Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced the resistor pack and pigtail, thermostat, flushed the cooling system, replaced a cracked coolant reservoir tank, inspected hoses, and I keep blowing a 50amp bus fuse... the fan(s) will still not come on. And I Know the fan is good because I used a jump wire to the battery and it came right on. I am so at a loss... this is my only car and I need to get to work. So far all I can do is drive with the heater on full blast... which sucks in the California desert in the summer let me tell ya!!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Made you a fresh thread, 5 yr. old one solved by repairs you've done doesn't apply & adding to that won't get much attention.

I'll make the obvious comment that if a 50A fuse blows when the fans try to turn on & the fans/resistor pack wiring has been checked, the problem is likely a short to ground between that fuse & the fans.

We'll see what other suggestions/advice pops up now that this is more visible.

Luck

·
Registered
129 Posts
Made you a fresh thread, 5 yr. old one solved by repairs you've done doesn't apply & adding to that won't get much attention.

I'll make the obvious comment that if a 50A fuse blows when the fans try to turn on & the fans/resistor pack wiring has been checked, the problem is likely a short to ground between that fuse & the fans.

We'll see what other suggestions/advice pops up now that this is more visible.

Luck
The short to ground is a good point, that will usually pop any fuse. I will say though there is a small chance the fan itself may be bad. When you jump it to the batt your basically giving it unlimited amps to run, but when it is fused if it needs more amps then the fuse allows it will blow it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have replaced the resistor pack and pigtail, thermostat, flushed the cooling system, replaced a cracked coolant reservoir tank, inspected hoses, and I keep blowing a 50amp bus fuse... the fan(s) will still not come on. And I Know the fan is good because I used a jump wire to the battery and it came right on. I am so at a loss... this is my only car and I need to get to work. So far all I can do is drive with the heater on full blast... which sucks in the California desert in the summer let me tell ya!!
I realize you said there is a fuse that blowing, but is there also a fan relay under the hood? If so, you may want to put some thought to that. And yeah, checking grounds will be a good thing to do as well. Popping a fuse can def be caused by a poor ground or short.

·
Registered
92 Posts
came across this very old post but hot wire the fan to a toggle switch or stop driving it!

its a heater not a cooling system......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts