recomindations. One of my main questions was is a cold air intake better than a short ram system, and if so, which one should I get? I kind of want that to be my first upgrade.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Like he said, a budget would help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like I said, at this time I want to spend about 500.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You can get a tune for 500, one of the best things to do to the car. Helps driveablity and power throughout the whole powerband. I also noticed a bump in low end power with an underdrive pulley. Intakes don't really seem to do much for power IMO.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a rough idea of what I am going to put into my car right now. This includes
1. a new underdrive pully- probably from focussport
2. Cold Air Intake- From AEM or K&N
3. New Spark Plug Wires- Most likley from FocusSport

Does anyone have any idea how my car should run after this?

·
Registered
137 Posts
You'll see little if any difference from the CAI and the new plug wires. I would start with a tune. This is by far the best thing you can do short of FI.

Gary

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The difference in intakes will be negligable while you're still NA....

If i were you i'd get a Tune from turbo tom. try the xcal tune so that you have more support. that and a short throw shifter and a rear engine mount.

then save up for a high flow cat

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey whats up man I am kinda in the same boat as you are on the budget. I have an 02 SVT and I noticed the biggest difference in my car with the FRPP STS and VF Rear mount. those can be found for under or about $200. I also have a AEM CAI and a ORP. I think if I had a tune I could take better advantage of my CAI and ORP. I am working on that now. I have notice if you watch the for sale forums you can find good deals to help stay in the budget.

Rideout

Rideout

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
I have the Diablo Predator tunes for 350.00 , There is no better tune on the market

I would do a tune , then a ORP if you can get away with that in your area , Plug wires will do nothing for performance

The UDP is another thing that wont deliver HP/TQ , Tune first it will feel like a new Focus

Contact CFM for your other parts there a sponsor here and much better people to deal with then your other choise and there right in your area ,

Tom

·
Registered
762 Posts
I second getting a tune from [email protected] Power. An ORP opens up the whole powerband noticeably. Adding an MSD coil pack and FRPP plug wires helped with throttle response and my car ran smoother, but didn't provide any power increase. The Esslinger udp also helped throttle response. Removing the counter weight on the shift linkage helps free up the shifter. A rear motor mount from VF gives the car a more solid feel and a short throw shifter from Ford Racing is a great mod. There are a number of little things that can be done.

The best bang for buck mod is still a tune and Tom pretty much makes the best tunes for the Focus.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Get the tune from Tom, it's a deal at $350. Then get a short shifter and the polypro... bushings for your rear mount. I wouldn't waste the money on the wires. I had an AEM CAI, I went back to stock...it's a good setup.

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
TUNE TUNE TUNE!

this is an absolute must have mod!

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
I have said this over and over and some on here argue with me about getting a tune "before" the otehr things. Maybe this will show all those that the tune should be first.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Like everyone is saying, get the tune first. Then you can go from there...

·
Registered
404 Posts
I am trying a tune, just have not got it in yet arrrgggggg.(still waiting) Spend your 500 on a tune, just get one that does not take 60 days

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
well, u should try weight reduction. it'll actually help with milage not to mention all around performance. if gas is really a problem then id go for something like the centerline wheels. forged 17" rims at about 14 lbs a pop. with good tires these will be a wonderful performance enhancement. couple that with takin out the back seat, spare, and hatch carpet will make for a nice weight savings. if you really go crazy you might be able to get a motorcycle battery and save another 25 lbs. ;) GOOD LUCK!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts