Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you other SVT drivers noticed a small sound like a marble or something rolling around in your dash when you turn the key on and off?? is it just the motor thats moving the needles?? mine is getting kinda noisey sounds like something spins like a lil fan.....when i turn my off after a drive it makes this sound like its whinding down then like a splash hahahaha im totally baffled

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
I think he meant "fake" in the sense that they are not directly hooked up to actual sensors... they are electronic. IIRC.

I vaguely recall mine making some funny, quiet, little noise... if yours is that bad you probably need to replace the gauge pod. Which oughta cost an arm and a leg, if you can find one.

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
well they are hooked up to the ecu which is hooked up to the sensors...

·
Registered
35 Posts
yup there hooked up as inputs pcm reads sensors, and mines always made that noise too first time ive ever heard anyone else complain kinda funny, thought it was just mine svtf

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
All fords that I know of have idiot gauges. They are more like lights with needles. If they were "real" then the oil pressure would move up and down with the gas pedal. Instead it just pops up and stays. Now the oil temp sensor would be more like a real one, but even then it's not too accurate, like a autometer one would be.

·
Registered
528 Posts
All fords that I know of have idiot gauges. They are more like lights with needles. If they were "real" then the oil pressure would move up and down with the gas pedal. Instead it just pops up and stays. Now the oil temp sensor would be more like a real one, but even then it's not too accurate, like a autometer one would be.
Well, I dunno if they are as accurate as an AutoMeter, but I know my oil pressure moves up and down with throttle position. And the temp comes right up like the water temp. So they are tad more than the other idiot lights and gauges.

I've never noticed a sound, but I'm sure they make some kind of noise, I'll check in the morning when I turn it on.

·
Registered
130 Posts
the svt oil press gauge def moves up and down depending on rpms

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
I'm not an engineer so I can't begin to describe it, but our Thermador Pro Ranges have a similar setup... there is a massive dial front and center that shows temperature. It looks just like a thermometer you would see mounted on top of a BBQ. But it's actually electronic, and simply receives a signal voltage from the ECU. So it's not really showing you the actual temperature based on readings from the sensor, but rather indicated values based on tables in software contained on the board. Isn't the SVT gauge set basically the same principle? But at this rate we're overthinking it... bottom line is his set makes noise. [:D]

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you hooked up a real oil pressure gauge it would read a lot different than the stock one.

Also the noise is heard when turning off the key.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Well, I dunno if they are as accurate as an AutoMeter, but I know my oil pressure moves up and down with throttle position. And the temp comes right up like the water temp. So they are tad more than the other idiot lights and gauges.

I've never noticed a sound, but I'm sure they make some kind of noise, I'll check in the morning when I turn it on.
the svt oil press gauge def moves up and down depending on rpms

Really it moves? Wow then it'd be the first one I know that really works like it should. I'll have to check my SVT when I get it up and running.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
I'm not an engineer so I can't begin to describe it, but our Thermador Pro Ranges have a similar setup... there is a massive dial front and center that shows temperature. It looks just like a thermometer you would see mounted on top of a BBQ. But it's actually electronic, and simply receives a signal voltage from the ECU. So it's not really showing you the actual temperature based on readings from the sensor, but rather indicated values based on tables in software contained on the board. Isn't the SVT gauge set basically the same principle? But at this rate we're overthinking it... bottom line is his set makes noise. [:D]

Agreed, why the noise is the main problem not how they work lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
lol i love FF for the reason of

OP: hi guys heres me question
First post: has to do with the question
second: has to do with the question and a little something on the end
third: completely about what was said at the end of second post
fourth-eight post: all about thirds statement.
ninth: almost back on topic
tenth-one hundred: aannnddd were off top again..

lol ill check it when i leave for the parts store in the morning

·
Registered
497 Posts
lol i love FF for the reason of

OP: hi guys heres me question
First post: has to do with the question
second: has to do with the question and a little something on the end
third: completely about what was said at the end of second post
fourth-eight post: all about thirds statement.
ninth: almost back on topic
tenth-one hundred: aannnddd were off top again..

lol ill check it when i leave for the parts store in the morning
Keen observation. 10% of the people on this board know what they are talking about but unfortunately 100% have a keyboard. Because the gauge is electronic, the noise is the gauge mechanism. If it works well I would do anything about it unless you simply can't tolerate the noise.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts