Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are our options to buy an ORP? The only place I can even find one is CFM, which is priced a lot higher than I expected for a "straight" pipe.

EDIT: I see there's a Jay Racing one, but their site says they are sold out, and they're priced almost the same. Must be the SVT tax. lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Used or custom make or made pending skills. Nothing is cheap on the Svt.
I'm learning that real quickly. I used to have an Evo and currently have an S2000. You can pick up test pipes for about $100 for each of them.

I've been checking the forums but I can't find any for sale at the moment. I'm thinking about just picking up some mandrel bends and making one. I have to learn to weld soon for another project anyway.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the links, but I'm having a hard time digesting the idea of $225 for a couple flanges, bends, and bungs. I'm not sure if that's considered reasonable or if I'm just being a cheapskate. I'm often accused of being cheap, although I prefer to be called frugal. [deviltail]

I have a long-term turbo fox body project going on that's going to require some welding, so I have to learn sooner or later. I think I'm just going to weld something up. No one's ever gonna see it under the car, so I don't care if it's pretty. [:D]

·
Registered
372 Posts
Honestly there bends are best for the SVT. There isn't a lot of space and stainless cost money. There pipe isn't a rip off. If you have a turbo foxbody you know how much a stainless schl 7 or so downpipe cost alone.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's personal preference - it's more money than I find reasonable for what you get. Most others will probably disagree, but like I said, I'm a cheapskate.. lol. Yes, I know how much stainless costs. I already priced out the components to be in the neighborhood of $100 for me to buy. I think that was for 2.5" OD 16 gauge 304 IIRC. I wonder if I could do it in mild steel and throw some engine or stove paint on it. I like learning new things, and I like to tinker with stuff. I have access to a mig and a chop saw. I think it will be a fun project and save me money at the same time.

Oh and the turbo fox is a LONG way from being done. It doesn't even have the motor in it yet. [eek]

·
Boycott China Focus
4,192 Posts
CFM quality is garbage, I wouldn't buy from them. I went through a few of their pipes with my focus when I had it, terrible quality.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Time to call and makes friends with muffler shop personnel.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Get a couple of flanges & pipe & measure a few times & have at it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CFM quality is garbage, I wouldn't buy from them. I went through a few of their pipes with my focus when I had it, terrible quality.
Now that you mention it, I think I did come across a couple threads about them breaking. That makes the decision even easier. [:p]

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Now that you mention it, I think I did come across a couple threads about them breaking. That makes the decision even easier. [:p]
I'd gather the breakage is from the motor rocking around. I'd do at least a dogbone & dsm, if not a psm too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd gather the breakage is from the motor rocking around. I'd do at least a dogbone & dsm, if not a psm too.
That's a good point. My dsm is shot, and I have to do the timing belt soon. I might as well just replace all three with poly while I'm at it. I don't care about vibration, and I love feeling more connected with the car and road.

I'm going to tackle the ORP myself. I have a local tire and muffler shop that I like, but if I'm going to pay them to build it, I might as well just buy one. I'm pretty busy right now with night college classes, so it might have to wait until the winter break. Maybe I'll document it so everyone can laugh at my welds. lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts