Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night the little odometer window wouldn't light - just a black box.

As of yet, I've been lucky enough to not have any issues with the gauge display, but could this be a warning of things worse to come?

I wonder if any of you have had experience with this and what the problems were... I'm thinking:

(1) Alternator?

(2) Grounds?

(3) Fuse(s)? (Perhaps a result of the Mach HID install I did three weeks ago?)

(4) Gauge cluster is about to go on the fritz?

(5) the COLD? (It got damn cold last night - maybe that shocked it? Seems stupid, as there were no problems the past two winters, and many of you have SVTs in far colder climes than I...)

I'd love any feedback on this - and thanks in advance for your time.

Shep.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Is the led all black or is the bulb just out from the back?

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good question - haven't seen the car today (my wife's out in it), but I think it was "just" (?) the bulb. I could still read the black liquid crystals last night if I looked at it from an angle...

·
Registered
936 Posts
Yeah, that sounds like a simple bulb issue. (crosses fingers for you) ... There's a thread or two in the howto that go into how to change the color of the bulbs in the cluster, any of them should help you get in there and replace the bulb. Don't quote me, but I think its a # 194

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, gentlemen!

How much of a PITA is it? (I mean, have you ever swapped it yourself? Otherwise, of course, I can look for the threads.) The cluster is still covered by my Ford ESP, but it'd cost me the $50 deductible if I have the dealer do it...

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Happened in my 2002 like a year ago lol, never cared enough to fix it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts