101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
1. FSWerks (Randy)
2. SCT Livewire
3. $499 w/ tune.
4. I've had the tune since Feb.
5. I love the Tune it runs great with it. A noticeable difference in power and I raised the rev limit to my liking 7.8k.. which I hardly go that high. Also RPM idle is 1k for my all three motor mounts to help with vibration.
6. I ordered a few things from Randy and Matt one of his employees at FSWerks.. I was greatly impressed with the asstiance during the transaction and all the information that was provided.
7. No Dyno's yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
1. Toms Tune
2. SCT xCal
3. $150 for tune, $120 for SCT (eBay)
4. Since Feb, 2013
5. After 7 tune files, i found the best one for my SVT. Not everyone has the same setup and not every SVT runs the same, but this tune works best in my SVT. Low end pickup is much better over stock and the DSI kicks in sooner and gives you better torque at lower RPMs. I could never drive my SVT on stock tune ever again...
6. Tom is helpful and understanding, and i'm sure he has plenty of others to tune so keeping that in mind, he's pretty good with the SVTs. I'll tune my Turbo SVT with him too.
7. No dyno yet.

·
Registered
519 Posts
1. Toms Tune
2. SCT xCal
3. $150 for tune, $120 for SCT (eBay)
4. Since Feb, 2013
5. After 7 tune files, i found the best one for my SVT. Not everyone has the same setup and not every SVT runs the same, but this tune works best in my SVT. Low end pickup is much better over stock and the DSI kicks in sooner and gives you better torque at lower RPMs. I could never drive my SVT on stock tune ever again...
6. Tom is helpful and understanding, and i'm sure he has plenty of others to tune so keeping that in mind, he's pretty good with the SVTs. I'll tune my Turbo SVT with him too.
7. No dyno yet.
Does your tune have a specific file name/number or is it custom just for your car?

·
Registered
25 Posts
1. Turbo Tom
2. SCT Xcal3
3. $419
4. 9 Months
5. The install was intimidating at first, but was alot easier then I thought it would be. Torque comes sooner, much more responsive, 2-3mpg boost. I noticed a big difference in responsiveness as I pulled out of my driveway. By far the best mod for an SVT, or really any car.
6. Tom was very helpful over the phone and was able to answer any questions I had. He's very knowledgeable and is willing to help you. Shipping was sluggish, taking 12 days for my Xcal3 to arrive. I live in SE Michigan.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Should have been the first thing I ever did...

1. Turbo Tom (Focus-Power)
2. SCT XCal 3
3. $150, acquired the XCal 3 seperately
4. 1 Week
5. Read the process on the website and here. I'm not a stranger to using a ODB II scanner, but the XCal has its quirks. Initially I was going to use an XCal 2, but the unit was having some issues, so I got the 3 and went from there. I was worried that it would have issues loading/flashing, but I had no issues at all. Keep in mind, flashing the car takes about 10 minutes.

Differences in the car : Without having much done to my SVT, I can say that the immediate difference in low and mid range power is very noticeable. I can leave the car in 4th or 5th and not be itching to hit 2nd or 3rd for passing. The higher rev limit is nice, allows the car to stay in the powerband longer. Taking off from a stop in 1st no longer has any bog. Mileage is better, but I haven't gone through an entire tank of gas yet. Looking like I'll gain at least 2 mpg in mixed driving conditions (and I have a heavy right foot...)

Issues : None to speak of. The car just runs and feels better.

Datalogging : just call Tom, he can set you up real quick. Speaking of...

6. I've heard both sides of the fence when it comes to tuning. When it came down to picking someone, I went with a recommendation from an experienced local SVT owner. Tom was always able to get back to me within a few hours (even with some personal business going on in his side of things) and he always gets back to you in whatever method you specify. I spoke with him several times on the phone to get datalogging setup and my experience was a good one. When I start seeking boost, I already know where I'm going to go.

Tom will make recommendations on your setup too - but he isn't overbearing about it.

If you do one thing to your SVT, let it be this. [twothumbs]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Toms tune
Sct x call
400$
Received product quick and had it loaded in car couple of days after it showed up
First impressions idle drops very quick after start huge notice in power after 3k rpm where before it was around 4500. No need to down shift to pass or go up steep hills. I have also noticed that I can slow down to 1500 rpm in 5th gear and just tap back on the gas and take right off again where as before I would stall on my first catalog he said my car looked really good off base tune he wrote me a second tune that I think was a Lil better than base have not data logged since then deffinatly a good product well worth it. Keep in mind the more mods you have the better the tune results will be Tom has always answer phone for me or calls back quick he is busy with other work and customers so relax if it takes him a bit to get back to you. I am going turbo and will be continuing to turn with him next month or June when project is finished and funds are lined up

·
Registered
10 Posts
New around these parts. I would love to get a tune. All stock minus cai. I've been reading in here for weeks as a non member but I joined the day I got my Red 5 door SVTF. What I am seeing is that Tom's tune is the best money can buy. Who is this Tom and how can I reach him? Also what would be the cheapest option for tuning? Saw an SKL chip on Amazon but considering its $50 and has no reviews I assume it's a scam. Also how do I change my profile picture?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Can anyone tell me the difference between a xcal3 and xcal4? Other than the xcal4 is newer?

·
FF Affiliate
30,630 Posts
xcal 4 in newer LOL , smaller , if you go to www.sctflash.com it will tell you everything

If your looking for a tuner and checking prices go with the one that cost less , they both do a good job loading tune and datalogging

If you buy the flasher from me you get a full custom tune , I am the only focus tuner offer custom tunes and free tune updates as you add more NA mods

Tom

·
Registered
38 Posts
1. Tom's tune, focus-power.com

2. SCT X-Cal 4

3. ~$460

4. I have had the tune for about a month

5. The power delivery and feel of the car is immediately changed after installing the tune. It takes about 10 minutes or so to update the tune every time, and it takes a little longer the very first time because it is storing the stock map. Datalogging is also quite easy and is as simple as pushing a few buttons. I also did not have to worry about TC because my car came without it. There is gobs more down low power and no more bogging. The car also seems to pull like a freight train up top as well, very impressed. I have also seen a boost in mpgs. I was getting close to 34mpgs on a round trip from Cincinnati to Chicago and back. There is definitely enough power to lose some traction when starting off if giving it too much gas. The idle also seems to be much smoother on the car. I feel like I could take my friend in his new to him prelude :p. When the car gets to around 5k rpm hold on lol, and it pulls hard all the way to redline, which is easily north of 7k. The exhaust also sounded a little different, but I can't quite put a finger on it to really describe, although the exhaust seems to pop a little less when engine braking, downshifting, etc. Overall, I am very impressed, and this is a must have mod for anyone with an SVTF. It is almost a different car, it unleashed the beast!

6. Tom was excellent throughout the whole entire process. My car was being difficult and an o2 sensor went out as well as the valve cover gasket, so I had to fix those issues with the help/guidance of Tom. He has sent me 4 or 5 tune updates to really get the car running right, and I will likely need more as I may get a throttle body upgrade. He would even get back by email sometimes after midnight, and he is always quick to respond. He is great to deal with, and I would go to him for any tuning needs. Shipping only took 3-4 days, and I am overall very pleased and satisfied.

7. I have no dyno yet, but hopefully someday soon.

·
Registered
53 Posts
1. Tom's Tune Focus-Power
2. SCT X4
3. 462 Big ones
4. One. Day. (will edit as it goes on longer)
5. Install was rather simple, a few hiccups, but Tom was great and the set-up was done within the hour. It feels like a whole new car, and I haven't even datalogged anything yet! Can't wait to see how the tunes will get better and better!
6. Shipping took 5 days, Monday>Friday, but I certainly wasn't rushed. Tom was professional, and very quick. After a small hiccup with the Derive updater, (a quick reinstall fixed the issue) it worked beautifully, and I'm on the road!
7. Nope, no Dynos. Maybe someday? Probably no real hp or torque gains anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
1. Tom's Tune, focus-power.com

2. SCT X4

3. $462

4. I've had Tom's tune service for one year.

5. The computer software and tune were pretty easy to install. Even with very few modifications, the tune made the SVT much more responsive and fun to drive (how it should have come from the factory). There is a noticeable improvement with every tune. The biggest difference is with each modification I add. I can usually feel a small difference just after installing/make a mod, but each time I am surprised by how much the next tune from Tom actually helps to bring out the full potential of the mod. If you’ve made mods to your car but haven’t had a tune, you are missing out on the real gains that are possible. For fun the other day I put the stock tune back in the SVT and there is a night and day difference. Over the weekend I installed an ORP and air/fuel ratio gauge to help with the next level of tuning. Can’t wait to pull more potential out of the SVT with Tom’s next tune. Of all the mods I’ve made, the $$ for the SCT X4 and tunes are the best money I’ve spent on the SVT so far.

6. Tom has been great throughout the whole process. Any time I have a question he is very quick to respond. And even though I drop datalogs on him during the weekend, he gets the next tune back to me within 48 hours. Several times Tom has suggested changes/mods to the car and each time the car feels better.

7. No dyno yet, but maybe someday I'll drive the 5 hours south to put it on Tom's Dyno.

101 - 115 of 115 Posts